Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini

Default Mini

First off, i want to say how much i admire Minichiello's dedication and work ethic. For a player who most would agree is not a superstar and does not have extroadinary athletic ability, to achieve what he has is a great effort. To have played city-country and been on the fringes of origin selection are a credit to him. I was never in doubt Mini would give 100% each game.

All that said, i think we are at the point where he should provide depth only. I will disaapointed if Mini is in our 17 each week at the expense of Ridge or Takaraingi or even a developmental player like Carter.

Unfortunately, like a Laffranchi penalty or a Prince grubber going ten metres past the dead ball line, a Minichiello drop or critical error is something i have come to expect. Whilst he has obviously worked hard on his hands, he is still prone to a critical drop, or a penalty or mistake when we have the momentum or the opposition on the back foot.

Barring an injury crisis, S.Michaels is also a name i dont want to read in our team list. With Don and Kffl i think we have more than enough depth behind Flash and Mead. Don is a kid who has really impressed me. He is not flashy or super quick (actually looks akward running), but is all guts and heart.

Interested in others thoughts.

Well said Ausphin, welcome to the forum.

I think it's safe to say that most here echo your thoughts regarding Mini and Michaels.

Unfortunately, like a Laffranchi penalty or a Prince grubber going ten metres past the dead ball line, a Minichiello drop or critical error is something i have come to expect.
    Titans folklore!

Welcome Ausphin ... the most unfortunate part of professional football is being able to make the hard decisions and this is something that our management seems to have great difficulty balancing. Sadly, Cartwright seems to only able to play what's in front of him and not what could be, so picking a developing player in front of a known performer is not in his kitbag.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Cheers Boof. Presumed thoughts on Michaels but wasn't sure what others thought of Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Welcome Ausphin ... the most unfortunate part of professional football is being able to make the hard decisions and this is something that our management seems to have great difficulty balancing. Sadly, Cartwright seems to only able to play what's in front of him and not what could be, so picking a developing player in front of a known performer is not in his kitbag.
    Thanks Titanic. Agree about Carty.

Also weird that he doesn't encourage more offloads and second phase play given that back in the day he was a great ball playing second rower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post
    Also weird that he doesn't encourage more offloads and second phase play given that back in the day he was a great ball playing second rower.
    Every member of this Forum is bamboozled by this anomaly.

I think it goes back to his philosophy that structure is what the coach provides and flair is what the player provides within that structure ... of course when most of the players are flat out wrestling with the intricacies of XBox then it is a lot easier for them to just follow the "game plan" rather than rock the boat.

This means that unless you recruit/develop players who will chance their hand then you end up with robots that hit it up for 5 and then kick with hope ... sound familiar? Of course you could coach it into them if you knew how.

Great points Ausphin. I mostly agree. Trouble is, Mini on a good day provides great impact and mobility around the ruck. He also manages some really good effort plays, such as in today's first game when he saved an early try, with a chasing 1on1 tackle causing the ball to come free & ending in us scoring from the ensuing possession. But I agree abt his penchant for mistakes at critical times and that he should be used for depth, and not ahead of guys like ridge, taka, carter and even liks. I'd like to see him used in short bursts off the bench, given good lines to run and told not to offload (we got plenty of guys with great offloads, but as you say - sent seem to be a big part of our gameplay).

I'm also liking don mor and more. He decision making in defense is my biggest worry, but that seems to be a problem with all of our centre/wing combos.

Im hopeful that we won't see Michaels in the top 17 this yr or ever again. He can do a Phil graham and fade into the shadows quietly...

(Typing on phone, hence shocking speeling)
    Last edited by K2G; 15-02-14 at 09:24 PM.

Agree about Mini. He has shown the ability to bust the defence and run a great line straightening up off a ballplayer drifting across the field (provided he catches it). I just don't want it to be at the expense of another younger player developing.

Ridge has a high work rate and is an underated hitman in defence and i think Taka with some extra kg's could develop into a quality ball playing second rower.

I think Minichello is a brilliant player & has been for many a year but I just think your Bro has embaressed the rest of the rugby league community for a long time now & should stop turning up for the Titans because it's really not warrented as Burleigh & Tweed don't need ya
    #itaintweaktospeak

Gee Pete, that's not not the voice of calm and compassion that I'm used to

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I think Minichello is a brilliant player & has been for many a year but I just think your Bro has embaressed the rest of the rugby league community for a long time now & should stop turning up for the Titans because it's really not warrented as Burleigh & Tweed don't need ya

Mini is done. Taka, carter & ridge all are ahead of him for that bench spot. On a side note Harrison is looking pretty average. I'm hoping he doesn't have permanent spot in the 13 as it looks like he is going backwards and offers absolutely nothing in attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Gee Pete, that's not not the voice of calm and compassion that I'm used to
    I could have been under the weather & have a habit of speaking the truth when I am
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers66 View Post
    Mini is done. Taka, carter & ridge all are ahead of him for that bench spot. On a side note Harrison is looking pretty average. I'm hoping he doesn't have permanent spot in the 13 as it looks like he is going backwards and offers absolutely nothing in attack.
    I think that is more a reflection of our team if we are looking to Harro for answers in attack. Harrison is one of my favourite players, but at this point in his career his value is to be the work horse in the middle similar to the role he played for Qld.

No matter when Mini finishes up, he is a true legend of our club, and we should never forget him.

he is a model for players who arent the fastest,strongest or most skilful, that dedication and consistency can give you a long career.

His hands have always been a bit of a problem, but is improved when he is used in bursts. I think it is less of a problem than it used to be, and he had a better season last year than Dave Taylor, except for the last few games of course when Taylor played like he should.

but i agree we have enough people ahead of him for the bench spot that he might not see alot of top 17 action unless we are hit with injuries. i think he has more to offer than Harrison though. Harrison is truly done, but will always get that 13 jumper until he retires unfortunately.