Default Douglas streak could be over

Since debuting for the Sharks in round 2 of the 2006 season, Gold Coast Titan Luke Douglas is about to play his 195th consecutive game
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN MARCH 06, 2014 8:20AM

TITANS ironman Luke Douglas hopes to celebrate his NRL record-breaking milestone by inking a new contract which will keep him on the Gold Coast until the end of his *career.

Douglas will eclipse Jason Taylor’s most consecutive games record when he runs out against former club Cronulla for his 195th straight NRL appearance on Monday at Remondis Stadium.

It’s a remarkable streak that dates back to Douglas’s debut for the Sharks in round 2 of the 2006 season.

Since then, the 110kg prop has played an amazing 10,476 minutes in the thick of the action without suffering a serious injury.

The Yamba product has battled through bruises and strains, suffered broken bones and surgery but never missed an NRL clash. He has made 6092 tackles and run for 20,429 metres.

He’s regarded as one of the most professional players at the club and regularly uses ice machines and magnetic knee braces his late mother Trish bought for him to overcome injuries.

Douglas, who is off contract this year, has never shied away from the hard stuff and the 27-year-old wants to continue his unbeaten run on the Gold Coast for years to come.

“I’d love to stay. It’s handy for me here and I love the joint,” he said after his manager Steve Gillis opened negotiations with the Titans this week.

“The club’s been great to me. I haven’t said it publicly, but when Mum passed away (from cancer last year) I couldn’t believe the support I had.

“I’m definitely hopeful of staying.”

While Douglas will set an official record, his streak dates back even further.

He has only missed one game in 258 since joining the Sharks as a senior player and played 246 straight in club football. He was made to sit out a game as a youngster after blacking out while surfing in Cronulla. Doctors feared he had been struck by lightning.

And while all the hype will be on Douglas finally conquering Taylor’s record, the forward just wants it to be over.

“It is special and it’s something I’ll look back on but I want to be known as a good footy player, not just someone who’s on a streak,” he said.

“Now that it is over I can just rip in. I’m happy with 195. We can stop talking about it and get into having a good season with the Titans. Everyone’s always asking me about it.”

One of those people asking Douglas about it is former halfback Taylor, who will present him with the game ball after Monday’s match.

“I saw him at the (Auckland) Nines and said ‘you better watch out and not do a hamstring’,” joked Taylor, an assistant coach at the Roosters.

“The biggest thing is the position he plays. Hazem (El Masri, 174 games) amassed a fair few playing on the wing and I played at halfback where you don’t really have to carry the ball and get tackled.

“When you’re in the front row that’s your job. It’s amazing to achieve that many consecutive games playing in that position.

“The game’s gotten faster and more physical. It’s very impressive.”

Douglas is adamant he’s just been lucky.

He was once ruled out for a month with a knee injury only to play five days later.

“I’ve just been lucky. I don’t do anything out of the ordinary,” he said.

“All NRL players play with niggles and injury but I’ve avoided the big ones.

“My goal was to play one first grade game so to play this many in a row is pretty cool.

“When I got my debut I wanted to make sure no one took it off me.”

Douglas could be one of few players to pass 300 games if his run of good fortune continues and Taylor believes it would be an achievement well-earned.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Amazing performance from any player but to do it playing prop , incredible effort .
    #itaintweaktospeak

"Now he can concentrate on his job" ... nah, this bloke is walking, talking inspiration ... a pillar within the team.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

It's an absolutely mind blowing accomplishment. All the more amazing when you consider what position he plays as Pete pointed out.

Good luck Luke. You are much loved and respected by Titans fans. You are part of Rugby League history!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Great result for a Prop as they do more running and work than backs do.

Junior

Congratulations are due for a fantastic achievement.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Congats and all that...

Finally he can concentrate on performing for the Titans and not a high streak....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    "Now he can concentrate on his job" ... nah, this bloke is walking, talking inspiration ... a pillar within the team.
    Could not of said it better. Mammoth accomplishment, especially considering he's a prop

Douglas streak could be over

Luke Douglas's new record for the most consecutive games played in the NRL could come to an end with the Titans prop having x-rays on Tuesday afternoon for a possible broken thumb incurred early in his history-making game against the Sharks.

With media attention focused on him unlike at any other stage of his career, Douglas broke Jason Taylor's long-standing record of 194 games when he ran out for the Titans on Monday night yet he may not get the opportunity to add further to it.

"I saw him just before he came off after his first stint, I saw him come out of a tackle and shake it a few times and he got back into the fray and I never really thought too much of it," Cartwright explained. "It was pretty sore after the game.

"It's a little bit ironic isn't it but typical of Luke he didn't let on about it. The doctor knew and he told us about it after the game. We'll see how the x-ray goes but if there is anything wrong... Sometimes they just have to operate if it's a bad break but we're not looking that far down the track. He's getting a precautionary x-ray and we'll worry about it then."

If Douglas does happen to be ruled out it will be only a minor headache for Cartwright who has Ryan James ready to come back into the fold from a shoulder injury in the trials.

James travelled with the squad to Cronulla as 18th man and although he wasn't given the all clear to face the Sharks, Cartwright is confident he will be available for selection to play the Tigers at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday.

"If we had of lost someone in the warm up or through illness we would have used [James] but he wasn't 100 per cent and I don't want him going into the season with a shoulder complaint until it is 100 per cent," Cartwright said.

"He'll get some full contact in this week. He's pretty much doing everything at training now so I'm pretty confident he'll be available this week."

While the attack looked stilted at times during their 18-12 win over Cronulla, Cartwright was full of praise for the character the side showed in defence and believes it is the foundation on which to build a strong start to the season.

"I've never seen the perfect game of footy, but defensively, if you can keep making it hard for the opposition to score that gives you a good chance to win the game," he said.

"You can always keep working on when we have the ball in hand but that defensive stuff is attitude and while ever we can maintain that we're going to be hard to beat."

Source: http://www.nrl.com
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Hope it's nothing and he comes good.

Oh and I hope that we can keep him a few more years.