Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stadium deal

Banned

Default Stadium deal

Heard something interesting on foxtel tonight. Apparently the Gold Coast Suns need a crowd of just 7000 to break even on game day! Compare this to the Titans' deal which (from David May's estimation) requires 15,000 people to break even. I'm amazed that there such a huge gap between the two deals. What do you guys think?

Probably because the AFL subsidize them with stadium cost like they do with everything else
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    Heard something interesting on foxtel tonight. Apparently the Gold Coast Suns need a crowd of just 7000 to break even on game day! Compare this to the Titans' deal which (from David May's estimation) requires 15,000 people to break even. I'm amazed that there such a huge gap between the two deals. What do you guys think?
    To be honest, I am amazed that there would be such a difference, if you are comparing apples with apples. But I am pretty sure there is more to it than we are getting from your post.

OK, just to humour CSF and to amuse myself I thought I would have a look at memberships for Suns.

Firstly, their site is a joke, and the web address is goldcoastfc, not even suns.
    Seriously, wtf is that all about?
    Do AFL teams actually refer to themsleves as "fc"??? What a bunch of tossers.

Anyway, from what I could gather, because I couldn't be bothered wading through all their hidden prices, that it looks like the membership costs are more expensive than Titans memberships from the very start, so that is 1 point.

Also, it appears that they only have 11 home games a year, while we have 12, so that is another point when comparing membership costs across a season.

But mainly, Titans are allowing 1 free child for each paying adult across a lot of ticketing options, so effectively each free child is a bum on a seat that provides no revenue, but would have to be included in this tally, I would assume.

So, as per my previous post, its only relevant if we are comparing apples with apples.
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 18-03-14 at 09:28 AM. Reason: afl are tossers! They refer to themsleves as "fc"...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    OK, just to humour CSF and to amuse myself I thought I would have a look at memberships for Suns.

Firstly, their site is a joke, and the web address is goldcoastfc, not even suns.

Anyway, from what I could gather, because I couldn't be bothered wading through all their hidden prices, that it looks like the membership costs are more expensive than Titans memberships from the very start, so that is 1 point.

Also, it appears that they only have 11 home games a year, while we have 12, so that is another point when comparing membership costs across a season.

But mainly, Titans are allowing 1 free child for each paying adult across a lot of ticketing options, so effectively each free child is a bum on a seat that provides no revenue, but would have to be included in this tally, I would assume.

So, as per my previous post, its only relevant if we are comparing apples with apples.
    Their site is a joke because they refer to themselves as a football club? I think the idea behind calling themselves fc or a football club is to avoid being labeled a franchise.

I just had a look at the membership prices and it would appear a Titans membership is less expensive on average. The problem with offering free entry is that, as you stated, it produces no revenue and David May did say the stadium deal required 15,000 fully PAYING attendees to break even. He even pointed out that several deals they offer (free entry etc) don't count towards those 15,000 they need. He was then asked as to whether the club made any profits over the last two years or so and didn't reply...

I think I read somewhere the reason for this is the afl contributed funding towards the construction of the stadium, and therefore get a better deal.

If we are talking value for money, the suns wins hands down - doesnt matter what it cost.
    I went to both the suns and the titans on the weekend and everything about the suns is better.
    From a pub accross the road, to seats in the stadium, food and drink variety, bands, closer parking, bring own drinks and food into the game, ect.
    I dont want it to be a titans bashing because i love the Titans/GC and have done since I was playing at half time for seagulls games down at Tweed Heads. Being born here iill go for any national team we can get/keep.

BUT the titans have a LOT of work to do now, they are so far behind.

Whiz is right to question the arrogance of the FC suffix. While it is understandable in Melbourne, rolling a franchise into town and calling it FC when there was already two other football clubs smacks of arrogance and ignorance. It's quite ridiculous.

There is no doubt the AFL gets a leg up in the stadium deal and everyone responsible, including my Labor Party and the own goalers on the RL side should have their ass kicked with a massive boot. If there is an imbalance purely because of any AFL investment, the NRL should be offered the same deal upon investment to equalise the codes.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Their site is a joke because they refer to themselves as a football club? I think the idea behind calling themselves fc or a football club is to avoid being labeled a franchise.

