View Poll Results: Broncos: Should Bennett Step down?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - Time to step aside Wayne

9 39.13%
  • NO - One of the best ever, Wayne's job for life

14 60.87%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teegy
    First change should be Locky to Fullback
    Id like to see how that goes, him being back ... probably where he should of stayed. Although, if he had a better halfback to play with to take more pressure of him, at 5/8 he could be fantastic. Seymour is still learning though.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

At Fullback he was compared to Langlands. why would you move the worlds best fullback

Quote Originally Posted by Teegy
    First change should be Locky to Fullback
    I agree, Lockyer has not performed at 5/8 in comparison to his services as a Fullback.

Also watching the Broncos, they seem to think their fullback is their 1st or 2nd reciever most of the time this year. At least they would get the ball into some decent hands.
    2007: The Centenary of the Mighty Roosters & the Birth of the Mighty Titans.

Lockyer doesnt perform as well at 5/8 becuase he is flat footed when he gets the ball.

He needs to be running into holes, from another playmaker, and atm Seymour is not that person.

Watch Lockyer with Johns this year, and you will see Lockyer can make it as a 5/8.

Bennet will learn alot also from this series with Johns/Lockyer combo, and i expect a massive learning curve for young Seymour starting the minute they return.

I have no doubt he can make it as a 5/8 just think he could be the best fullback ever

i'd like to see bennett stand down but who ya gonna replace him with?
    he ain't goin anywhere.

give the broncos a hooker that can create things around the ruck,a half who can take pressure off lockyer and has a good kicking game,give more game time to young forwards like sammy thaiday,put hunt in the centres,blood some more outside backs like steve michaels,gideon mzembe,he just has to start putting a bit of faith in his younger players.i mean i'm all for this give em time to develop strategy but bringing back 36 year olds every season aint helping the future of the club.look at who is departing the club,tom learoyd,berrick barnes,darren mapp.

No. You do not replace perhaps the greatest rugby league coach of all-time on the advice of:

1. Mark Geyer who for some unknown reason is now a celebrated rugby league expert in some circles (Why? A whole new thread) or

2. The paid rugby league media who in the majority of cases are not Bennett fans and vice versa.

The Brisbane Broncos DO need to go back to the drawing board and there is no better coach in the NRL to that with despite what a win-loss record in the finals series tells you since their last premiership win.

From what I saw in 2005, the Broncos were hellbent on trying to repeat 1998 and 2000 with the simple forward play in the first 10-20 mins relying on the brilliance Darren Lockyer for that something special for the rest of the game. The main difference, gone were the likes of Allan Langer, Kevin Walters, Ben Ikin, Gorden Tallis etc. who were also able to turn a game. In short, Brisbane had options in those last two premiership winning efforts, fast forward to 2005, their attack relies on Darren Lockyer who is not a traditional ball player who can be guilty of making the wrong read in attack.

Wayne Bennett had this team atop of the competition for the majority of the year, the Broncos were the premiership favourites and were once again about to continue their stunning run of 14 straight semi-final appearances. What went wrong?

It has all been said when it comes to the players. There were injuries, mental and physical fatigue etc.

Does it come back to their training? Is it their rehabilitation? Those close to Bennett can comment further.

Yes, Bennett needs to reinvent the Brisbane Broncos again, funnily enough, the experts were telling us he had done this when they held an 8 point buffer over the rest of the 14 teams in the competition.

The Broncos I feel need to clean out some dead wood, look at perhaps another option at half and give Lockyer some support. The try he scored vs the Tigers in their semi final loss was classic Darren Lockyer running the perfect angle, the same type of angle he ran weekly as the best fullback we had seen since Changa' Langlands.

The Brisbane Broncos will keep Bennett, the Brisbane Broncos will compete again in 2006.
    Last edited by DeeGan; 29-09-05 at 02:08 AM.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Despite fading in recent years, they have been easily the most consistant team in the competition. A year without them making the semis would be extremely bizzare, whereas other teams come and go.

I think they might be the victim of their own loyalty though... their players usually stay on board for many many seasons, therefore they rarely sign new players and perhaps are becoming a bit static and too comfortable.

well it seems very likely Jane Carlaw and Corey Parker will be told they can negotiate with other clubs,and the Broncos have just signed young Roosters enforcer Ben Hannant much to the disgust of big artie.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgey
    well it seems very likely Jane Carlaw and Corey Parker will be told they can negotiate with other clubs,and the Broncos have just signed young Roosters enforcer Ben Hannant much to the disgust of big artie.
    I read that in the RLW as well though the Mole is not someone that instills me with any confidence when reading his some of the info from his "sources".

Dane Carlaw is playing out of his league (how did Hagan allow for him to be picked in Origin in 2005???) though Corey Parker has fans at Brisbane.

If the signing is confirmed, not bad at all. Hannant was impressive in the limited action he received in grade for the Roosters. He will only get better.

corey parker was 2 years below me when i played at logan brothers,i never rated him as a junior and i still don't.

but hey somebody rate's him.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Corey would be a big loss. He's a great player imo.

And i've always liked Carlaw, in his prime form he was great.. just needs to rediscover the touch again. If he moves to another club and gets regular gametime he'll most likely go back to the Dane of old, much like Harrison, Prince and others have taken off after leaving the broncos.

I though Carlaw went alright when he came on the paddock in brissie's last game. I agree - he needs a change of scenery. I think PArker could also be in that category, Im with SD, I think he is a good player.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Corey Parker resigned this year ... well Im pretty sure he did, because he wants to be a Bronco for life.

As for Carlaw I don't care if he goes.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

I can't believe Carlaw got picked for State of Origin! that was a true case of incumbancy gone wrong! PICK ON FORM YOU DAM REP SELECTORS!