Koukash plans rugby union player raid

Salford Red Devils owner Marwan Koukash will hit back at rugby union following Sam Burgess’ cross code switch by looking to sign top union stars in the coming months.

Koukash has gone on the offensive claiming that if the current Salford squad need strengthening, he will make a move for British Lions players after the Six Nations Championship is over.

“We as rugby league have to hit back,” says Koukash. “I am happy with the squad but if we have to strengthen, I will buy players from rugby union and I mean the very top players.

“We already have our eyes on a few and if this is what we have to do, we will do it. We are already on the lookout at players who have played for the British Lions. If we want them, we will get them. I will show rugby union what I can do.”

Koukash has also revealed that talks are on going regarding the possible future recruitment of top Aussie RL stars Billy Slater and Cameron Smith. He added: "This is not a publicity stunt and I will make many people eat their own words. I will make Salford the biggest club in the country and I have the cash and the resources to do just that.”

Koukash also believes the salary cap should increase gradually on a yearly basis. He will also take an exhibition match to Dubai and wants a Nines tournament in the UK similar to the one recently held in Australia.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....marwan-6728927