The QRL will take a Maroon training session to Matt Scott’s old stomping ground of Longreach

WHEN people in the bush stop buying beer, times must be tough.

Which is why Matt Scott is thrilled Mal Meninga and the Queensland Rugby League have chosen his old stomping ground of Longreach for the June 10 Maroons’ fan day before State of Origin II.

With central Queensland gripped by one of the worst droughts on record, the Maroons will head west to help bring smiles to faces, raise some money and provide a welcome distraction to the difficulties of life on the land.

Scott, whose sister runs the pub at Ilfracombe, 15 minutes east of Longreach, knows the importance of this trip to the people who are undoubtedly doing life the hardest right now.

“It’s very difficult, it’s a natural disaster but a lot of people don’t see it as such,” said Scott (pictured).

“My sister owns the pub in Ilfracombe and she is affected by it because people just don’t have the money to spend any more.

“I’ve heard some horrible stories from different people about the suicide rate in country Queensland and I’m sure it’s the same in NSW, so it’s obviously very tough on people.

“Origin footy means so much to everyone out there and seeing guys that they wouldn’t usually have a chance to see.

“There’s going to be superstars out there like Greg Inglis and JT and guys like that.”

Such trips are important to the players too.

“I guess it’s just pretty humbling for us as players to go through and take part in these things,’’ Scott said.

It gives you an appreciation to see what Origin means to a lot of people.

“You don’t realise what Origin and the Queensland side means to people in regional Queensland so you know it is motivating and very inspirational to meet those people.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/stat...-1226860577942