Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    If Zillman is going to miss 1 more match then why is he named at 18th?
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    To get him used to wearing a reserve's number
    Coz he is the 18th best NRL fullback?

Even though our attack inside the opposition 20 has been woeful, we can beat the Tigers. I'm sure the boys will be up for this one and ready to get some revenge for their previous humiliation. We were stopping the Panthers go forward last night but were repeatedly penalised for minor indiscretions. If we can get half a look in from the refs as far as penalties go we can stop the Tigers go forward. Bird won't play two shockers in a row (I hope). I'm going to back our boys to make a statement in this game. The Eels were pretty ordinary last week against them, we won't be.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Junior

I agree, we can win and I'm backing the boys to do so. Ever the optimist when it comes to my team.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Titans insist they belong at the top
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    5:30pm Tue 22nd April, 2014

Statisticians and commentators alike have been pointing at the numbers and questioning the Titans' right to take up residence at the top of the premiership table but coach John Cartwright insists he is only concerned with how many games his side wins.

Gold Coast's four-game winning streak came to an end on Monday night when they weren't able to replicate their Houdini efforts of the previous two weeks in going down to the Panthers 14-12 but they remain one of only four teams with five wins from the first seven weeks.

The Titans will be without in-form front-rower Matthew White for Sunday's clash with the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval after the club accepted a two-game suspension for a Dangerous Throw in the 61st minute of the loss on Monday night.

Mark Ioane, who has been outstanding for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup, gets his chance on the bench in place of White while Luke Bailey (ankle) and William Zillman (hamstring) have been given extra time to get over their respective injuries.

Although the Titans are near the bottom of the competition in a host of statistical categories, Cartwright rejected the notion they were false competition leaders as has been suggested over the past seven days.

"We can't be bothered with what people say. There are a few people out there saying that but the bottom line is your win-loss ratio is where you're going to be judged and we'll be out there trying to win this week," Cartwright said upon the Titans' return to Coolangatta.

"If you look at all the sides over the weekend, the Souths, the Canterburys, the Panthers, it's just the way footy's being played at the moment. I haven't seen a side go out and put 40 on when two good sides play each other, it's just the way football is.

"We're all here reporting on the Gold Coast Titans because we watch them closely but there's no other team out there doing much different to what we're doing. We just happen to have been winning the games.

"When you look at averages you always take away your best and your worst performances and when you do that we're right up there with the very best sides so I'm not real worried about what people say.

"We've got things to fix up but the things that basically win you football games, they're doing very well."

Under the new rule changes and the subsequent increase in ruck speed very few sides have appeared fluent in attack in consecutive weeks and Gold Coast five-eighth Aidan Sezer said he must shoulder much of the burden for the Titans' misfiring offence.

"Our defence keeps us in the games and we've just got to get our attack right and that's something we've got to keep working on. The more games we can play together the better we'll play," Sezer told NRL.com.

"We're getting better in patches but I just think over a full 80 we've got to put in a more consistent performance. I've got to take on a bit of that responsibility myself and try to get our execution in attack a little bit better.

"The past two wins we've been turning up for each other and that's something you can't keep getting away with. You've got to actually beat teams and beat them convincingly.

"It's something we're trying to work on and hopefully we can turn it around against the Tigers in a big game at Leichhardt next Sunday.”

- - - Updated - - -

Brooks ready to step up in Farah's absence
    By Roje Adaimy
    AAP
    3:23pm Tue 22nd April, 2014

He's just a cub, but Luke Brooks says he's primed to take over chief growling duties in the absence of injured Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah.

The 19-year-old impressed his coach, teammates and plenty of fans in Monday's 21-18 win over Parramatta with his level-headedness in what proved to be an epic NRL match.

He showed the utmost composure to slot the match-winning field goal with three minutes left on the clock, after getting the tick of approval from stand-in captain and halves partner Braith Anasta.

"I think we got the ball 50 out, so we were just setting up for it and we looked at each other and we go, `Who wants it?'" Brooks said on Tuesday.

"He said, `Yeah, you take it'.

"We just set up like we do at training and luckily it went over.

"I felt pretty calm because we've practiced it before at training."

Coach Mick Potter praised the youngster - already tipped as a future NSW Origin representative - for his ability to cope with the occasion in front of more than 50,000 people.

"He takes it in his stride. If he was playing park footy he would be the same. It really doesn't faze him. He's good to coach and he's good to watch," Potter said post-match.

With Farah sidelined for up to six weeks with an elbow injury, Brooks said the NSW hooker had urged him to speak up and not be afraid to call the shots without him.

"He said I needed to step up with him being out," the halfback said.

"(He said) me and Braith needed to take control of the team. But I think we've got to improve a bit on that.

"It gives me confidence having my teammates have confidence in me, and the coaching staff.

"It really helps a lot."

Brooks, who has only played eight NRL games, said he paid little notice of the hype surrounding his rising status in the game - so much so that he didn't even know he'd made the back page of a Sydney newspaper on Tuesday.

