Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    we must be the only NRL Club in the comp to be happy that our current no1 is injured & hopefully long term
    I feel so bad but its true...
    I was hoping for at least 3 weeks, enough time for someone else to cement the #1 jersey... then Maybe come back into the side as a back-up in the centres or wing....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    Been reading the forecast for this game and it is predicted to be still be in the mid-20s by kick off, humid, cloudy and raining. Talk about getting hit with everything at once! No doubt it'll affect the crowd figure. Not to mention it is a Monday night game so naturally less people will go.
    And just to make it a bit harder for people to get there in time, I think it has a 6.30 kick off. Games on Monday night are usually a 7pm start but I gather we have been screwed because of daylight saving yet again.

Foxsports changed their approach to their broadcast scheduling this year. In the past they used to put their worst rating game in the 5.30pm Saturday slot and their best game in the Monday spot. This year, they are beefing up their Saturday scheduling and leaving their worst drawing game to Monday night where there is no other sport on and ratings are huge anyway.

As a result of this - have a look how many Monday games we have!!!

There are going to be some long and lonely nights out at Skilled late this year when NOBODY is going.

On another thing - what's the story with Zillman?? I thought he was going to be out long term??

It just occurred to me that the two players we have in doubt for this one are SEZAR and ZILLMAN and yet our bench has only been extended to include RIDGE and JAMES.... Zero sense!

Green looking for right rub
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    10:30am Wed 26th March, 2014

They're a club that has known frustration at the hands of the whistle-blowers in big games in recent times and North Queensland coach Paul Green has expressed his concern that the tough calls are being weighted against his side in the opening three weeks of the season.

Tariq Sims was ruled by officials to have knocked on during last Saturday's loss to the Warriors but a broken nose and several stitches gave Green cause to believe that his lock forward had in fact been the victim of foul play.

Coming off the back of semi-final exits in 2012 and 2013 that were tainted by controversial refereeing decisions, Green believes the Cowboys are due some good fortune when they meet the Titans on the Gold Coast on Monday.

"He got a few stitches and a broken nose. It was an interesting decision to rule a knock-on on that occasion," Green said of the tackle on Sims. "You can clearly see a bit of contact on his head so I thought we might have been a bit of a chance of getting the ball back there but that wasn't the way the game panned out.

"You just want some consistency. I think there were some tough calls that went against us which I'm happy to cop, as long as we get a couple go our way. I just want to make sure that that happens."

Currently sitting in 11th position with one win from their opening three games, Green refuted any suggestion that there was cause for panic, reiterating his belief that better performances are "not that far away".

He has named an unchanged 17 with Rory Kostjasyn to start at hooker and Ray Thompson coming off the bench but says the longer preparation can be just as much of a minefield as a short turnaround.

"Sometimes longer weeks are harder to prepare for," Green said. "You've got more time on your hands and the tendency as coaches is you want to get a bit more work into them. You've got to be careful you don't overcook the boys either and come game-time they're flat from all the extra training that you've done.

"Long turnarounds can be tricky so we have to make sure that we get that right."

The Cowboys have given up handy leads to their opposition in all three games to date and while he is more concerned with delivering an 80-minute performance against the Titans, Green did concede that there will be additional emphasis on starting strongly.

"It's important that we start well because if you don't start well you just put yourself under pressure and I'm talking more there about how we actually play," he said.

"The tries that we've leaked early, we've also leaked some soft tries later in the game too. We need to save a couple of those but as I said, it's more about us getting into our groove and how we want to play early in the game."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Foxsports changed their approach to their broadcast scheduling this year. In the past they used to put their worst rating game in the 5.30pm Saturday slot and their best game in the Monday spot. This year, they are beefing up their Saturday scheduling and leaving their worst drawing game to Monday night where there is no other sport on and ratings are huge anyway.

As a result of this - have a look how many Monday games we have!!!

There are going to be some long and lonely nights out at Skilled late this year when NOBODY is going.
    Good pick up. I hadnt noticed this shift. Usually it was the third pick over all I think.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Zillman named, wtf?

Anthony Don plays first game of season for Gold Coast Titans as William Zillman ruled out with hamstring tear
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN MARCH 26, 2014 11:41AM

TITANS flyer Anthony Don will play his first NRL game of the season when he replaces William Zillman against the Cowboys on Monday.

Zillman has been ruled out for three weeks after suffering a grade 1 hamstring tear against in Sunday’s win over Canberra.

Don, who has been playing for Burleigh this year, will go on to the right wing with David Mead to shift to fullback in place of Zillman.

