Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

I don’t listen to the hype: Brooks

Wests Tigers young gun Luke Brooks says he has shunned the media in the lead-up to his first full season in the NRL.

The promising halfback says he isn’t listening to the hype or those who have tagged him the NRL’s ‘Next Big Thing’.

“The big thing I have learned in the lead-up to this season is probably just not to listen to the media when they are talking about me and to not get too far ahead of myself,” Brooks said on Thursday.

“I just try and stay away from it.

“I’m just concentrating on playing football.

“And out on the field I don’t feel that pressure.

“Once I am out there it comes naturally, the boys are helping me out.

“(That hype)it is not something I am worried about.”

Brooks enjoyed a stunning debut in the Tigers’ late season win over St George Illawarra last year but struggled against the same opposition on Sunday in the Dragons’ 44-24 first round win.

“I found it pretty tough but it was really enjoyable it was good to get out there to learn a few things and get the experience,” Brooks said.

“We have been working a lot on our defence and last tackle options because we really struggled there.

“Hopefully we can turn it around this week.”

Brooks’ halves partner Braith Anasta said the loss to the Dragons would form part of a steep learning curve for the youngster.

“He is going to learn every game but we have to help him every game and we probably didn’t help him enough on the weekend, especially with the kicking game,” Anasta said.

“You have to get confidence in first grade. It is only one performance away. It is only one week away.

“You don’t dwell on it. You come out this week and have a blinder, score a try, put on a good kicking game, set up a couple, all of a sudden you are back where you were on top of the world again.”

The Tigers face first-up winners the Gold Coast away on Sunday.

Prop Keith Galloway (toe) and winger David Nofoaluma (hamstring) have been added to an extended bench but remain 50/50 propositions.

The Roar
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Late Mail for round 2
    Titans v Wests Tigers

Titans: Ironman Luke Douglas looks set to extend his 195-game streak despite a thumb injury, while David Mead (jaw), Ashley Harrison (concussion) and Mark Minichiello (knee) should all play. Prop Ryan James will drop out, but make his comeback for Tweed Heads in the Queensland Cup.

Wests Tigers: Final fitness tests loom tomorrow for Keith Galloway (toe), David Nofoaluma (hamstring) and Liam Fulton, who is unlikely to play due to concussion. Bodene Thompson will play in the back-row with a finger splint. Flyer Tim Simona has been mentioned as a late smoky.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    How many people on this forum are heading to this game? I'll be there
    Yes mate, I'll be there with the family. Wanna catch up for a beer?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I think Alby is the one standout shinning light in the squad atm for taking a punt on himself when he thinks theres something on , last Monday if he missed the intercept Graham strolls over for the try & the Sharks win but thats what makes him so exciting with his unpredictability & he's one of the very few halves that has a chip n chase in his bag of tricks, he will bring the crowds back with that style of play
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN FAN View Post
    I agree with most of the comments
    I thought the centres were pretty ordinary, Kelly, Bird were on fire, Falloon was also impressive given limited preparation, Taylor looked dangerous at times and should improve
    Overall a pretty ordinary attacking performance I was hoping the 2nd in charge had worked on this during the pre season
    Our attack is so predictable and easily read and defended by the opposition
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    Precisely. Sharks first try came about with Alby sliding off the tackle with his right arm raised looking for the intercept and being sold a dummy. He merely evened up the ledger with his own try. Gotta love him though.
    Indeed, he will bring the crowds back. My man-love/bromance with Presto is no secret to long time forum readers, and I see similar reads and choices from Alby, in a better defensive package than Presto, so I am happy to see him bring back some flair to a previously rather ordinary attacking outfit. I just hope at the very least he keeps the ledger balanced. If he is allowed to keep coming out of the line then I guess our defensive line will learn/train to compress and cover the gap.

He is friggin' quick though, especially off the mark, but maintained it end to end last week!!

