Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taka's wake-up call

From Couriermail.com.au

Travis Meyn
    The Courier-Mail
    March 28, 2014 11:00PM

BRAD Takairangi has opened up about his Titans axing and revealed it was the wake-up call he needed after taking his position for granted last year.

Takairangi made a successful return to the NRL in Sunday’s win over Canberra after being overlooked for the opening two rounds in favour of recruits Maurice Blair and Brad Tighe.

His dumping came after playing 18 games last year and he couldn’t land a spot despite the defection of Jamal Idris to Penrith.

The former Rooster admitted he didn’t take his demotion well, turning in a below-par performance for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup before realising what he needed to do to earn an NRL reprieve.

Blair’s defensive problems saw Takairangi earn a recall against the Raiders and the 24-year-old said he was determined to stay in first grade.

“I was pretty disappointed at the start of the year but I’m back in there now,” he said.

“The first week (at Burleigh) I struggled a bit mentally.

“The second week I was back into the swing of things and I’m just grateful I’ve got another opportunity.

“I know I can’t take it for granted anymore. You just can’t afford to take anything for granted.

“Last year there wasn’t as much competition as there is this year.

“It’s all done and dusted now and I’m back in and that’s all that matters.”

Takairangi joined the Titans last year as Sydney offloaded players to make room for Sonny-Bill Williams and Michael Jennings on their way to winning the premiership.

The Titans have an option to extend the Cook Islands international’s contract beyond this year and Takairangi said he had to prove he was worth it.

“As long as I’m playing well it will look after itself,” he said.

“I’ve got my spot back and the first thing is to keep training hard and ripping in.

“I’m definitely feeling more comfortable than I did this time last year.

“I know my role now and I definitely feel more comfortable.”

Takairangi is battling a minor ankle complaint but should be fit to face the Cowboys on Monday night at Cbus Super Stadium.

He’ll oppose ex-Roosters teammate Kane Linnett, one of the NRL’s most underrated centres, and said it wouldn’t be an easy night.

“He’s a good player. He’s strong and very quick.”

I Iike Taka very strong in attack & defense but can leave a gaping hole when he rushes up sometime just Kelly but it shows he will back himself at times which I prefer to someone like Gordon who is Robot like ATM
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yeah KG's not looking great so far this season, Meady's having a bludger of a season so far too - but i reckon it's pretty harsh to be giving the wingers shi* considering how diabolical our attack has been. Also, the decision making of both centre's in defense has been making KG and Mead look much much worse than they are. I hope KG get's it together soon though (he looks slower, his tackling technique is getting a real workout by oppositions, and he seems to have lost so much of the evasive skill he made his name from in years gone by) because i will have no concern changing my name to 'kickit2roberts' should i have to

I think we will see (and need to have) a bit of a player clean-out at the club over the next 12-18 months. Taka will be one of the few guys other nrl clubs might make a grab for, if we decide he is surplus to requirement, unlike Bailey Harro, Zillman, Michaels, Henry who i think will probably be heading towards the super-league to prolong their careers post-titans. You'd have to think 1 of our 4 very capable hookers will be getting looked at by other clubs as well.

If we are to bring in the likes of roberts, ahwang (and to a lesser extent proctor), and be able to offer them a legitimate opportunity to cement a first grade spot, as-well as lure decent players who aren't off-cuts from other clubs - we need to get rid of some of the dead-weight currently at the club.

I really like Taka, but i won't be overly upset or surprised if his contract isnt extended. I'd rather we punted Blair first (Tighe's growing on me)

The addition of roberts will throw another spanner in the works for this position. I see roberts at the back but I wouldnt be surprised to see carty play him at centre. In this case i would personally want tighe to retain the other centre spot. Like ki2g said, hes growing on me. Particularly after his efforts against the raiders

I do like Taka though and think he can still have a role in the team. If he could fill out that frame of his he could make a very handy back rower

I definitely agree with you Hail Sezer, Roberts and Tighe for centres unless Khan Awang guns it and Taka for second row, bring some momentum off the bench

Tights best yrs are behind him, he's been around forever jumping in and out of grades. Not someone who u would desire for the upcoming seasons if it could be helped.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Yep, Tighe's a journeyman now but will serve honestly ... I also am very disappointed in Gordon's and to a lesser extent Mead's performances thus far but they are far from alone. Cartwright's problems are rooted around his selection policy ... remember back to the days when we were winning consistently but always questioning his selections?

I think we could win a premiership with the nucleus of this team and some enthusiasm from the outside backs ... Takairangi is a ball-playing backrow (don't worry about his physique) remember we got rid of Gavin Cooper ... two stylish centres such as Roberts and maybe Ahwang (who knows) with wings who can do more than just run a bit ... KFFL (strength) and Don (height) plus Proctor who is Minichiello with good hands (and qualifies as a local) sounds better to me. Mead at the back is certainly a better option than Zillman until someone else steps up or he makes it his own.
    Last edited by Titanic; 29-03-14 at 02:14 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

The only reason I'm disappointed with the wingers is that they are playing in this side.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

yeah the wingers are getting zero chance to shine, so can only be average or worse.

I agree with titanic, we have the nucleus of a super side, but it needs to be harnessed or our 'premiership window' will close before we even get to the top 8.

Wingers can make their chances to a certain extent and we can't keep blaming everyone else in the team ... lack of penetration, missed tackles, bad reads and dropped catches can't be offloaded on to other players ... lack of opportunity can. Don't get me wrong, I like our two but they are a long way from their best at the moment.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

All that goes without saying. I can see the form getting worse tbh.
    Last edited by teke; 29-03-14 at 06:00 PM.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    yeah the wingers are getting zero chance to shine, so can only be average or worse.

I agree with titanic, we have the nucleus of a super side, but it needs to be harnessed or our 'premiership window' will close before we even get to the top 8.
    unfortunately I don't think this side is close to a premiership window, can't see it within 5 yrs
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

@kickittogordan. Leave David alone.
    Dave is rad,Dave is hot,Meady has a scrumptious bot.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    unfortunately I don't think this side is close to a premiership window, can't see it within 5 yrs
    Hope Don scores first try Monday night paying $13 worth a lazy $10. You tipped him to me ages ago and he got up.
    Dave is rad,Dave is hot,Meady has a scrumptious bot.

I was quite surprised to read the article. Taka has hardly done enough to justify him taking anything for granted.