The Titans are still sweating on the fitness of five-eighth Aidan Sezer, who is on light duties because of a quad strain.

Nate Myles and Brad Takairangi missed this morning’s field session because of minor ankle complaints.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior

Glad the Don gets a shot, I rate him higher then Kffl..

Titans v Cowboys preview
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    4:15pm Wed 26th March, 2014

Titans v Cowboys
    Cbus Super Stadium
    Monday 6.30pm (EST)

This shapes as a classic encounter between two teams both currently suffering an identity crisis.

The Titans have book-ended a horrible performance against the Tigers where everyone seemed to be working from their own individual game-plan with two gritty victories built on unrelenting defence with some dashes of individual brilliance.

The Cowboys, under new coach Paul Green, seem so intent on not making any errors in the opening 20 minutes of games that they seem to have forgotten to play football and have given up leads of 16, six and eight points in their opening three games of the season.

So are the Titans going to build their premiership push on their hardened forwards or rely on the skills of Albert Kelly and Dave Taylor to dig them out of trouble? Will the Cowboys revert to their free-flowing style of footy or will Green's more structured approach ensure they are contenders in 2014 and not pretenders once again?

Monday night will tell us a lot as the Titans endeavour to prove that they can be a consistent footy team on a week-to-week basis while you can expect the Cowboys to jump out of the blocks like bridled brumbies finally being set free.

The Titans have been dealt a blow with fullback William Zillman facing at least two weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring tear, while the longer turnaround will give five-eighth Aidan Sezer extra time to recover from a quad strain that saw him miss the 24-12 win over the Raiders.

Green's promotion of Rory Kostjasyn to the starting side at hooker last weekend showed he is obviously looking for more impact around the ruck area and it will be interesting to see how he balances his hooker rotation on Monday.

This is a big game for both these teams for different reasons – but whoever wins will feel a lot better about their prospects for the remainder of the season.

Watch Out Cowboys: Albert Kelly's scintillating tries may be getting all of the attention but the all-round performances of co-captain Greg Bird go a long way to dragging the Titans into any game they are playing.

Last Sunday in Canberra he ran for 138 metres, made 27 tackles, poked his nose through the defensive line with almost every carry and kicked four goals from six attempts for good measure.

Only Dane Tilse, Joey Leilua and Corey Parker have more than Bird's six offloads, he has a try assist and a line break assist to his name and his 47 total runs ranks 14th in the NRL.

With 12 missed tackles in four games Paul Green may fancy sending some heavy-duty traffic Bird's way but the more he is involved in the game, the better the Titans seem to go.

Watch Out Titans: Keeping an eye on Johnathan Thurston is lesson one in the manual of how to approach a game against the Cowboys, but a Johnathan Thurston who has suffered two consecutive defeats? Now that's a downright scary proposition.

Like Greg Bird, Thurston finds a way to will his side to victories when they may otherwise have no right to do so and after a pre-season that included the Auckland Nines triumph, expectations are that North Queensland are a top-four quality team.

That has not been evident in the opening three weeks but you can bet Thurston will be intently focused on restoring that expectation with a big game against the Titans, just down the road from where he grew up.

Although Robert Lui is trying to share the playmaking load 'JT' remains very much the go-to man, as his three try assists and five line break assists testify. His burgeoning combination with the rampaging Jason Taumalolo is fast becoming a Cowboys pet play but he is not afraid to quickly switch sides to link up with old mate Gavin Cooper on the right if the opportunity presents itself.

The best player in the world will have an influence on this game; it's up to the Titans forwards to determine how much.

Plays To Watch: You can hardly call it a 'play' but there may not be a team in the NRL with two hookers more enamoured with a try from dummy-half than the Titans' Beau Falloon and Paul Carter.

Until Albert Kelly's two pieces of individual brilliance in the final three minutes burrowing over from close range was the only way that the Titans were able to breach the Raiders' defence and there's absolutely no doubt in the world that if the markers are looking a little disorganised close to the line, either Falloon or Carter will have a crack.

The addition of Michael Morgan at fullback has given Thurston another trusted playmaking option, particularly on sweeping plays across the left-hand side of the field. With the likes of Taumalolo and Scott Bolton running aggressive lines that hold up the defence, Thurston is able to shift out the back to Morgan who has the option of going short to centre Kane Linnett or long to winger Antonio Winterstein. Done at pace, it's very difficult to contain.

Where It Will Be Won: The party line from most coaches is that games are won in the middle but this one shapes as a clash that will be decided by the men on the edges. Both teams possess powerful runners of the footy who run aggressive lines and can hit a hole that their respective playmakers spot in the defensive wall.

