Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Are we going to wear our AWAY jersey at home?
    I hope so... especially if its hot...oh and coz i bought the away strip this year...lol

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

i think i recall us making the warriors wear their dark home jerseys once in the heat. and we wore away strips.

im thinking its too hot to wear a jersey at all tbh. think ill go the polo this round.

i remember a few of our early round 1 games at 1pm aginst the knights. and even last year against the raiders. It was hot as balls.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i think i recall us making the warriors wear their dark home jerseys once in the heat. and we wore away strips.

im thinking its too hot to wear a jersey at all tbh. think ill go the polo this round.

i remember a few of our early round 1 games at 1pm aginst the knights. and even last year against the raiders. It was hot as balls.
    Go singlet

Get le guns out

Wests Tigers ace Brooks bracing for Titanic assault

Luke Brooks knows what's coming this weekend. And next weekend. And every other one this season.

Wave after wave of blokes bigger than him running the football his way. Against St George Illawarra, in just his second NRL game, the Wests Tigers halfback missed nine tackles. The Gold Coast's big boppers, including Dave Taylor, will be looking to increase that tally.

"As a halfback you're always getting targeted by the bigger boys," Brooks said.

"I think that's something I have to get used to - making tackles during the game.

"After the game I am still pretty sore. I think I am going to have to get used to that."

Playmakers have been targeted as long as rugby league has been played. Some enjoyed protection in the form of a 'bodyguard', most notably Tonie Carroll as a minder of Brisbane teammate Darren Lockyer.

Asked if Brooks needed someone to play that role for him at the Tigers, coach Mick Potter said: "It's about not putting himself too much in the spotlight defensively. He's not out there to do 30 efforts defensively. He needs to maybe move out occasionally and just move in when it's suitable.

"He's going to have to make those tackles, I know he can do better and he'll do better this weekend."

The Tigers have been boosted by the return of former NSW prop Keith Galloway, who will take the place of Liam Fulton (concussion). In another change, Marika Koroibete has been replaced by David Nofoaluma.

"I'm not sure how many minutes he'll give us but he's a seasoned player, a senior player and he'll give a good account of himself while he's out there," Potter said.

Skipper Robbie Farah added: "He's a big body, Keithy, an experienced player as well. He's a big part of our group.

"He'll be short of a run, he hasn't trained much during the off-season. Just having him there will add a bit of presence and rub off on the guys beside him."

The Tigers squandered an early lead against the Dragons, who overran them in the second half. It was evident that many of the Tigers players were struggling due to a boil outbreak which hit the club.

"I haven't used it as an excuse, I was very disappointed with the way I played regardless of how sick I was during the week," Farah said.

"Once you put yourself out on the footy field you're there to play and can't make excuses.

"Looking back now, I felt fine but the longer the game went the more it took it's toll. There's no doubt I fell away the longer the game went. I did question whether I was fit enough and things like that.

"Having spoken to the boys and the coaching staff, I think a lot had to do with what we went through last week."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2w0hdIcT0
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Default Titans must be wary of Farah: Bird

Titans must be wary of Farah: Bird

Gold Coast co-captain Greg Bird is adamant NSW State of Origin teammate Robbie Farah will be the key to the Titans' NRL clash with Wests Tigers.

Bird says Farah has always been a devastating attacking option for the Tigers but will pose an increased risk to the Titans on Sunday due to new rules designed to speed up the play the ball.

With Benji Marshall no longer at the Tigers, Bird said it was obvious Farah would be the man the Titans would need to stop to make it two wins from two to start the season.

"He's been the leader there for a long time now," Bird said.

"You've got to give him the respect he deserves otherwise he'll cut you to pieces. With the new rule changes it's really opened up the door for good hookers to take advantage, the quicker ruck speed gives them the opportunity to get over the advantage line and catch blokes napping.

"He used to do it back in the day when they were slow rucks, with the speedier ruck it's definitely going to play into his hands."

The Tigers will be desperate to make up for a poor round one display when they surrendered an 18-6 lead to lose 46-24 to St George Illawarra.

Tigers coach Mick Potter made two late changes to his squad to head to Queensland on Saturday, with Liam Fulton (concussion) and Marika Koroibete replaced by Keith Galloway and David Nofoaluma.

Potter has also named five-eighth Blake Austin as the team's 18th man.

