Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sam Burgess to union?

Rumours that the English RFU are after Sam and that he is gone.

I hope this is wrong. Apparently bloody Andy Farrell (Traitor) was in Sam 'a war during the World Cup.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Burgess set to follow SBW to rugby
    By James MacSmith and Ben Horne
    AAP
    5:00pm Thu 06th February, 2014

Sam Burgess' NRL performances last season were often weighed up against those of Sonny Bill Williams and their rivalry appears set to extend beyond rugby league and into the 15-a-side code.

Speculation that Burgess is poised for an end-of-season switch to rugby union intensified on Thursday when the UK's Daily Mail reported the South Sydney forward had accepted a three-year deal with an English rugby club, believed to be Bath, in the hope of playing at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The Rabbitohs subsequently released a statement to club members saying they had not been approached by any party to release Burgess from his contract which runs until the end of 2016.

"The club has had no contact from Sam's management, the Rugby Football Union (RFU) or any rugby union clubs in the UK regarding a release for Sam Burgess from his NRL contract with the Rabbitohs," the statement read.

However, Souths owner Russell Crowe, who recruited Burgess to play at Redfern, is believed to be aware of an approach.

Either way, opinion is divided over how Burgess, potentially playing in the centres like Sonny Bill, would fare in rugby.

NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika, who spent eight years coaching in Europe, said he believed Burgess could be a success.

"He's a pretty competitive type of guy - he's a big, athletic player. The basics of the game are relatively the same and he's still young. I'm sure he'll go well if he does make the move," said Cheika on Thursday.

Waratahs five-eighth Bernard Foley wasn't so sure.

"It's not as easy as everyone says to switch codes," he said.

"For a bloke like Sam Burgess he's a great athlete and I'm sure he'll have a really good crack at it but I don't think it's as easy as everyone says to swap over and just go in for a World Cup.

"Especially going into an England side that's been preparing for the last couple of years and looking pretty stable."

Burgess and Williams famously locked horns in the New Zealand dual international's return to rugby league for the Sydney Roosters in round one in March last year.

But in playing a leading role in the Roosters' surge to the minor premiership and the NRL title, SBW undoubtedly ended up on top.

Rugby World Cup winner Williams has proven himself in the code he will return to in 2015 for two seasons, with the overwhelming desire to also play in rugby's showpiece event.

But big Englishman Burgess is an unknown prospect in the rival code.

Either way Souths captain John Sutton says it will be a big loss, on and off the field, if Burgess departs.

"It would be a loss, he is a great player," Sutton said.

"Ever since he came to Souths he has been a leader.

"He would be a big loss if he does go but I don't know anything about that.

"I'm not worried. We have a year ahead to worry about."
    #itaintweaktospeak

I ****ing hate rugby union. I also hate how for generations rugby league has sat on its hands and been so damn insular and infighting.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Burgess set to follow SBW to rugby
    By James MacSmith and Ben Horne
    AAP
    5:00pm Thu 06th February, 2014

Sam Burgess' NRL performances last season were often weighed up against those of Sonny Bill Williams and their rivalry appears set to extend beyond rugby league and into the 15-a-side code.

Speculation that Burgess is poised for an end-of-season switch to rugby union intensified on Thursday when the UK's Daily Mail reported the South Sydney forward had accepted a three-year deal with an English rugby club, believed to be Bath, in the hope of playing at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The Rabbitohs subsequently released a statement to club members saying they had not been approached by any party to release Burgess from his contract which runs until the end of 2016.

"The club has had no contact from Sam's management, the Rugby Football Union (RFU) or any rugby union clubs in the UK regarding a release for Sam Burgess from his NRL contract with the Rabbitohs," the statement read.

However, Souths owner Russell Crowe, who recruited Burgess to play at Redfern, is believed to be aware of an approach.

Either way, opinion is divided over how Burgess, potentially playing in the centres like Sonny Bill, would fare in rugby.

NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika, who spent eight years coaching in Europe, said he believed Burgess could be a success.

"He's a pretty competitive type of guy - he's a big, athletic player. The basics of the game are relatively the same and he's still young. I'm sure he'll go well if he does make the move," said Cheika on Thursday.

Waratahs five-eighth Bernard Foley wasn't so sure.

"It's not as easy as everyone says to switch codes," he said.

"For a bloke like Sam Burgess he's a great athlete and I'm sure he'll have a really good crack at it but I don't think it's as easy as everyone says to swap over and just go in for a World Cup.

"Especially going into an England side that's been preparing for the last couple of years and looking pretty stable."

