Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Gold Coast Titans give David Mead their fullbacking

The Gold Coast Titans have found their number one man and given David Mead their fullbacking

Travis Meyn - Gold Coast Bulletin - April 17, 2014 10:371M

961952-9d5bc878-c1f1-11e3-b397-01c2dd417b4d.jpg

HE has been a shining light in the Gold Coast’s brilliant start to the season but Titans flyer David Mead says he can become even better after snaring the No. 1 jersey he’s craved for so long.

Titans coach John Cartwright will keep Mead at fullback in Monday night’s clash against Penrith despite the return of regular custodian William Zillman.

Mead has been electric since shifting to the back three weeks ago for Zillman (hamstring) with his blinding speed helping the Gold Coast to a hoodoo-snapping victory over the Broncos last Friday that saw them retain top spot on the NRL ladder.

It was his third stellar appearance in the No. 1 jumper, prompting Cartwright to retain the Papua New Guinea international even with his vice-captain returning to the team.

Zillman trained in the centres yesterday but is a good chance of replacing Anthony Don (finger) on the wing.

There is also some doubt over halves pairing Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly, who are on restricted duties because of minor thigh injuries.

Mead, who is the club’s all-time leading try-scorer (53), said he was determined to prove to Cartwright he was the right man for the job.

“I’m very happy but there’s still a lot to work on and a lot of areas to improve. I don’t want to get complacent,” he said.

“I’ve spoken to Neil (Henry, assistant coach) and Carty about where they can help me out with positional play and stuff like that.

“The feedback from them has been positive but I know there’s areas I need to improve.

“They’ve said defensively I’m playing well but I can be a lot better in attack. I feel I can improve and help the team out.”

Mead’s shift to fullback has seen the 25-year-old score two tries, bust 12 tackles and average 166m a game.

He ran for 256m against the Broncos, which included a scintillating 99m solo try, and said he was brimming with confidence after earning the role.

“It does give me confidence (being kept at fullback) but I want to go out 100 per cent focused on the job and not thinking about anything else,” he said.

“I do enjoy it a lot more than I do playing on the wing. I’m not saying I don’t enjoy playing on the wing but I just enjoy fullback a lot more.

“You have a lot more control in how the team’s playing.

“It’s something I’m willing to work very hard on.”

Mead’s only blemish at fullback has been his inability to run out 80 minutes in the high-intensity position.

He has rotated with winger Kevin Gordon in the closing stages of the past few games because of cramping but said there were no issues with his fitness.

“It’s weird because I’m not actually tired but my legs just cramp up. I’m doing everything I can to avoid it,” he said.

“I’ve done a lot of research on it and it’s unknown what the cause is or how to prevent it.

“I’m staying hydrated, getting electrolytes in and those types of things but there’s no definite answer. I’ve tried eating bananas at half-time, before the game.

“It’s been happening since I was playing under-13s. I definitely think it will improve over time.”

Prop Ryan James, who will make his second NRL appearance of the season against Penrith, said Mead was potent from any position on the ground.

“Everything he’s done has been great,” he said.

“He’s always pushing up and running hard. Meady’s lethal anywhere he plays.

“We’ve got a couple of great fullbacks at the club.

“I’m sure it’s going to be a headache for Carty.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1226887623976

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Titans coach John Cartwright will keep Mead at fullback in Monday night’s clash against Penrith despite the return of regular custodian William Zillman.

He won't improve if he's shunted back to the wing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

“I’ve spoken to Neil (Henry, assistant coach) and Carty about where they can help me out with positional play and stuff like that."

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I like that he said Henry and then Carty

Yeah like that Henry mentioned first. Mead is our fullback.

Junior

Zillman's too good of a player to leave out of our spine, maybe we should look at moving him to hooker.

Except he can't pass left at all ... and hardly to the right either.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    “I’ve spoken to Neil (Henry, assistant coach) and Carty about where they can help me out with positional play and stuff like that."

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I like that he said Henry and then Carty
    Wasn't there an article the other week saying Henry was working soley with the backs and Gillmeister with the forwards?
    I am waiting for the day an official announcement is made that Cartwright takes a football directors role and Henry is F/T coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Daubles View Post
    Zillman's too good of a player to leave out of our spine, maybe we should look at moving him to hooker.
    Centre isnt part of the spine. :P
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Welcome to the Forum Daubles. Unfortunately the majority on here think Zillman is far from the total package but your views will always be welcome. I can only support the other replies in relation to your suggestion of him playing hooker.

Thumbs up

You're on the money mate

Quote Originally Posted by SIUATONGA!!! View Post
    You're on the money mate
    Another first poster backing Zillman. How many of his family members to go.

Quote Originally Posted by nimud View Post
    Wasn't there an article the other week saying Henry was working soley with the backs and Gillmeister with the forwards?
    I am waiting for the day an official announcement is made that Cartwright takes a football directors role and Henry is F/T coach.
    I'm waiting for that day to come as well. Bring it on I say however Carty gone from the Club and taking Zilly with him.

i have a feeling our new forum members are being slightly facetious. id be very suprised if they were serious, but would welcome the discussion it would provide.

i am of the beliefs that the dox likiliki should get the call ups cause the centres have been mud