Default Cameron Smith to remain at Melbourne Storm for four more years

Cameron Smith to remain at Melbourne Storm for four more years

Nick Smart
    Herald Sun
    March 10, 2014 10:00PM

CAMERON Smith will finish his illustrious NRL career as a one-club legend after signing a new four-year contract to stay with Melbourne Storm.

The Herald Sun understands Smith has put pen to paper on a multi-million dollar deal believed to be one of the biggest in the game’s history.

The contract until the end of 2018 will see the 30-year-old finish his playing days in Melbourne after joining the club in 2002.

The Storm, Queensland and Test captain turned down a massive offer from the Brisbane Broncos to stay loyal to Storm.

Smith — who is expected to hold a media conference on Tuesday — neither confirmed nor denied a deal had been inked when he spoke to the Herald Sun.

“As I said after the game, the win (against Manly on Saturday) was one of the best I’ve experienced during my career,” Smith said.

“It typifies what our footy club represents.

“Storm gave me an opportunity when I was a teenager.

“To finish my career as a one-club player would be very special. It’s an extraordinary footy club and I’m incredibly proud to be a part of it.”

The new deal will put Smith in reach of catching Broncos legend Darren Lockyer, who is the NRL’s all-time record holder with 355 first grade appearances.

Smith will overtake Matt Geyer for all-time appearances for Melbourne this Saturday when he plays his 263rd game against Penrith at AAMI Park.

He is 93 games short of Lockyer with five seasons to reel him in.

The hooker should comfortably play 300 games and will leapfrog his former Queensland and Test teammate if his body can hold up.

Brisbane had hoped to lure Smith north on a deal worth up to $1 million a year.

They went hard and the star rake has admitted there was a time when he was leaning towards Brisbane.

Coach Craig Bellamy was also beginning to lose confidence.

Storm’s new ownership group — led by chairman Bart Campbell — countered by tabling a rich package early in the new year more lucrative than its initial offer.

It was presented to the captain upon his return from holiday with his family to the US.

It was the turning point with Brisbane bosses privately beginning to concede the battle was lost.

The Herald Sun wrote on February 22 that Smith was poised to re-sign with Storm.

It came down to his preference to keep his young family in Melbourne where they are settled.

Only a miracle will now prevent the Melbourne “big three” from finishing their careers together.

Fellow “big three” member Cooper Cronk will come out of contract at the end of 2016.

Fullback Billy Slater — who plays his 250th game on Saturday — has a deal until the end of next season.

Bellamy has made it clear he will coach Storm until the end of 2016 before stepping down.

Im very pleased with this, I couldnt imagine it any other way.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER