View Poll Results: Broncos: Should Bennett Step down?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - Time to step aside Wayne

9 39.13%
  • NO - One of the best ever, Wayne's job for life

14 60.87%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Broncos: Should Bennett Step down?

Broncos: Should Bennett Step down?

Mark Geyer is calling for Wayne Bennett to step down from the Brisbane Broncos coaching position, what do you think?

After 18 seasons, 5 premierships, is it time for Wayne Bennett to step aside for his successor after seeing his proud club falter at this business end of the season for the 5th time since winning the 2000 Grand Final?

Vote now and post your reasoning.

Cheers

DeeGan

I believe he should unless he can grow and develop his style - the bash and barge doesnt really work anymore.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Time for a change of direction for the broncs. As we have seen over the previous years the broncoes Stamina dies in the last quater of the season.

IMO bring in a new Coaching staff and get some new methods in there. They cant do any worse than they have been (would be nice though )
    REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!

Ahh imgaine a Broncos wooden spoon - there is a God!

Sorry no offence intended [broncosgirl]..

Titan CEO

Why does he need to step down? He got the Broncos to the finals....the broncos were first for most of this years comp. Thats pretty damn good.

With that being said tho..i think he needs to bring in some more younger guys maybe to freshen the club up , the last 2 years they have failed miserbly towards the end of the year. Maybe some new tactics and players but i dont see the need to step down if he can still do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    Why does he need to step down? He got the Broncos to the finals....the broncos were first for most of this years comp. Thats pretty damn good.

With that being said tho..i think he needs to bring in some more younger guys maybe to freshen the club up , the last 2 years they have failed miserbly towards the end of the year. Maybe some new tactics and players but i dont see the need to step down if he can still do the job.

True.

Look at the 2 coaches this weekend. Sheens and Murray. Both have been around forever, I think he does need some outside opnions.

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    True.

Look at the 2 coaches this weekend. Sheens and Murray. Both have been around forever, I think he does need some outside opnions.
    yep, the tigers have royce simmons and he does great stuff for them ever since he went there.

Also i think bennet is a little to loyal to some players. If a player isnt doing the job or needs to improve then bennet has to put his foot down and drop the player or say your position is up for grabs...pull your socks up.

you can't go around blaming the coach for the players. Wayne is one of the best rugby league minds in the game, But his side was tired and the big players didnt step up. during the off season i think he need to sit back and look at the other teams he might need to change his style a little bit, maybe a huge move such as moving lockyer to fullback, but he needs to think he game through, When he hits the hot spot, he is great.

So have the Broncos been tired for 5 years?

And they cant blame Origin anymore because other teams have just as much representation as they do and didnt struggle.

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

... Head says Yes, Heart says No. Also you know what, I'd still support the Broncos if we ever got the Wooden Spoon, but I reckon if we did, or missed the 8, it might be even more of a wake up call. I know Bennett has come out not (finally) and said we need to change and reinvent our selves...but still.

... Look if Bennett changes a few things then No, I posted this one the Kennel, so Im just going to copy and paste, because I coudlnt' be bothered retyping it

Bennett needs to change things drasticially. I think Webke and Civo have about another year in them, but why the hell have both of them on at the same time... I mean they're both not ball players, they do the same thing ... Eh oh well.

I k now some changes are being made for the pre season trials - ages away I know. Lockyer at fullback, Hunt in centres, Seymour at 5/8, and don't know about halfback though.

Bennett needs to blood more young players, we have a lot of good players. Kenny, Michaels, Eastwood, Clarke etc etc. Thaiday needs mroe game time, Costigan needs more disipline. WB also can't be afraid to drop players when the aren't performing *coughs* Berrigan, Carlaw * .... He needs to not let "mateship" get in the way.

I don't think sacking Bennett is the best thing, but someone needs to give him a wake up call, and Im glad hes seeing we need a change in direction, he needs to fix up some parts.

Bennett has to get past waht has worked in the past ... coz guess what - it aint working anymore. Bennett has often had the opinion of once we're guarenteed the 8, thats ok, which explains how well we do in the middle of the season, and how crap we do back end. Bronocs are prepared to reach their peak too early in the season.

He needs to:

1. Bugger off some of the older forwards nad bring in guys like Thaiday Kenny, Clarke. I so can't wiat to get Stagg back next year too, we missed him.
    2. Not let his mateship with players stand in the way, I know he has faith in the players to step up and peform ecah week, but if they dont' do it for 4 weeks in a row....(or a whole season i.e carlaw) they need to be dropped and earn their way back
    3. Younger guys need to be given the go, if payers are dropped, no more bringing in
    retired players, or second rate players who dont' perform that well (minto - who i used to bve a fan of until I saw Michaels) ...
    4. Better Training, we get way too tired in games, earlier than other teams, although I bring this mainly down to the age of some of our forwards. But still. Better training also brings in better attitudes, I hope what they look like is n't how they feel. Half of them back end of the season look like they don't want to be there .
    5. If the team isn't working FIX IT ... when we were on our run, of course the team wasn't going to change, it was working. But WB stuck with teh same team in all 7 losses, he could have dropped Bott, brought in Michaels.... we needed to try new things.. Thats why I really hope he does in the pre season trials try Locky back at fullback, we need to experient with our player positions to see which arrangement brings out the best in our attack.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

Bennett is the master of re-inventing teams. I see it more of a case of him being arrogant in his ways as of late, severe changes need to be made within the team. Benny is the one man can do it and make it work, however if he refuses to do anything about it; then call for his head.
    2007: The Centenary of the Mighty Roosters & the Birth of the Mighty Titans.

Bennett doesn't need to set down. he needs to accept more help from others. he chooses his team how he likes it and thats not the way to go

Give him one more year to bring the Broncos back

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    Give him one more year to bring the Broncos back
    I dont think its as simple as that. If he is going to re-invent the Broncos, he may have to do some experimentation with the team, which means he won't always get it right, re-invention isn't going to mean immediate success.

Its as long as he's willing to make changes. But hey if it does bring immediate success then so be it... but I think next year wont be perfect.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

First change should be Locky to Fullback