Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I must admit, I had my doubts about Blair in the halves but he proved me wrong on Sunday. It is really good that we have some depth in that position.

Titans v Broncos preview
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    11:00am Wed 09th April, 2014

Titans v Broncos
    Cbus Super Stadium
    Friday 7.40pm

They have made fewer line breaks than any other team in the competition, they have made more errors than any other team, they rank second to bottom for incomplete sets, are third worst at missing tackles and, ladies and gentlemen, the Gold Coast Titans are your competition leaders after five weeks of the 2014 Telstra Premiership.

As if tipsters needed any further proof that it has been a topsy-turvy start to the season that the Titans can be outright competition leaders despite having a negative points differential is a 60-year phenomenon in the making.

Stats gurus trawled the record books last weekend and discovered that the last time a side led the competition outright despite their for-and-against being on the red side of the ledger was Canterbury way back in Round 16, 1953. If there's a better stat to come out of the 2014 season I can't wait to hear it.

A prominent journalist in Brisbane couldn't resist the juicy odds on offer of North Queensland being the best performed Queensland side this season yet a little over a month later we have the table-topping Titans hosting the third-placed Broncos who have enjoyed a resurgence of their own.

Yes, there are still 21 weeks before our man does his dough but it sets up a salivating south-east Queensland showdown for two sets of fans who have had little to get excited about for the past two seasons.

While the Titans have slogged their way to the top of the mountain with wins of twelve, six, two and one point, the Broncos have been enterprising even in defeat in recent weeks as the two Bens, Hunt and Barba, grow in confidence and Josh Hoffman adjusts to life as a five-eighth.

The smallest crowd that has assembled to watch these teams do battle since the Titans' inception in 2007 is 20,067; even the Cbus Super Snake will need a ticket to get in this Friday night.

Watch Out Broncos: Did we see in Sunday's upset win over the Storm the emergence of a new David Taylor? There were only two offloads and three tackle breaks but his work rate was up significantly on what would be considered normal output for the 'Coal Train'. His 191.4 metres against the Storm was almost 50 metres better than his previous best so far in 2014 and is more in line with the numbers he was delivering at the back end of 2014.

Playing against the club that handed him his NRL debut as a 17-year-old, there is sure to be some extra sting in the Taylor charges and if he can reproduce the sheer numbers that he did against Melbourne, the Broncos will have a hard time keeping him under wraps for 80 minutes.

Watch Out Titans: It took little more than 15 minutes for Justin Hodges to dispel any notion that a second long-term achilles injury would in any way temper his brilliance.

The Broncos have done a marvellous job to start the season in the fashion that they have without their backline talisman but with Hodges now back in the centres and not coming off the bench they are a whole lot more threatening on the right side of the field.

In his return from an eight-month layoff, Hodges laid on a try for Dale Copley by single-handedly dismantling the Parramatta left-edge defence and while the rest of his side's attack stuttered, Hodges looked capable of breaking the Eels apart with almost every touch of the footy.

He ran for 126 metres, had three offloads, a try assist and a line break assist but, most importantly, he got through it mentally unscathed and ready for more.

Plays To Watch: His one-handed way of carrying the footy may not do good things for coach John Cartwright's stress levels but the introduction of Brad Takairangi back into the Titans centres in the past two weeks has added an extra dimension to their attack.

Keeping his long arms out of the reach of defenders, Takairangi has the ability to draw opposition wingers in off their wing in an attempt to shut him down, which is almost precisely when he offloads to his outside support. Look for Takairangi to unsettle the Broncos' defence with the ever-threatening offload.

The major area of concern for the Titans defence will be a fully-stocked Brisbane right-side attack now that Hodges has been reintroduced into the mix.

Ben Hunt continues to grow in confidence and as he spends the majority of the time on the right he now has a glut of choices on his outside. Does he hit a rampaging Matt Gillett back on the angle? Does he release Ben Barba out the back? Or does he hit Hodges with a cut-out pass and let the big man do his thing with room to move?

If they can plant those thoughts in the minds of the Titans defenders, a good part of the battle is already won.

Where It Will Be Won: Execution in attack has been difficult for both of these teams early in the season and with both displaying impressive defensive resolve it will come down to which team can take advantage of what may be limited opportunities.

Opportunities will be presented to the team that can dominate field position and possession and that often comes down to discipline. Only one team – the Wests Tigers – have conceded more penalties than the Titans through five rounds while the Broncos are the best behaved team in the competition having given away just 30.

The team that finishes on the positive side of the penalty ledger will go a long way to ensuring the scoreboard is similarly weighted in their favour.