The Titans have brought back-rower Ben Ridge into their squad on stand-by for veteran Anthony Minichiello, who is battling a virus.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8814726

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

We got this. I am confident. Is James gonna play?

Any updates on ticket sales? Im hoping for plus 15k but the Tigers havent been bringing many visitors with them and arent in forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    We got this. I am confident. Is James gonna play?
    He's playing for tweed

The Gold Coast Titans are offering young fans free tickets in a bid to put bums on seats

WHEN the gates swing open for the first Gold Coast home game of the season tomorrow, the Titans will almost immediately start counting their losses.

Not on the scoreboard, but in the bank balance.

This is the reality for many NRL clubs where it doesn’t matter how much you fill a stadium, you’re only putting money in someone else’s pocket.

For the Titans, Broncos and Cowboys the pockets that fill the most are usually Stadiums Queensland, Ticketek and venue caterers.

For every ticket issued to a fan or club member, most never reaches the football club because of enormous overheads such as the “free train travel” which is a cost clubs must pay regardless of how many people board a rattler.

To win back crowds the Titans have offered children free entry to every home game this season with a paying adult into the eastern grandstand.

“No-one runs an event to try and lose money, this is to try and encourage people to come to the games,” Titans CEO Graham Annesley said.

“There is no question the more people we get in the venue the more economical it is for us.

“There is no such thing as a free ticket. We have to pay ticket providers for every ticket we issue, whether we charge them for it or not.

“The only way we can compensate that is by growing the numbers of people who actually attend.”

The truth is, the Titans lost money on all but two home games last season.

Last weekend North Queensland drew just 12,121 fans for their season opener with Canberra, but actually had 14,500 ticket sales.

It was a credit so many fans still turned up despite the threat of a cyclone forming up north.

But as Cowboys CEO Peter Jourdain noted, the new focus on memberships means clubs are no longer at the mercy of the weather because seats are sold months in advance.

NRL boss Dave Smith has set the game agenda to double memberships, which is an honourable target, but it is a bit like preaching to the already converted.

Crowds are roughly the same as they were a decade ago (the 16,468 average in 2005 remains the season record) and TV ratings don’t appear to be growing exponentially.

So what has the game done to actually attract new fans?

Are membership numbers just fancy PR to indicate game growth when in actual fact the number of people engaged with the game through either attendance or television viewing has barely changed at all?

“It’s a bloody good question,” replied one Sydney-based club CEO.

“Have individual ticket purchases increased from one year to the next?

“You’re either a fan or you’re not. We’ve got to work harder as an organisation … converting regular fans into members, that is the first point, but the second one and more important one for us is to try and identify new opportunities.”

For Jourdain the answer to increasing crowds is simple.

“We have to make the experience at the game better than sitting at home watching it on a flat screen TV,” he said.

But doing that is the toughest challenge, especially now fans can watch a game on an iPad from anywhere in Australia for just $2 a week.

“We have to add a lot more money can’t buy type experiences for when you come to the game to make the experience of the game so much better than sitting at home,” Jourdain said.

But then again, if the game doesn’t grow the total number of fans in its entire supporter base, getting people at the game will only reduce TV ratings and reduce the value of the next broadcast rights deal.

Nothing is ever free.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...-1226855195238

Halves Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer hold the key to success at the Gold Coast Titans

THEY are the Gold Coast’s odd couple – a chalk and cheese combination that holds the key to the Titans’ hopes.

And Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer have delivered the message Titans fans have been waiting to hear - they’re ready.

Ready to lead the Gold Coast out of the NRL doldrums.

Ready to deliver success to a team that’s missed the finals for the past three years.

And ready to stop the excuses and near misses that’s plagued this underperforming club for too long.

“We’ve got the team on paper to do great things in this competition and we’ve got a great coaching staff behind us,” Sezer said.

“The ingredients are there. We just need to put it into practice and hopefully the Gold Coast can get behind us.

West Tigers star Braith Anasta says his side is not dwelling on their first round loss to the Dragons and have used the week to tweak their defence ahead of their clash with the Titans on the Gold Coast.

“We want to be a strong team so when people know they’re facing the Titans they look at the team sheet and see Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer on there and it puts a bit of fear into them.

“Being young we’ve still got a lot of things to polish but this year isn’t a learning curve. We’ve had our learning curve.

“We need to realise what our potential is. We know we need to be in the finals.

“If we’re not making the finals then it’s a failure and everyone needs to be accountable.”

