Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    We should get a real chance to put some finishing touches to our attacking structures this game, and we know our defence will hold up. Heat/fatigue will be the biggest danger IMO. I'd suggest the youngest/fittest squad. Will be interesting to see how Coaltrain handles lugging his big frame around. For the record, I think he will be the difference between us making finals or missing the 8. His attitude and fitness. And Ryan James coming back into the squad and making damaging runs.

Alby rushing out of the line is such a 50/50 that it is hard to know whether it is a good thing or a bad idea.... so exciting when he makes it happen, but so dangerous to the defensive line when he misses. Thoughts?
    I think Alby is the one standout shinning light in the squad atm for taking a punt on himself when he thinks theres something on , last Monday if he missed the intercept Graham strolls over for the try & the Sharks win but thats what makes him so exciting with his unpredictability & he's one of the very few halves that has a chip n chase in his bag of tricks, he will bring the crowds back with that style of play
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

How many people on this forum are heading to this game? I'll be there

I agree with most of the comments
    I thought the centres were pretty ordinary, Kelly, Bird were on fire, Falloon was also impressive given limited preparation, Taylor looked dangerous at times and should improve
    Overall a pretty ordinary attacking performance I was hoping the 2nd in charge had worked on this during the pre season
    Our attack is so predictable and easily read and defended by the opposition

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I think Alby is the one standout shinning light in the squad atm for taking a punt on himself when he thinks theres something on , last Monday if he missed the intercept Graham strolls over for the try & the Sharks win but thats what makes him so exciting with his unpredictability & he's one of the very few halves that has a chip n chase in his bag of tricks, he will bring the crowds back with that style of play
    Precisely. Sharks first try came about with Alby sliding off the tackle with his right arm raised looking for the intercept and being sold a dummy. He merely evened up the ledger with his own try. Gotta love him though.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

I'm going. Hoping for a big win. Just my kids sit still long enough. ;-)

Speed returns for Tedesco after old knee injury

WESTS Tigers speedster James Tedesco has not timed himself over 100 metres for a long time.

"I had a lot of speed as a kid but, when I did my knee, I lost that a bit," Tedesco said.

"It took a while to get back to 100 per cent. I feel at the moment that I'm back to 100 per cent and feeling good.

"I'm about 94 (kilograms) at the moment. It certainly was a goal to put on weight, but to keep my fitness and speed. I'm feeling at my peak."

The evidence was there for all to see at the Auckland Nines last month and again as the Tigers opened their season against St George Illawarra at ANZ Stadium last weekend.

Tedesco was outstanding on both occasions, showcasing the speed and guile which had him earmarked as a future star before he was struck down by a knee injury only 30 minutes into his first-grade debut in 2012.

Even though he returned last season, the blazing speed was still missing. The turning point was the World Cup at the end of last year, when he played in the Italian side alongside Sydney Roosters veteran Anthony Minichiello.

"Last year I was thinking about it quite a bit," he said.

"People told me it would take 12 to 18 months to get over an injury like that. To do it the way I did - just returning the ball like I do every game - it plays on your mind a bit.

"I took a lot of confidence out of the World Cup. I had a great experience over there. It was awesome, especially working with a bloke like Anthony Minichiello.

"To learn off someone who is such a great player and such a great bloke was awesome for me. He was our captain but he was also our coach.

"He had a lot to say with our game plan and gave us a lot of encouragement and advice, especially to me. Any fullback tips he gave me I listened carefully."

Tedesco, off contract at the end of the year, is one of the reasons Tigers officials and supporters can afford to look ahead with such optimism.

"Since I've been here we've had some pretty poor years," he said.

"Some of the older blokes have told me that this is the hardest period that they've been through at the club. They are saying it's all up from here and can only get better.

"That's encouraging for us younger guys. We all know that we're young and still have a way to go, but the more we play together and the more first-grade games we play will be beneficial for us and the club.

"Guys like Mitchell Moses, Luke Brooks, Manaia Cherrington, Kurtis Rowe - we have a lot of young guys coming through. It's good that we're all close mates.

"It's good to see us all coming through at the same time and if we get to play with each other one day, it will be awesome."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    I'm going. Hoping for a big win. Just my kids sit still long enough. ;-)
    The young ones certainly can be a handful when going to a game. Would be awesome to start the season 2-0.

[B]NRL Round 2 Preview: Gold Coast Titans v Wests Tigers[/B]

What: NRL round 2
    Who: Gold Coast Titans v Wests Tigers
    When: Sunday, March 16 – 2pm (AEDT)
    Where: Cbus Super Stadium
    I can watch it on: Channel 9

Things you need to know:
    Ironman Gold Coast prop Luke Douglas is battling to play after suffering a thumb injury in Monday night's 18-12 win over Cronulla. Ironically, Douglas only broke Jason Taylor's record of 194-consecutive games in the season-opener. X-Rays have cleared the prop of a fracture but he have further scans and treatment through the week to prove his fitness. Ryan James is 18th man and would come into the side if Douglas misses out. Tigers coach Mick Potter has stuck faith with the same side who were crushed 44-24 by the Dragons in the season-opener. Despite a nasty concussion in round one, Liam Fulton has been named in the back-row but he will be monitored during the week. Keith Galloway and David Nofoaluma are on a six-man bench.