Speaking of your affection for Presto, I still have your HEY PRESTO banner that he signed. I'm pretty sure I didn't give it back already.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Seven tackles make Tigers over-thinkers

Listen up all you halfbacks out there, because we're about to solve this seven-tackle conundrum once and for all, just in time for Members Round

Think about this: If you think you're over-thinking things out there, then we think that you are.

Did that make sense? Did you get it? Still thinking about it? Or are you still metaphorically standing on that 20m line or wherever else you kicked it dead from, wondering how the hell the other team is now in your red zone?

It doesn't matter if you're shrivelling like Braith Anasta or teething like Luke Brooks, the Tigers have just figured out that the new rules aren't designed to make you the next Russian chess-master.

In case you missed the pre-season memo, according to the brains trust at Concord seven tackles means you're going to have to start looking at what's in front of you instead of what's in that playbook of yours.

In other words: Plaaaaay ball!

"It [the new rules] does affect your kicking game. I think at the start of the season [more so] because you are thinking about not putting it dead, because you get seven tackles," Anasta said, having emphatically learnt that lesson last weekend.

"There's no doubt myself and Brooksy spoke about it after the game, we just need to eliminate the thought process there. Stick to our usual game plan and not worry too much about the new rules in terms of kicking it dead, because it can put you off your kicking game. I think it did that to us to a certain degree on the weekend."

Normally composed Tigers coach Mick Potter was livid with his team's last-tackle options in their 44-24 drubbing at the previously toothless Dragons.

They had raced out to a 12-0 lead, only to let the opposition back into the game with a comedy of try attempts that mainly resulted in the other team getting a free ride up the field.

"Because of the new rules, you need to get your fifth-tackle options right because you've got to try and get that ball back and you can't give away easy possession," Anasta said.

"That's what we did too often. In particular the second half, I don't think we had one good fifth-tackle option. Myself, Robbie [Farah] and [Luke] Brooksy, we've been working hard on that already this week. It wasn't acceptable and we'll make sure it's better this weekend."

Anasta, 32, treated last week's deflating loss like the 15-year pro from Old Bar that he is.

"We thought it was a hell of a lot worse after the game than what it really was," he said, insisting that many of their problems were "fixable".

"We put pressure on ourselves. There's no doubt that we gave too many penalties away and our fifth-tackle options were poor. We put too much pressure on our defence really and we couldn't hold out any longer.

"It's fixable. We've worked hard on our fifth-tackle options this week and obviously with the new rule changes, we've got to get used to the defence and making sure we don't give teams piggy-backs and it just puts pressure on your defence and you lose momentum in games.

"That's what happened to us when we got to the lead, we got a few penalties against us and momentum completely shifted."

The trick will be to teach his teenaged halfback that lesson too, because chances are he's over-thinking the fact that he's not supposed to think about what happened seven days ago.

"Brooksy's gonna learn every game. We've got to help him and we probably didn't help him enough on the weekend, in particular myself, especially with our kicking game," Anasta said.

"You gotta get confidence in first-grade. It's only one performance away and one week away.

"That's all we've pretty much said [to him]: 'Don't dwell on it mate, come out and have a big game this week, have a blinder, have a good kicking game, score a try or two, set up a couple and all of a sudden you're back to where you were and you're on top of the world'.

"Things change very quickly.

http://www.nrl.com/seven-tackles-mak...7/default.aspx

Match Preview: Wests Tigers vs. Titans
    Source: http://www.weststigers.com.au

The Wests Tigers will look to bounce back this week from a disappointing performance in Round 1 when they take on the Gold Coast Titans this weekend.

The visitors were beaten 44-24 by the Dragons in their opening game of the year, and will be out to turn that form around when they come up against a Titans’ side fresh off an away victory against the Cronulla Sharks at Remondis Stadium last Monday.

Read on for a full preview of the match including all the need-to-know match information, TV and live stream details as well as full match analysis.

