Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Roberts signs, Proctor could be next

From Couriermail.com.au

Travis Meyn
    Gold Coast Bulletin
    March 30, 2014 11:00PM

SACKED Penrith flyer James Roberts will sign a three-year contract with the Titans today as it emerged the Gold Coast has been offered Melbourne Storm’s Kiwi international Kevin Proctor.

Roberts and his management will meet with Titans hierarchy today to finalise the details of a long-term deal at his third NRL club.

The 21-year-old has been punted by South Sydney and Penrith over off-field issues and is seeking what could be a final shot at the NRL.

Roberts’ signature, which will allow him to play this season, comes as the Titans weigh up whether they will launch a poaching raid on local product Proctor for 2015.

Proctor is off-contract this year and has strong ties to the Gold Coast, having graduated from Palm Beach Currumbin’s renowned league nursery in 2007 and playing his junior football for Tugun.

The 25-year-old back-rower has been a key part of Melbourne’s recent dominance, playing 108 games since making his NRL debut as a teenager in 2008.

Proctor’s manager, Chris Orr, said his client was keen to stay in Melbourne but the Gold Coast was an attractive option.

“We’re talking to a number of clubs who have shown interest,” he said.

“His best football is in front of him and everyone acknowledges that. He’s a six-foot-four, 105kg back-rower who can ball-play.

“There are a lot of attractive things about Kevin coming home.

“He’s starting a family this year. Him and his partner are from the Gold Coast and their families are here too.

“But he’s also made it apparent that if Melbourne are within striking distance then he’d like to stay at the club.”

Titans boss Graham Annesley said the club had been approached about Proctor and was yet to decide if it would pursue the two-Test forward.

“We’ve been approached about him, rather than the other way around,” he said.

“At this stage we haven’t really indicated our position.

“We’ve got a number of players coming off contract at the end of the year and haven’t really formulated a position.

“It hasn’t gone anywhere. There’s been no discussions.”

The Titans have some tough decisions to make with veteran forwards Luke Bailey (34), Mark Minichiello (32) and Ashley Harrison (32) coming off-contract.

“We have got players coming off at the end of the year and we have to see what happens with performances this season,” Annesley said.

“We have to see how the team performs and who’s on the market.”

Last edited by K2G; 30-03-14 at 10:11 PM.

James Roberts youtube highlights

oooo liking this.... 6. Aidan Sezer 7. Albert Kelly 3. Brad Tighe/Khan Awang 4. James Roberts 5. Kalifa Fai Fai Loa 2. Kevin Gordon 1. David Mead

possibly Roberts at fullback

It's a great signing & it should really put a cat amongst the Pidgeons because if Roberts head is in the right place he will be on the wing or at fullback within the next few weeks no matter who is available....I do think Zillman would look good wearing a Bears jersey
    #itaintweaktospeak

You wouldn't see me getting upset if we signed Proctor. I've been keeping an eye on him over the last few years 'n I quite like what he can dish out. Get him onboard if the price is right I say..

Great news and these are the type of signings we need to make.

That clip that KI2G posted shows the pace of the kid...unreal.

Is Roberts injured at the minute? Knee or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    Is Roberts injured at the minute? Knee or something?
    Ankle.
    Did it in january - was originally slated to return between round 6 - 8

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    You wouldn't see me getting upset if we signed Proctor. I've been keeping an eye on him over the last few years 'n I quite like what he can dish out. Get him onboard if the price is right I say..
    I remember saying a few years back that we should look at Proctor as he from around here and market him to see if he can get a following of kids due to the sideshow bob look. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    Ankle.
    Did it in january - was originally slated to return between round 6 - 8
    Thanks for that. Thought that I read that he was out for a while. Smart move by him as the Titans pick up the rehab bill.

Just watched the YT post. He has speed to burn. Agree with Pete. He will set that cat amungst the pigeons with our backs.

Glad we finally signed an exciting fullback.
    Can't help but doubt he'll get in the team without injuries, despite his obvious talent.
    Personally, i hope he's not being viewed as option in the centres and unlike the majority of our team, is played in his best position.

As for signing Proctor - its such an obviously good move that I can just see us fumbling it (Dugan, Cronk, Hunt, Lyon etc). It also worries me just how highly regarded Mini and Harro are within the club, and wont be suprised if their contract extensions are prioritised ahead of bringing in Proctor.

Glad we finally signed an exciting fullback.
    Can't help but doubt he'll get in the team without injuries, despite his obvious talent.
    Personally, i hope he's not being viewed as option in the centres and unlike the majority of our team, is played in his best position.

Looking at the YT clip fullback looks to be his best spot. Kinda excites me at the prospect of him and Alby forming a good combination.

As for signing Proctor - its such an obviously good move that I can just see us fumbling it (Dugan, Cronk, Hunt, Lyon etc). It also worries me just how highly regarded Mini and Harro are within the club, and wont be suprised if their contract extensions are prioritised ahead of bringing in Proctor.
    Love to see Proctor here and agree with you. Most or if not all players we have signed from the Storm have not done too well under Cartys coaching.