The History: Played 15; Titans 4, Broncos 11. There have been lean pickings for the Titans in recent years with just one win from their past nine encounters, including back-to-back hidings dished out by the Broncos last season, first a 32-12 win in Round 5 and then a 32-6 shellacking in Round 10. But they're the exception to the rule; on six occasions only eight points or less has separated them at full-time.

What Are The Odds: The Broncos are the $1.68 favourites with Sportsbet.com.au, with the Titans the $2.15 outsiders but the punters give the Gold Coast a real shot. Some 55 per cent of the money has been on Brisbane. In terms of bets though there’s been more bets on the Titans.

Match Officials: Referees – Shayne Hayne & Chris James; Touch Judges – Russell Turner & Chris Butler; Video Referees – Luke Phillips & Paul Mellor.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live 7.30pm (Qld); Delayed 9.30pm (NSW).

The Way We See It: With an injury cloud continuing to hang over Titans five-eighth Aidan Sezer and the loss of Brad Tighe with a shoulder injury for a month, the Gold Coast again head into a game with a reshuffled backline. But they seem to thrive on adversity and will adopt a gritty, no-frills approach if there are a number of new combinations in play. The Broncos look a lot more settled with the return of Hodges and have a stranglehold on the Titans in recent years. The response of the Gold Coast fans to their team sitting on top of the table will be of significance because their team may need to feed off their energy. The short turnaround may hurt the home side; the Broncos by four points.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Broncos Must Focus For Titans

<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=twbWR2bDrG4-Ew6ckbIVLvkJCmpM_L8d&pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d 3348d605"></script>
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans Task A Big One

<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec =tqMDV2bDqwPKcjDqcxNx8Kro34vfuVj1"></script>

The NRMA Insurance Broncos only have to take a look at the Gold Coast's last 'kill' to realise how good the Titans are going.

The 28-26 upset win over the Storm in Melbourne last Sunday is all the evidence needed.

The Broncos know how hard it is to get a win at the home of the Storm.

While the Broncos beat the Storm on the opening day of AAMI Park back in 2010, to find the next victory in Melbourne you have to go back over a decade to find a golden-point win in 2003.

It is proof of how well the ladder-leading Titans are going and how hard the Broncos' job will be to beat them on the Gold Coast on Friday night, said Justin Hodges.

"It is going to be a massive game for us," he said.

"They are top of the table and playing some great footy.

"They had a big win against Melbourne down there last weekend, which is very hard to do.

"We have a big rise in opponents this week."

Hodges made a successful return from a long lay off with a lower leg injury last week, coming on after 20 minutes in the 25-18 loss to the Eels.

He has pulled up well and is ready for 80 minutes against the Titans.

"I was pretty nervous for the first game back," he said.

"The first 20 minutes is pretty quick so I stayed out of that and came on when everyone was a bit fatigued.

"I went out there and played 60 minutes so I am feeling confident.

"It pulled up a lot better than expected.

"It was sore after the game but felt fine the next day.

"I'll have another run this week and get ready for game two."

http://www.broncos.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans star wary of Barba-watching
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    7:00am Thu 10th April, 2014

As a kid he would marvel at the long-range tryscoring exploits of some of the game's great entertainers but Titans fullback David Mead insists he won't be a passive spectator if his opposite number, Ben Barba, breaks free on Friday night.

While Barba came under fire for his performance for the Broncos in last week's loss to the Eels and is yet to break his try-scoring drought for his new club, Mead was superb against Melbourne in his second effort filling in at the back for William Zillman.

There is the chance that Zillman could return from a hamstring injury in Friday night's blockbuster at Cbus Super Stadium but the performances of both Mead and winger Anthony Don may cause coach John Cartwright to err on the side of caution.

It will be a night of milestones on the Gold Coast as the table-topping Titans celebrate the 200th NRL game for Luke Douglas and also Kevin Gordon's 100th game for the club.

Opposing Storm superstar Billy Slater last Sunday, Mead scored a try, ran for 144 metres and came up with some critical plays at the Titans' defensive side of the field and drew high praise from his coach following the two-point win.

Since being given the opportunity to play fullback at the end of last season and also for Papua New Guinea at the World Cup, Mead has gone to school on the way the likes of Slater and Manly's Brett Stewart approach their work. Like all league fans he was captivated by Barba's displays in 2012 but does not want to see a return to that type of form on Friday night.

"I definitely enjoyed watching how he played in 2012 when he had that freak year but in saying that I'm going into the game 100 per cent focused on my job and doing it the best I can so our team can get the result," Mead said. "I can't get too caught up watching him do what he does.

"Obviously you've got to be aware of the type of player he is and what he can do so we've got to try and shut him down.