"I probably won't pick up the paper today," he laughed.

"I guess just reading it I might get ahead of myself, so I try not to read that stuff."

The Tigers sit second on the ladder with five wins in seven games, and on Monday face the Gold Coast who've also only dropped two games this year.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Coach Mick Potter praised the youngster - already tipped as a future NSW Origin representative - for his ability to cope with the occasion in front of more than 50,000 people.
    Let's see how he goes in front of 50 people.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I didn't quite understand the fan fare over a halfback calling and taking the field goal attempt... It's his job. Get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I didn't quite understand the fan fare over a halfback calling and taking the field goal attempt... It's his job. Get it done.
    You are right there DB but I look at his development as a 19 year old and think why we don't/can't bring on kids that quick. Perhaps it's the coaching? No, that can't be it.

Titans website said Blair is in doubt

If he is out then who will come in?

Taylor to Centre? Liks doesn't look likely, neither does Michaels. Not sure what else we are going to do, unless I'm missing someone obvious?

sezer. not even sure if im joking.

A little of the topic but those who have been asking about Likiliki he played for the Bears on Sunday & after letting 3 tries in himself he was replaced by James Dunley who is a Backrower but the coach just said go out & tackle because Likiliki can't.....looks like another genius purchase by the Titans
    #itaintweaktospeak

Noticed Likiliki is on the end of a very long extended bench for the Bears. Hopefully he is getting stuck into the defensive work as his attacking attributes are something that we need. My guess is Zillman will replace Blair at left centre. Won't matter who plays there they won't get the ball unless it is offloaded by Bird. Condon's report on Zillman sounded like he was ready to play this weekend and if Blair is out with that wrist injury then Zillman could be the man. Otherwise I expect Fai Fai Loa to come in and Gordon might interchange at centre with him.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Curtis Sironen signed to new three-year deal with the Wests Tigers

CURTIS Sironen has signed a new three-year deal with the Wests Tigers that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2017 NRL season.

One of a glut of talented youngsters at the joint venture, Sironen hasn't played this season due to a foot injury sustained at the Auckland Nines.

The utility is due for a round-13 return.

The son of club legend Paul Sironen, the 20-year-old said he was glad to secure his future.

“I'm extremely delighted to have extended my contract at the Wests Tigers,” Sironen said.

“Being a local junior, I have always wanted to play NRL for the club.

“I'm looking forward to what the future holds and to be playing NRL alongside some of my best mates is really important to me.

“There is a really good feel around the club and it's an exciting place to be a part of.”

Coach Mick Potter hailed the re-signing as further good news for the in-form Tigers.

“I'm really happy that Curtis is going to be at the Wests Tigers, long term,” Potter said.

“He is an exceptional athlete and his benefit to the team is that he can play a range of positions.

“Curtis is big enough, strong enough and has great skills — his kicking game and passing game are an extremely valuable asset and I'm looking forward to his return from injury.

“It's really good for everyone at the club that our young players want to stay.

“They see a future here and want to keep playing with the players they have been brought up with,” he said.

Sironen, with 25 NRL games for the Tigers, represented City Origin last year.

The second-placed Tigers have enjoyed a 5-2 start to the season and host the fourth-placed Gold Coast at Leichhardt Oval in round seven on Sunday.

http://www.news.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Tiger wounds still hurting for Titans

Clearly Gold Coast's scars from their NRL mauling by Wests Tigers are still a long way from fully healed.

The Titans take on the in-form Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday with memories of their 42-12 thrashing in round two on their minds.

Veteran forward Ash Harrison says while Sunday's trip to Tigers heartland isn't about revenge, there's obviously a record he and his teammates want to set straight.

"No-one can forget round two this year when they gave us a deadset thumping," Harrison said.

"That's still very present in our mind and we're coming off a loss as well.

"Our game's too hard to be worrying about revenge. It's about getting our footy on.

"We haven't been great the whole season thus far and we've got a lot of improving to do and we're looking to do that this weekend."

Harrison was enjoying comfortable surroundings on Wednesday as he helped his sons Ethan and Will take part in a dress rehearsal for a children's fashion parade which will be part of the Titans' Women in League lunch in May.

The atmosphere couldn't be any more different on Sunday as the Tigers aim to continue an imposing record at Leichhardt despite the absence of injured skipper Robbie Farah.

"You have a look at their win-loss record there, they win more than they lose and they're a team in form," Harrison said.

"We'll definitely have our work cut out for us."

It's been two weeks since Harrison announced he would retire at season's end and while an intimidating trip to Leichhardt doesn't sound exciting for a travelling player, the 32-year-old says he's making the most of every game left in his career.

"It was definitely a weight off my shoulders and I'm just bouncing into training," he said.

"Enjoying every day because you never know when it's going to be all over. When you've got that end point you play every game as if it's your last."

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I'll bet Cartwright finds a way to get Zillman to fullback.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.