Frenchman Keen To Impress

SEBASTIEN MARTINS will make some French rugby league history when he becomes the first from his country to play a senior game for the NRMA Insurance Broncos this weekend.

While it is just a trial and not a competition game, Martins - who was signed in the off-season by Broncos affiliate club the Central Capras, has done well enough in the pre-season to be rewarded with a chance to impress.

Former English Super League player Martins will come off the bench against the North Queensland Cowboys in the Broncos' first trial of the year at Redcliffe on Saturday night starting at 7:15pm.

The only other French player to have donned a Broncos jersey is Benjamin Garcia, who played Under 20s for the club last year before representing France at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.

Now Martins gets an opportunity, with the 120kg front rower admitting he never thought he would get the chance to pull on an NRL jumper.

"It is the first game and before I came up here I thought I would just be playing Queensland Cup," said Martins, who played under former Bronco and Dragon Aaron Gorrell in Queanbeyan last year.

"So now to be playing in an NRL (trial) is good.

"I am excited because it is the first game and if I play good this week I can impress the coach.

"I played with the Catalans Dragons in the Super League - I played five years with the Dragons.

"It is amazing - imagine two or three years ago I was watching the games on TV and saying 'they are good players, they are amazing players in the NRL'.

"Now this week I play in the first (NRL) trial."

Martins is joined in the Broncos side by players with plenty of NRL experience including David Stagg, Todd Lowrie, Martin Kennedy and former Dragons and Shark Jon Green.

While the level of the NRL will be a big step for him, Martins said the important thing was he had a chance to show his talents.

"Maybe this is the start of a good story if I play good this week - it is a chance," he said.

Saturday's trial match kicks off at 7:15pm - match tickets are available right here.

http://www.broncos.com.au/news-displ...-Impress/89988