I just had a look at the membership prices and it would appear a Titans membership is less expensive on average. The problem with offering free entry is that, as you stated, it produces no revenue and David May did say the stadium deal required 15,000 fully PAYING attendees to break even. He even pointed out that several deals they offer (free entry etc) don't count towards those 15,000 they need. He was then asked as to whether the club made any profits over the last two years or so and didn't reply...
    Thats another thing, I was a Titans member for the first two years - then i started getting free tickets occasionally and now all the time. I wouldnt pay for a membership because it is better to take the deals and free tickets on offer each home game. Not sure how you can fix that other than playing good football and selling out games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    I think I read somewhere the reason for this is the afl contributed funding towards the construction of the stadium, and therefore get a better deal.
    I think this is the biggest issue with Robina Stadium. I can only assume the Titans just signed whatever deal was put in front of them from state gov/stadiums qld without any thought of a drop off in crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers66 View Post
    a pub accross the road
    The pub being Emerald Lakes Golf Club? Great venue if that's what you're talking about.

Thats another thing, I was a Titans member for the first two years - then i started getting free tickets occasionally and now all the time. I wouldnt pay for a membership because it is better to take the deals and free tickets on offer each home game. Not sure how you can fix that other than playing good football and selling out games.
    I hear you. Would it be fair to say you could get free entry to every Titans home game in 2014 if you went about it the right way?

I think this is the biggest issue with Robina Stadium. I can only assume the Titans just signed whatever deal was put in front of them from state gov/stadiums qld without any thought of a drop off in crowds.

The pub being Emerald Lakes Golf Club? Great venue if that's what you're talking about.

I hear you. Would it be fair to say you could get free entry to every Titans home game in 2014 if you went about it the right way?
    Yeah Emerald Lakes, rock up there a couple of hors before the game and stroll on over.

Yes between what they give out to channel 9, hogs breath, other media outlets and members not going/take their seats. I would happily pay for a ticket though, just saying its why i dont purchase a yearly membership.

I think the site is a joke because that is my opinion, but referring to themselves as "fc" does seems arrogant. It seems a number of AFL clubs do this, while others just call themselves by their motto. Effectively the Titans are a "goldcoastfc" too, same as most other "fc" clubs that have come past, present and fututre, but seem happier to refer to themselves as the club they actually are.

If we are talking value for money, the suns wins hands down - doesnt matter what it cost.
    I went to both the suns and the titans on the weekend and everything about the suns is better.
    From a pub accross the road, to seats in the stadium, food and drink variety, bands, closer parking, bring own drinks and food into the game, ect.
    I dont want it to be a titans bashing because i love the Titans/GC and have done since I was playing at half time for seagulls games down at Tweed Heads. Being born here iill go for any national team we can get/keep.

BUT the titans have a LOT of work to do now, they are so far behind.
    All well and good, but I don't think any of that has anything to do with the break-even cost.

I can tell you now that it would be 100% honest for me to say I can get free entry to any/every Suns home game, but that has no real relevance to the topic either.

Metricon Stadium has been jointly funded by the Queensland Government ($71.9m), Commonwealth Government ($36m), Gold Coast City Council ($23m) and the AFL ($13.3m)
    The funding provided by all three levels of government will also kick start a $200 million investment by the AFL over the next seven years in the development of the code in Queensland. The AFL is making a long term commitment to AFL on the Gold Coast.
    Metricon Stadium is a Stadium’s Queensland venue operated by the Gold Coast SUNS and was designed by Populous and built by Watpac.
    http://www.metriconstadium.com.au/th...m-information/

Banned

I think the site is a joke because that is my opinion, but referring to themselves as "fc" does seems arrogant. It seems a number of AFL clubs do this, while others just call themselves by their motto. Effectively the Titans are a "goldcoastfc" too, same as most other "fc" clubs that have come past, present and fututre, but seem happier to refer to themselves as the club they actually are.
    Fair enough. There is another factor to consider here though. The Suns are actually registered as the 'Gold Coast Football Club' and have been from the start. The Suns nickname came along later on. There was even a time where they considered not attaching any nickname to the club and just being known as GCFC. Irrelevant to the thread though.

All well and good, but I don't think any of that has anything to do with the break-even cost.
    Not really but it's a branch off the main topic as to why the Suns pulled a better crowd on the weekend.

I can tell you now that it would be 100% honest for me to say I can get free entry to any/every Suns home game, but that has no real relevance to the topic either.
    I don't know about no relevance to the topic. I did state what crowd number was required for the Suns to break even as well. I would have thought at least 7000 people from their 19,000 crowd would have paid for entry. Where as the Titans pulled 12,000 to a game that required minimum 15,000 to break even. So even if all those 12,000 were full paying customers (we know they weren't) they were still 3000 people short of breaking even. That is most definitely on topic.