Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Veteran lock Ashley Harrison considering another season with Gold Coast Titans

From Couriermail.com.au

Travis Meyn
    The Courier-Mail
    April 04, 2014 11:00PM

TITANS veteran Ashley Harrison says his future is a week by week proposition but a surge in form could tempt him to push on next season.

Harrison produced a trademark performance in Monday’s 13-12 win over North Queensland and will have to do the same against Melbourne at AAMI Park tomorrow.

The 32-year-old topped the tackle count with 46 and ran for 113m in an 80-minute performance that showed how crucial he is to the Gold Coast.

After 270 NRL games and 15 Origin appearances for Queensland, the lock is in no hurry to commit beyond this season.

The Titans this week shored up their squad by activating options to keep hooker Beau Falloon and halfback Albert Kelly next year.

Harrison, who is contracted to the Titans through next year, recently completed financial studies and said he was not guaranteed to be playing next season.

“I’m not going to be one of those guys who just hangs on and hangs on,’’ he said. “The day I feel I’ve had enough I’m going to let them know.

“As long as I’m still feeling good and I have got the desire, I’ll keep going.

“If I’m not playing good footy I may as well not be there. That’s what it’s going to get down to.’’

Harrison missed the Gold Coast’s gutting final round golden-point loss to Melbourne last year because of a broken hand but he completed an injury-free pre-season which saw him and fullback William Zillman leading the way as the club’s fittest players.

“The body’s good. I’ve got through the whole pre-season and I haven’t been able to do that for a long time,” he said.

“Hopefully that will benefit me at the back end of the year knowing I’ve got the k’s in the legs.

“I’m usually a bit behind the eight-ball and it takes me a bit to get going.

“Injuries are another thing. It’s a big thing and only god knows what will happen there.

“I’m not looking too far ahead.”

The Titans are sitting in the top four with a 3-1 record despite not yet hitting their straps in attack.

Harrison was confident the points would start flowing as halves Aidan Sezer and Kelly played more together.

“Providing we stay healthy, can keep grinding out wins and improve a little bit as the weeks go on there’s no reason why we can’t be there at the end of the year,” he said.

“People have been saying the games are boring but if we keep defending like we have and work hard at training the attack will come.

“The NRL now is about who can get it done on the day. It doesn’t matter what you did last week or the training session before.”

The Titans will finalise their preparations for the Storm clash today with Sezer (quad) and winger Kevin Gordon (hamstring) expected to play despite being on light duties this week.

Maurice Blair has been placed on standby for Sezer while Ryan James will also train this morning

Don't worry guys, he'll only stay on if he keeps playing good footy

so when will he start playing good footy?, may sound harsh but i don't think he is offering anything in attack at the moment, just tackling
    Last edited by Kevin Rablin; 05-04-14 at 12:05 PM.

Give it up Harro, the worst thing about old guys hanging on is it drops an up coming guy, and he misses his chance.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

I remember when matty rogers retired dell asked him "why are you retiring, you seem to be playing good footy" and rogers replied "I would rather people asked me why i am retiring rather then when am i retiring"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rablin View Post
    I remember when matty rogers retired dell asked him "why are you retiring, you seem to be playing good footy" and rogers replied "I would rather people asked me why i am retiring rather then when am i retiring"
    What a great call. Reminds me of Seinfeld. Going out on a high.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 06-04-14 at 08:23 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Let's not forget Rogers cameo though ... Harrison, thanks but no thanks.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I remember reading Wayne Bennett saying he'd rather his players retire a year too early then a year to late a few years ago although Newcastle must have driven him nuts e.g Gower,mason,tahu,
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan

Quote Originally Posted by toddythetitan View Post
    I remember reading Wayne Bennett saying he'd rather his players retire a year too early then a year to late a few years ago although Newcastle must have driven him nuts e.g Gower,mason,tahu,
    For Bennett his wisdom is only what suits him at the time.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Default Harrison to retire

Harrison to finish stellar career

Mon 7th April, 12:36PM A A

Vastly respected iSelect Gold Coast Titans lock Ashley Harrison has today announced he will end his outstanding 15-season NRL career at the end of the season.

Harrison had a year remaining on his Titans contract but “knew it was time” to draw down the curtain. He picked an appropriate time to make the announcement, days before he matches up against the club where his career began back in 2001, the Brisbane Broncos, in this Friday night’s top-of-the-table local derby at Cbus Super Stadium.

