Default Promotion relegation

Smith said $11 million would be spent on bring the NSW and Queensland Cups under the NRL banner to establish a national second-tier competition, with the winners of both competitions to play off on grand final day at ANZ Stadium.
    This paragraph buried deep in an article about Expansion is a very interesting initiative as it seems likely that if there is a true second tier competition under the NRL then it is likely to be a part of strategy for promotion and relegation.

I would really like that. Imagine, even if just the bottom team has to bugger off (two would be better) how much pressure that would apply to people such as Searle who currently live in a comfort zone?

I go even further and suggest 2 x 12 team competitions which would cater for a truly national competition with every area represented at either NRL or sub NRL level whilst also giving each bid a chance to be included. Top two go up and bottom two go down plus 2 full home and away rounds and more space in the calendar for rep etc. 12 games per weekend would appease the broadcasters and give he fans a wide selection.

If both competitions are televised then they will also be revenue producing and we could watch the Titans v Souffs after watching PNG Hunters v WA Pirates.

NRL: Easts, Manly, Melbourne, NQ, Souths, Canterbury, Panthers, NZ01, Newcastle, Brisbane01, Canberra, Gold Coast.

NRL02: Parramatta, Dragons, Wests, Cronulla, WA, Central Coast, Brisbane02, CQ, NZ02, PNG, Adelaide, NT (for example)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2uIh0b1VH
    Last edited by Titanic; 25-02-14 at 01:44 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Wow we would have been relegated!

I used to think this wouldnt work. Cause not all teams are equal but with an influx of money through central funding, it could work.

Im happy at least to see the QCUP and NSWCUP get some funding and attention. And have a play off.

I guess crowds and membership would be hard to maintain. I know in Super League there is issues with small clubs spending beyond their means to step up and then getting relegated. Like a yoyo effect.

But Super League are headed back towards promotion and relegation and many fans there hail it for greating interest and pressure at the foot of the table. Suddenly more games matter at the end of the season.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Sorry I was assuming you meant QCUP sides.

I think there is definitely potential in your 2nd tier. Id watch that and follow some of those teams.

It's more an expansion and a slice in half of the NRL into two divisions.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Nice one, Titanic. I like the sounds of this, as it'd stick the cat amongst the pigeons (so to speak) with those under performing NRL Clubs. Give them/us the shake up that they need.

At this stage, the only potential negative I can draw on is the crowd numbers as Diehard suggested. Other than that, I like it.
    Last edited by Toads; 25-02-14 at 02:59 PM. Reason: No reason today, just a random unessesary and unforseen edit..

Just had a few minutes to think about it but you would need consider this from the perspective that the NYC and QCup/NSWCup all remain in place, just a first division/2nd division hypothesis. The key is money and money comes from broadcasts and the increased exposure through more games and a wider footprint could be attractive to the key stakeholders to the extent of sustainability. One thing we all have learned over the years is that gate-takings are not your measure of financial independence in fact they shouldn't factor in at all ... except in bush leagues perhaps.

More broadcasts means a higher cashflow and the more exposure means increased sponsorships which means an even higher cashflow ... this is the equation Smith is using when he talks about increasing the non-broadcasting percentages of income ... it's a safe bet on the back of increased exposure.

Anyway, food for thought ... could not work without the salary cap.
    Last edited by Titanic; 25-02-14 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    It's more an expansion and a slice in half of the NRL into two divisions.
    That would be really interesting and unheard of in Australian rugby league....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

The question that has always worried me is the depth of player resources. On one hand we would all love to have a bigger comp but sustaining it has always been an issue. If you take the money factor out based on the arguments above then what about the players? If you can offer a system where all 24 clubs can be visible but only 12 are truly elite than you go close to satisfying both arguments. Just imagine the GF of Division 2 is showcasing the teams to be promoted the following season ... or it could be argued that promotion should be decided by the minor premiership and what a debate that would cause every year when the top two clubs didn't play in the GF?