If Aidan Sezer is unable to take his place for the Titans, that extra polish in the Cowboys halves may be crucial in turning half chances into try-scoring opportunities.

The Titans have missed 99 tackles compared to the Cowboys' 66 thus far in 2014; if that average of 33 missed tackles per game continues, expect Thurston to pile on the points.

The History: Played 13; Titans 7, Cowboys 6. The Titans have had slightly the better of these clashes and have won three of the past four, including the past two at Cbus Super Stadium. The Cowboys have won three games from seven previous visits to Robina, their best result coming back in 2009 when they ran out 34-18 winners. The two clashes last year were shared, the Titans winning 31-12 at home and the Cowboys taking their Townsville rematch 22-10.

What Are The Odds: If you like the Cowboys at $1.62, you will be best to get on sooner rather than later with the amount of early money for them at Sportsbet.com.au indicating their price could come in by the start of the game.

Match Officials: Referees – Adam Devcich & Chris James; Touch Judges – Chris Butler & Jon Stone; Video Referees – Luke Phillips & Andrew Dunemann.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 6.30pm (EST).

The Way We See It: The Titans have displayed an ability to get down and dirty and they will have appreciated the extra day to recover from a game in which they had to absorb 40 completed Raiders sets. For the Cowboys, the wait to bounce back from a shock defeat at the hands of the Warriors will seem like an eternity and – as the Titans did a week earlier – they'll be desperate to atone. A Gold Coast Monday night in March should deliver ideal conditions but a late Cowboys try laid on by Thurston may just break local hearts. Cowboys by 2 points.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Meyn reporting that Blair could be at 5/8 instead of harro if Sezer is ruled unfit.

Thats Blairs natural position. Played there more than anywhere else. Won me a few bob a few yrs back when he was at the panthers
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

That is promising.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Winning is Henry’s only score to settle

THE North Queensland football club Neil Henry arrived at in 2002 was strongly supported by league-loving locals but was something of a laughing stock everywhere else, with the Cowboys having never finished higher than 11th in the premiership.

Henry’s two stints at the club were split evenly between his five seasons as an assistant and five years at the helm, ending last year when the club sacked a head coach who had led it to three straight top-eight finishes.

“When you look at it like that, I guess it might seem pretty funny to people outside the game ... but I am not the first coach who’s been in a position like that,” Henry offered philosophically before muffling a laugh. “It wasn’t that long ago Daniel Anderson took Parramatta into a grand final and 12 months later he was gone, so I think we all come into the job with our eyes wide open.

“It is a cut-throat business and with one, maybe two, exceptions we all know that one day our time will come and we will get that tap on the shoulder.

“Not that knowing that makes it any easier to hear when that day does come, I can assure you. But I do think when things settle, understanding the reality of the job you are in provides some perspective, and you need that if you want a career in coaching.

“I mean I’m incredibly privileged to have a full-time job involved with the game and working for a wonderful club like the Titans, but obviously I wish I was still a head coach — I wish things had worked out differently at the Cowboys,” he said, pulling back from expanding further and allowing an almost awkward silence to settle in.

And so, ahead of his first regular-season clash against the club he long called home and a group of players he helped shape, the obvious question was just what sort of perspective the months since his axing have afforded him.

“It’s been an interesting couple of weeks because we played Canberra last week and there are quite a number of guys I coached during my time there who are still a part of the Raiders side.

“I’m not bitter. You can’t afford to let any disappointment at how things ended affect how you look back on what was a wonderful 10 years for me and my family, and life is too short to walk around with a chip on your shoulder.

“In all honesty, once I accepted the assistant role here at the Titans — that’s the minute my allegiances moved here.

“Besides ... how exactly do you explain how to go about stopping Johnathan Thurston?” Henry said of the huge task confronting the Titans defensive line on Monday night.

“I don’t know any better than any other coach. Just like I can’t tell our guys any real secrets about how to slow down Matty Scott and big Jimmy Tamou if they get a roll on in the middle of the park. I don’t have those answers.

“Obviously, coming up against the Cowboys, they are a team I know well but if anything I think you have to be careful about letting that cloud your preparation. Because I know what all those players are capable of, your first inclination is to try to prepare your new team for every contingency.

“But if you’re asking, do I want to win this game? Of course your competitive instincts mean you want to win every game you are a part of in any capacity.

“Do I want to win this one more than the other 23? . . I think we all like to get one up on old friends, don’t we?”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/