He is 11 days away from his 33rd birthday but has been in tremendous form in the Titans’ four victories in 2014. He is a qualified financial advisor and has long had plans to go into that industry.

Titans executive director Michael Searle, who was instrumental in bring Harrison to the club from the Sydney Roosters in 2008, said Harrison’s early decision and the way he relayed it to the coaching staff and teammates was a mark of the quality man Harrison is.

“Ash Harrison has been a wonderful leader on and off the field for many years and I would expect him to play a role in its future for many years to come,” said Searle. “It is critical for our game’s future to keep people like Ashley involved in the game’s administration.

“I would like to acknowledge the gravitas with which Ash and his family made this decision and the announcement.”

Titans coach John Cartwright paid tribute to the consistency and commitment of Harrison.

“Ash is the thorough professional and the impact he has on our team extends far more than what you see on match day,” said Cartwright. “His influence is enormous at our club; he’s irreplaceable.

“He is just consistent every week at club level, season after season, and has shown his quality through how valuable he has been to Queensland over seven series. He’s a player others want beside them and he continues to be one of our best this season.

“He’ll be able to retire knowing he has deserved every accolade and has done everything possible to achieve what he could have.”

Harrison will play his 272nd first grade game against the Broncos on Friday which sees him move into 40th place on the all-time appearance list in the game’s 106-season history. He is on the verge of being in the top 10 Queenslanders (Michael Hancock is in 10th place with 274 appearances) on the all-time list too.

He played 52 NRL games for Brisbane from 2002-02, 66 for South Sydney (2003-05), Sydney Roosters (2007-08) before heading back to Queensland to be a rock for the Titans since 2008 (111 games). Only Mark Minichiello (154), Luke Bailey (137) and Scott Prince (124) have played more games for the Titans.

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Vastly respected iSelect Gold Coast Titans lock Ashley Harrison has today announced he will end his outstanding 15-season NRL career at the end of the season.

Harrison had a year remaining on his Titans contract but “knew it was time” to draw down the curtain. He picked an appropriate time to make the announcement, days before he matches up against the club where his career began back in 2001, the Brisbane Broncos, in this Friday night’s top-of-the-table local derby at Cbus Super Stadium.

He is 11 days away from his 33rd birthday but has been in tremendous form in the Titans’ four victories in 2014. He is a qualified financial advisor and has long had plans to go into that industry.

Titans executive director Michael Searle, who was instrumental in bring Harrison to the club from the Sydney Roosters in 2008, said Harrison’s early decision and the way he relayed it to the coaching staff and teammates was a mark of the quality man Harrison is.

“Ash Harrison has been a wonderful leader on and off the field for many years and I would expect him to play a role in its future for many years to come,” said Searle. “It is critical for our game’s future to keep people like Ashley involved in the game’s administration.

“I would like to acknowledge the gravitas with which Ash and his family made this decision and the announcement.”

Titans coach John Cartwright paid tribute to the consistency and commitment of Harrison.

“Ash is the thorough professional and the impact he has on our team extends far more than what you see on match day,” said Cartwright. “His influence is enormous at our club; he’s irreplaceable.

“He is just consistent every week at club level, season after season, and has shown his quality through how valuable he has been to Queensland over seven series. He’s a player others want beside them and he continues to be one of our best this season.

“He’ll be able to retire knowing he has deserved every accolade and has done everything possible to achieve what he could have.”

Harrison will play his 272nd first grade game against the Broncos on Friday which sees him move into 40th place on the all-time appearance list in the game’s 106-season history. He is on the verge of being in the top 10 Queenslanders (Michael Hancock is in 10th place with 274 appearances) on the all-time list too.

He played 52 NRL games for Brisbane from 2002-02, 66 for South Sydney (2003-05), Sydney Roosters (2007-08) before heading back to Queensland to be a rock for the Titans since 2008 (111 games). Only Mark Minichiello (154), Luke Bailey (137) and Scott Prince (124) have played more games for the Titans.

Harrison has also represented Queensland 15 times in State of Origin in 2005 and from 2008-13, playing a role in six series victories.

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2014/0...ar_career.html

Well I didn't see that coming. Well done to Harro on a stella career.

Great decision by Ashley - timing couldn't be better. Gives the team and himself even more to play for.

Hopefully we can send him out the way he deserves.

Well done on your Career Ash just hope it's not one season too late,,,,, nah maybe the boys can stretch your retirement till October
    #itaintweaktospeak

For me sad to see him go but all good things in football must come to an end. He has always bee one of my favourite players no matter what club he played for .