Match Details

Date — Sunday, March 16, 2014

Time — 3:00pm AEDT (2:00pm local time)

Venue — Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast

TV and Live Stream Details

Channel 9 will show the game on a one-hour delay (commencing at 4pm AEST).

Live streaming is available via the NRL’s Digital Pass (see: digitalpassnrl.com), but will be on a one-hour delay for this game due to broadcasting rights.

For members making the trip up the Gold Coast, we’re also running an exclusive function on Saturday night that is free for members — click here for more details on that function.
    Confirmed Squads

Wests Tigers

1. James Tedesco 2. Marika Koroibete 3. Keith Lulia 4. Chris Lawrence 5. Pat Richards 6. Braith Anasta 7. Luke Brooks 8. Aaron Woods 9. Robbie Farah 10. Martin Taupau 11. Liam Fulton 12. Bodene Thompson 13. Adam Blair (Interchange: 14. Cory Paterson 15. Ava Seumanu***ai 16. Sauaso Sue 17. James Gavet 18. Keith Galloway 19. David Nofoaluma).

Gold Coast Titans
    1. William Zillman 2. Kevin Gordon 3. Brad Tighe 4. Maurice Blair 5. David Mead 6. Aiden Sezer 7. Albert Kelly 8. Luke Douglas 9. Beau Falloon 10. Nate Myles 11. Greg Bird 12. David Taylor 13. Ashley Harrison (Interchange: 14. Matthew White 15. Luke Bailey 16. Mark Minichiello 17. Paul Carter 18. Ryan James).

Match History: Played 11, Wests Tigers won 5, Gold Coast Titans won 6

Round 21: Gold Coast Titans 36 def. Wests Tigers 6

The two teams only met once last year, and it was the Titans that emerged with a strong 30-point victory on the night. Jamie Dowling's early try was cancelled out soon after by Liam Fulton's effort in the 9th minute, but tries to David Mead, Brad Takairangi, Dave Taylor, Mark Minichiello and Luke O'Dwyer saw the hosts finish with a 30-point win in the end.

Check out this week's key matchups including James Tedesco, William Zillman and more!
    Key Players to Watch

James Tedesco, Wests Tigers

Tedesco is coming off a very strong pre-season campaign and showed that form again in the Club’s R1 loss against the Dragons — breaking the hosts apart in the first half with a scintillating 60m try. The fullback has been featuring dominantly in the Club’s attacking moves this season and looks set to play a key role again this week — both hitting a hole as well as releasing his fellow outside backs also.

Albert Kelly, Gold Coast Titans

Kelly’s man-of-the-match performance against the Sharks needs no further praise — such was the raw speed and dominance he showed in the middle. He’ll again be the key man to watch for this weekend, with a strong running game and ability to find space in behind the line both dangers to watch for. However, it’s also worth noting that while Kelly pulled off a 95m intercept try in defense, he was also caught out on more than one occasion in defense. The halfback’s willingness to jump out of the line saw two tries for the Sharks’ attack, which could be something to watch out for again this weekend.

Luke Brooks, Wests Tigers

Playing in just his second first-grade game, Brooks saw plenty of attention in attack and defense against the Dragons and for the most part, handled the extra traffic well. The halfback will be determined to have more of an impact on the game by displaying his strong kicking game — something he spoke about heavily this weekend — and will be looking to ensure he sticks all of his tackle attempts. Brooks will mature with every game he spends on the field, and with experienced heads around him such as Braith Anasta and Robbie Farah, will certainly be a danger-man to watch for here.

MATCH UPS FROM http://www.weststigers.com.au

HEAD TO HEAD: Played 11 - Gold Coast 6, Wests Tigers 5

AT CBUS SUPER STADIUM: Played 6 – Gold Coast 4, Wests Tigers 2

LAST TIME: 2013 - Gold Coast 36 defeated Wests Tigers 6 at Skilled Park.

