Default Mead’s dream of making a permanent move to fullback may be closer to reality

From Couriermail.com.au

Todd Balym
    News Limited
    April 12, 2014 10:00PM

DAVID Mead has always coveted a permanent move to fullback and after starring roles in the Gold Coast’s winning streak his dream may be closer to reality.

Mead has carved out a stunning career as a quality finisher, becoming the leading tryscorer in Titans history in his six seasons at the club.

But it’s been his brilliant form wearing the No. 1 jersey in the absence of William Zillman that has made many suddenly take notice of the speed, skills and ability of the Papua New Guinea born star.

Mead produced the match-turning length of the field try in the 12-8 win over Brisbane on Friday night to finish the game with 19 runs, 253 metres and six tackle busts.

In his three games at fullback Mead has averaged 16 runs for 166m, scored two tries, amassed 12 tackle busts plus one try assist and a line break assist.

In comparison, Zillman’s performance in the opening three rounds has averaged 11 runs for 89m, included one try and only three tackle busts.

Mead has studied some of the best fullbacks in the game to take his performances to the next level this season and it’s paying dividends with some “sharp” form according to coach John Cartwright.

Despite playing a key role in the win over the Broncos Mead knows his time in the No. 1 jersey may be limited with Zillman due to return from a hamstring strain for the Penrith clash next Monday.

“I think competition in the team is always very healthy and being put in the No. 1 jersey all I thought was improve as much as I can, learn off the best in the game and try and apply it to my game,” Mead said

“So far the past three games we’ve got some results and I’ve been trying to play that role as best as I can.” Cartwright admitted Mead was capable of coming up with plays few others in the NRL can orchestrate, joining Albert Kelly among those freakish talents in this Titans side who can score from anywhere on the football field.

The problem facing Cartwright now is how does he squeeze Zillman, who at his best is among the finest fullbacks in the comp, back into this winning team.

The Titans are riding a four-game winning streak and while the attack is not clicking as well as they’d like, it’s been the broken play efforts of Mead and Kelly that have ultimately helped get the Gold Coast across the line.

Cartwright has an extended build up for the clash with Penrith to work out exactly how he will shape his team to get the most out of both Zillman and Mead for the trip to Sydney.

“Yeah it’s a good headache,” Cartwright said.

“We have 10 days now, we’ve got a good break.

“Wherever he plays, wherever the pair of them play, they will be there. We just have to work out in what capacity that will be.

“Like I say, next week doesn’t necessarily mean what will happen the following week. It’s a great position to be in.”

The problem facing Cartwright now is how does he squeeze Zillman, who at his best is among the finest fullbacks in the comp, back into this winning team.
    He must be talking about a different Zillman.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

This guy should quit immediately at being a Rugby League journalist.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

You guys are being a bit rough. Zillman is among the best 40 fullbacks currently in the NRL.

...Definitely in the top 50

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    This guy should quit immediately at being a Rugby League journalist.
    I'm not sure it's the Jorno's fault completely. It's Cartwrights mindset that appears to be the original underlying problem. If Cartwright does slip TP back into the #1 slot on his return. We'll know for sure how screwed up we really are..

Stay Tuned I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    You guys are being a bit rough. Zillman is among the best 40 fullbacks currently in the NRL.

...Definitely in the top 50
    I like how you allowed a bit of room for leeway there, mup23.
    Last edited by Toads; 13-04-14 at 06:55 AM.

If Meady doesn't get named at fullback for the next round I'll change my name to Hail Zillman.

We all know Mead will get stuck on the Wing and WOnder boy zillman will go to FB , probaly run a total of 50 meters , no TB , no LB. :|
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    If Meady doesn't get named at fullback for the next round I'll change my name to Hail Zillman.
    Don't mate … we love you just the way you are
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Mead should be at full back for sure based on form
    Zillman is still a very good player
    This forum in the past gave Zilly wraps
    Hate some of you blokes to be sitting on a Jury

We are harsh on Zilly , the thing is he can be a better player then what he has been of late, he needs to do it consistently thats all
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN FAN View Post
    This forum in the past gave Zilly wraps
    Hate some of you blokes to be sitting on a Jury

a jury works on facts and evidence, and most of them lead to the verdict that zillman isn't a top NRL fullback. Good guy, good trainer, but that don't win u final.

And I would love u to find many people giving zilly wraps who are older than 10 and not female. In the forum or around the traps. If NRL players were under as much scrutiny as AFL players, he wouldn't have survived this long. Each NRLs teams fans know there own players who are getting by without delivering, but our media only focuses on stars out of form.

Great news for David and Im sure he will acquit himself well if given the role fulltime. But Im still a bit miffed he has made himself eligible for the cockroaches.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226900064511

Still hot though.
    Dave is rad,Dave is hot,Meady has a scrumptious bot.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN FAN View Post
    This forum in the past gave Zilly wrapsHate some of you blokes to be sitting on a Jury
    I have been on a few juries and fortunately Zilly did not come before me. I would sentence him to games at Pizzey Park.
    Not sure how you came to the conclusion that many on this forum have given Zilly wraps in the past. Off the top of my head he is clearly behind Inglis, Stewart, Hayne, Tomkins, Slater, Dugan, Tedesco, Mini, Mead, Boyd, Milford at least. He is not in the same class as these blokes so why wouldn't Titans fans be looking at other options.

We have also said that he is behind many wingers who play FB occasionally.

B moz, nightingale, RTS, Reece Robinson, Hoffman for starters. The result is that zillman would not be in the top 25 fullbacks in the NRL.

As far as the Zilly thing goes, I think it was a case of being the right guy at the right time. He joined the team and we played finals football. He also joined on a crap load of money, and few have seen the value in the past few years. He had some good games, he became a bit of a cult favourite, and for some reason he became VC of the Titans.

But the simple fact is, David Mead has been outstanding so far at FB. He is exciting to watch and he seems to have a much better working relationship on the field with all the other backline. TP apparently was the master of line breaks, but Meady seems to be getting massive metres.

Also, Meady turns up for golf days.