"During the week we have a look at the different teams' strengths and weaknesses and for the Broncos their strengths are having Benny Barba on the left and Justin Hodges is back from injury and showed what he is capable of doing and Matt Gillett, we've got to really watch him as well."

In addition to the extra involvement and ability to pop up when try-scoring opportunities present themselves on any part of the field, Mead says he is enjoying the extra responsibility that comes with wearing the No.1 jersey.

Whether it's identifying a shortness in the defensive line, a weakness in the opposition or trying to predict the areas that opposition kickers are targeting, the 25-year-old is relishing being more engaged than he normally is on the wing.

"I think it's having more control in the game. Having a look at the opposition to see where their weakest point is or which part of the field to attack, having that control is what I find a lot more attractive than playing on the wing," he said.

"I haven't really played much fullback so I looked at Billy Slater and Brett Stewart, those types of players, I look at some of their clips and see what they do really well and try to use their type of game-plan in my game. Obviously I haven't had much of a chance to use that but watching them definitely helps my game.

"You've definitely got to do all your study on the kickers in the game because they're very different and kick to different parts of the field.

"You've just got to study each kicker differently every week and we certainly do our homework, myself and the two wingers, to make sure we're bringing the ball back as far as we can to help all the forwards out."

Although he is six games short of joining him in the Titans' 100 club, Mead and Gordon are dead level on 52 apiece as Gold Coast's all-time leading try-scorers but the part-time custodian said there won't be any flamboyant celebrations to match his boyhood idols should he edge in front against the Broncos.

"Guys like Nathan Blacklock, Anthony Mundine and Steve Renouf, mainly because of the long-range tries they used to score and the entertainment they provided," Mead said of the players he admired growing up.

"They'd do the post-try celebrations so those guys I really enjoyed watching.

"[Titans coach John Cartwright] hasn't banned [post-try celebrations] but I don't really have any up my sleeve just yet. We'll see how the year pans out."

Default Vbookie Round 6 betting Titans vs Broncos

Vbookie Round 6 betting Titans vs Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    That didn't work. I'll try again.

Default Vbookie Round 6 betting Titans vs Broncos

Titans boss Graham Annesley is urging Titans fans to show their support and fill the stands
    PETER BADEL GOLD COAST BULLETIN APRIL 10, 2014 11:25AM

TITANS boss Graham Annesley has appealed to the Gold Coast’s flagging supporter base to fill Cbus Super Stadium for the NRL derby with the Broncos tomorrow night.

Despite the Titans’ surge to the top of the table, the high flyers have an average crowd of only 10,760 after two home games this season.

Weather extremes have been blamed for the figures. The Titans attracted 12,038 fans in oppressive heat for their Round 2 clash with the Tigers, while 9482 braved the wet to watch the Gold Coast’s Monday Night Football defeat of the Cowboys.

Last season the Titans posted a crowd average of 14,570, which was a worrying 47 per cent decrease on the 21,618 *average in their maiden year at Robina in 2008.

Titans crowds have been a concern for some time but *Annesley said a Queensland showdown with the Broncos would be a true barometer of the club’s support.

“This is our biggest game of the year in terms of potential crowds at home,” Annesley said. “We have a couple of good games coming up later in the year but the local derby is always massive.

“We are sitting at the top of the ladder and the Broncos are two points behind so it is virtually a top-of-the-table clash

“With both teams in winning form there is no reason why we shouldn’t have a great turnout subject to reasonable weather.

“An excellent result would be a full house. My objective is to get us as close to a full house as possible.

“Both teams are playing well enough for it to be an *attractive game for fans to make the extra effort. Hopefully they will.”

Annesley said the Titans needed to attract 15,000 for a reasonable return but insisted it was too early to be hitting the panic button.

“We’ve only had two home games,” he said.

“I wouldn’t like to put an exact figure on our break-even because it can vary depending on the packages, corporates and ticket-types we sell. We’d been looking for a crowd in *excess of around 15,000 to have a reasonable return. ”
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

Hey @TITAN PETE, any pax update for this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    I wagered a whopping 20 titaniumoneroos on the Titans beating the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I wagered a whopping 20 titaniumoneroos on the Titans beating the Broncos.
    I bet my full 500 ... why? because we win this and my season is made and if we don't then I don't care.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I bet my full 500 ... why? because we win this and my season is made and if we don't then I don't care.
    You can retire to vfiji

Just heard that about 18k pre sold at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    You can retire to vfiji

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I never got a chance to put mine on last week. I was gonna put all 500 on us against the Storm. Can I still get the payout anyway, because it's what i was really gonna do. Honest.