Sezer’s strong words come on the eve of the Gold Coast’s first home game of the season against Wests Tigers at Cbus Super Stadium tomorrow.

It’s a must-win encounter for the Titans who have been renowned for dropping games they’re supposed to win.

Leading the charge will be these 22-year-old playmakers with all the talent in the world.

Kelly is the freakish natural footballer. His 90m intercept try against the Sharks on Monday was the type of play he’s most comfortable with.

Sezer on the other hand is the calming influence. He plays with structure and prefers to let Kelly take the risks.

“I’m still learning how Albey plays but every week we play together I’m getting more familiar with the freaky things he does,” Sezer said.

“I still can’t read him but I’m trying to catch up. I’m asking him to get on the same page.

“I’m not pissing in his pocket but he was outstanding against Cronulla. Without him we probably don’t get the two points.

“If it wasn’t for his brilliance we probably wouldn’t have got the win.

“I base my game around structure and power but Albey’s got the flair and speed.

“We complement each other in a way and strengthen each other. It’s a good partnership.”

It’s a partnership coach John Cartwright has taken a punt on as he’s built a forward pack based on proven performers.

Sezer (41 NRL games) and Kelly (36) are two of the least experienced halves in the NRL.

Kelly began his professional career at Parramatta before controversial stints at Cronulla and Newcastle.

He’s finally found a home on the Gold Coast and wants to repay the faith shown in him by taking the Titans to the big show.

“I just want to progress and get us into that top four at the end of the year,” he said after scoring 11 tries last year.

Fox Sports Rugby League analyst Mark Gasnier discusses the new rule changes that have come into effect this year and previews some of the big round two matches.

“We showed a lot of glimpses of what we can do last year.

“If we do it more consistently, we’re going to be in the top four.

“It’s nice up here. We’ve definitely got the support unit around us and good friends to make it work.”

After serving their NRL apprenticeships, Sezer and Kelly are now expected to deliver.

They’ve seen what Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran have done at Manly and at 23, Souths halfback Adam Reynolds is regarded as one of the best in the game.

“I want to progress into a great first grader, not just a good first grader,” Sezer said.

“There’s a lot of good footy players running around. I want to be a great player and get the team into the finals year after year.

“There’s a lot of good things to take out of last year but the negative probably outweighed the good and that’s something we want to turn around.

“We need to get the boys into the finals.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

Head Coach Mick Potter has made two late changes to the squad that will travel to the Gold Coast to take on the Gold Coast Titans at Cbus Super Stadium this Sunday.

Liam Fulton has not fully recovered from a serious concussion he suffered in last week's loss to the St. George Illawarra Dragons and will be replaced in the team by Keith Galloway.

Marika Koroibete has also been replaced in the team by David Nofoaluma.

Tim Simona will make his long-awaited return from injury this afternoon when he starts in the Wests Tigers' NSW Cup squad that is taking on the Cronulla Sharks.

Five-eighth Blake Austin will travel with the NRL squad to the Gold Coast as 18th man.

The Wests Tigers' will confirm their final 1-17 at 2pm on Sunday.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/

Wests Tigers are going to wear orange tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Wests Tigers are going to wear orange tomorrow.
    we wearing blue or white? no clash either way i guess, just interested.

also, in the 'counting chickens' column, a win by 4 or more points tomorrow slots us into second spot on ladder, in a top 3 that most predicted for bottom four.

it means nothing of course, theres 24 rounds to go, but its better than second last i guess.

Judging by the graphic "WHITE HOT SUNDAY", White?

I think its a dumb tag line.

Titans v Wests Tigers

Titans: Ironman Luke Douglas looks set to extend his 195-game streak despite a thumb injury, while David Mead (jaw), Ashley Harrison (concussion) and Mark Minichiello (knee) should all play. Prop Ryan James will drop out, but make his comeback for Tweed Heads in the Queensland Cup.

Wests Tigers: Final fitness tests loom tomorrow for Keith Galloway (toe), David Nofoaluma (hamstring) and Liam Fulton, who is unlikely to play due to concussion. Bodene Thompson will play in the back-row with a finger splint. Flyer Tim Simona has been mentioned as a late smoky.

Update: Fulton has failed to recover from a concussion and will be replaced in the 17 by Galloway. David Nofoaluma has been called up to replace Marika Koroibete on the wing.