Reason to watch:
    Standing at 188cms and weighing 121kg you can't miss Titans back-rower David Taylor. The Mercurial forward has the ability to terrorise opposition defences with his power and skill. Consistency has been his major issue over the last few seasons but he showed a lot more maturity in the season-opener against the Sharks. You should always expect the unexpected when it comes to the 25-year-old and he could have a field day against a Tigers defence that had plenty of holes in it last weekend. It will also be interesting to see if warhorse Luke Douglas lines up. The prop broke the record for consecutive matches last weekend (195) but suffered a thumb injury and is in severe doubt to play.

Reason to turn away:
    A problem with playing matches in Queensland so early in the season in the middle of the afternoon is that temperatures are still quite high. It's forecasted to be 31 degrees come kick off on Sunday and the heat and humidity can often ruin the spectacle in the early rounds. Most players are still trying to find their match fitness and will fatigue much quicker which ultimately leads to more mistakes and less appealing football.

Say what:
    "It'll be good to get back up there but when it's all said and done, the business is on the field. I'll be trying to do the best that I can for the club and for myself. It'll be good to catch up with a few faces after the game and all that, but hopefully it'll be good to get the job done first." – Former Titans, now Tigers, back-rower Bodene Thompson

Final word:
    Performances in the opening round aren't always a gauge of how a side will travel for that season but it already looks like being an arduous campaign for the Tigers. They went with the Dragons for a good hour but were then blown away in the final 20 minutes by a side many predict will get the wooden spoon. On the other hand, the Titans showed the type of grit and resilience needed to be successful. If they can get their lightning-quick backline more into the game, they should have too much quality for the visitors. Titans by 14

Sportingbet odds:
    Titans: $1.31
    Tigers: $3.55

http://www.sportal.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    How many people on this forum are heading to this game? I'll be there
    Count me in , even bringing the wife. kids staying at home with grandparents. Flying out of Newcastle Saturday morning. GO THE TITANS LETS MAKE IT 2-0

looking forward to this game. I'm very concerned with our lack of attacking structure but the tigers didn't look very strong defensively last week so I'm hoping that gamebreakers like DT/Alby can cause them some issues.

I always enjoy our games against the tigers. From Rankins dropped ball in golden point 2012 to the attack orientated game last year which was really Benji's demise. They're always entertaining affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I always enjoy our games against the tigers. From Rankins dropped ball in golden point 2012 to the attack orientated game last year which was really Benji's demise. They're always entertaining affairs.
    I agree, Ive always wanted to attend a WESTS TIGERS v TITANS away game as well.

Gold Coast Titans v Wests Tigers
    Cbus Super Stadium
    Sunday, March 16 2:00pm Kickoff

Cbus Super Stadium will host live NRL action for the first time in 2014 when the Gold Coast Titans clash with the Wests Tigers this Sunday afternoon.

The Titans will be looking to carry their Round 1 form into this weekend’s game against Wests Tigers and make it a perfect start to their 2014 season. With Co-Captains Greg Bird and Nate Myles leading the Titans forward pack and young guns Albert Kelly and Aiden Sezer in the halves, this game is shaping as a Round 2 blockbuster full of attacking Rugby League.

This weekend only, kids go free with a paying adult in the Eastern Grandstand.

Show your support for the Titans and secure your tickets now from ticketek.com.au!

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Titans v Tigers

Cbus Super Stadium, Robina, Sunday 3pm (AEDT)

Last meeting: Titans 36 bt Tigers 6 at Skilled Park, round 21, 2013

Head-to-head: Titans 6, Tigers 5

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Dave Munro

TV: Delay, Channel 9 (4pm)

Betfair: Titans $1.33, Wests Tigers $3.50

Ladbrokes: Titans $1.30, Wests Tigers $3.60

Michael Chammas writes: It's hard to see the Tigers winning many games this year. They have got plenty of young talent in their side, but there is not enough quality around them to see them challenge many sides. The Titans have one of the best forward packs in the competition and an underrated halves combination in Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer that is developing into one of the best in the NRL.

Tip: Titans by 18

AAP writes: These two teams enter this clash with contrasting round one fortunes. Despite a promising start against the Dragons, the Tigers faded late to be hammered 44-24. The Titans on the other hand came home strong over the Sharks to hold on for a gritty 18-12 away win. Titans prop Luke Douglas' record-breaking streak of 195 consecutive game may come to to an end just one match after claiming the record. He's in doubt with a thumb injury and Ryan James on standby to come into the 17. For the Tigers prop Keith Galloway and winger David Nofoaluma have been added to an extended bench.

Key: Gold Coast blew a lot of try-scoring opportunities in their narrow last-start win over Cronulla and can't afford a repeat. Wests Tigers generally find the road trip to Gold Coast tough work and their young players need to quickly find a way to stay in the game for 80 minutes.

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Brad Tighe, Maurice Blair, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Luke Douglas, Beau Falloon, Nate Myles (capt), Greg Bird (capt), David Taylor, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Matthew White, Luke Bailey, Mark Minichiello, Paul Carter, Ryan James (one to be omitted).

TIGERS: James Tedesco, Marika Koroibete, Marika Koroibete, Chris Lawrence, Pat Richards, Braith Anasta, Luke Brooks, Aaron Woods, Robbie Farah, Martin Taupau, Liam Fulton, Bodene Thompson, Adam Blair. Interchange: Cory Paterson, Ava Seumanu***ai, Sauaso Sue, James Gavet, Keith Galloway, David Nofoaluma (two to be omitted).

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2vpQC5hCK

I am heading up for this one, can't wait

I'll be there with the family. As challenging as it is to watch them most of the time I think the team should be supported through good and bad. Hopefully soon there will be more good than bad.