BIGGEST HEAD TO HEAD WINS: Gold Coast 36 defeated Wests Tigers 6 at Skilled Park, 2013.

Wests Tigers 39 defeated Gold Coast 10 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium, 2011.

James Tedesco v William Zillman

Two of the NRL’s most exciting fullbacks will do battle this Sunday at Cbus Super Stadium with James Tedesco and William Zillman pulling on the number 1 jersey for their respective teams.

After lighting up the field with blistering pace during the pre-season trials and the NRL Auckland Nines tournament, Tedesco was a shining light in an otherwise disappointing season opener against the Dragons. The Italian international scooped up a loose ball on halfway and took advantage of the broken play as he sped away for a try in the 9th minute. After a tough run of injuries during his first two seasons of the NRL, Tedesco looks to be at full fitness and is a danger man in attack.

Heavily involved during last weekend’s 18-12 win over Cronulla, Zillman scored the match-winner in the 71st minute off an Albert Kelly grubber. The former Raider needs just two four-pointers to notch up his 50th career try. Zillman topped the Gold Coast’s line-break tally last season with an impressive 16 in 16 games and will have to be watched closely by Wests Tigers’ defenders.

Pat Richards v Kevin Gordon

The sharp-shooting veteran Pat Richards marks up against Kevin ‘Flash’ Gordon in an exciting battle on the wing at Cbus Super Stadium.

Richards will amazingly play the Gold Coast Titans for the first time in his lengthy career this Sunday after returning from a successful eight-year stint in Super League. His return started with a bang last week against the Dragons as the 32-year-old crossed for the first try of the game. While the end result was a disappointing one, the goal kicking (four from four attempts) and towering kick-offs from Richards were a positive outtake for Wests Tigers Members.

Scoring 15 tries in 22 games last season, Gordon established has himself as one of the most dangerous attacking wingers in the NRL. At just 24-years age, the Sawtell Panthers junior has already played 95 first grade games since his debut in 2009. Although the prolific try-scorer didn’t manage a four-pointer in Round 1 against the Sharks, Gordon made an impressive 139 metres from 15 hit-ups.

Luke Brooks v Albert Kelly

Key men in leading their respective teams around the park, the battle of promising young playmakers Luke Brooks and Albert Kelly will no doubt be crucial to the outcome of this Round 2 encounter.

With just two top grade matches under his belt, Brooks’ is still learning the ropes in the NRL and his halves combination with Braith Anasta is a work in progress. However as shown in his NRL debut last year, the potential that Brooks possesses is enough to excite any Rugby League fan. Despite a tough opening match to 2014, look out for an improved performance from 19-year-old Brooks on Sunday.

Kelly started the 2014 season with a bang on Monday night against Cronulla, gaining a staggering 231 metres that included a 90-metre intercept try. With the scores locked at 12-all late in the match, the Bowraville junior set Zillman up for the match-winner with a cheeky grubber in behind the line. Kelly is one player who can capatalise on quick play-the-balls and Wests Tigers defenders will need to work hard to stop the Titans getting a ‘roll-on’ if they are to come away with the two competition points.

What time do the gates open? Can't find the info anywhere on the club website.
    It's a 4 hour drive for me and like to time it so we get there at opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    What time do the gates open? Can't find the info anywhere on the club website.
    It's a 4 hour drive for me and like to time it so we get there at opening.
    Gates Open - 11:40am
    NYC Kick-off - 11:45am
    NRL Kick-off - 2pm

finishing work at 1pm. wish i could there nice and early but its gonna be a rush job dammit.

I hope the Titans are going to look after our supporters and offer free sunscreen, water, hell even fans and visors to those in the East. It's an extremely important issue in my book.

Are we going to wear our AWAY jersey at home?

I think kev marks up on koribete not Richards. Marika was right wing last weekend
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Gates Open - 11:40am
    NYC Kick-off - 11:45am
    NRL Kick-off - 2pm