Burgess and Williams famously locked horns in the New Zealand dual international's return to rugby league for the Sydney Roosters in round one in March last year.

But in playing a leading role in the Roosters' surge to the minor premiership and the NRL title, SBW undoubtedly ended up on top.

Rugby World Cup winner Williams has proven himself in the code he will return to in 2015 for two seasons, with the overwhelming desire to also play in rugby's showpiece event.

But big Englishman Burgess is an unknown prospect in the rival code.

Either way Souths captain John Sutton says it will be a big loss, on and off the field, if Burgess departs.

"It would be a loss, he is a great player," Sutton said.

"Ever since he came to Souths he has been a leader.

"He would be a big loss if he does go but I don't know anything about that.

"I'm not worried. We have a year ahead to worry about."
    Lol at the Union guy saying Sammy wouldn't walk straight in to the Pom RU side.

Andy Farell was an over the hill prop in RL with two bung knees and he went into a WC winning team at fly half/IC iirc...

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I ****ing hate rugby union. I also hate how for generations rugby league has sat on its hands and been so damn insular and infighting.
    Hey....Rugby League has stolen it's fair sure of Rugby Union talent over here in NZ. Unsure if this applies in Aus though.

and his agent says:

''It is between Russell and Sam to work out. Russell has gone out of the way to bring Sam and the family here and help get a job for his mum, but I am sure they would work it out. If a professional athlete wants to go and do something it would be hard to say, 'N, you have signed a contract and you have to stay here,' if he doesn't want to.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2sacXKifa
    I hate this ... since when was a formal contract not enforceable? Having said that though maybe he could take his mother back with him ... she is surely the most repugnant example of mutton dressed as lamb I have ever seen and Freddy's fawning over her instead of concentrating on the footy craps me off.
    Last edited by Titanic; 07-02-14 at 10:02 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

lol@$ouffs

Sam Burgess could only survive on Russell Crowe's support for so long, writes David Riccio

IN the end, Sam Burgess could only survive by the support of passionate South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe for so long.

At some point, Burgess would have to fall into line and adopt the culture that coach Michael Maguire had been hired to instil.

Or Burgess could leave.

Which despite repeated denials from inside the Rabbitohs, is likely to be confirmed within days.

BURGESS QUITS NRL FOR ENGLISH RUGBY

The anticipated announcement means that Burgess is better off leaving now, rather than hanging around for another season.

His judiciary record alone, is enough to suggest Burgess doesn't possess the focus or sacrifice showcased by Sonny Bill Williams, who was on a one-year deal, when he won the premiership with the Roosters last season.

Burgess' decision to switch codes and play for England is likely to be carefully managed by his PR team as a 'personal challenge' and "unique goal to become a dual international.'

But ultimately, this comes down to a player distracted by TV cameras and column inches in Sydney Confidential.

At 25, some would argue, good luck to Burgess for cashing in while he can.

But that doesn't wash with a coach like Maguire.

Burgess' lure of the spotlight is far from the strict culture Maguire desires at the Rabbitohs.

Strangely, it's a lifestyle Crowe has no problem with Burgess pursuing which is probably why owner and coach have long failed to see eye-to-eye when it comes to discipline.

That point was never more evident than last September.

In the documentary on Burgess' life, which Crowe narrates, Burgess is referred to as the Sparkly Eyed Man.

"(The sparkly eyed man) is a guy who can be as vicious as he needs to be, he can do anything he needs to do during the course of that 80 minutes to bring the result towards his team,'' Crowe says during the documentary.

"His will to win rises to any occasion. But the moment that final whistle blows, he is a completely different man.''

Crowe's glowing opinion of Burgess while to be expected given he signed all four of the Burgess boys, was in part, justified.

Sam Burgess offloads during a clash against the Melbourne Storm.
    Sam Burgess offloads during a clash against the Melbourne Storm. Source: News Limited
    Burgess could change a game for South Sydney.

And true, he would do anything to win the game. The issue wasn't what Crowe said.

It was that the documentary was made at all, airing two days before last year's grand final.

A grand final that South Sydney failed to appear in.

Members of the Rabbitohs coaching staff, still shattered by the loss to Manly in the preliminary final, were shocked Burgess went ahead with the documentary.

Sam, Luke, Julie, George and Tom Burgess at the 2013 Dally M Awards.
    Sam, Luke, Julie, George and Tom Burgess at the 2013 Dally M Awards. Source: News Limited
    His teammates just rolled their eyes, all too familiar with the circus.

The biggest surprise isn't that Burgess is leaving Redfern. It's that the disappointment doesn't reflect the mood within the South Sydney bunker.

Daily Telegraph rugby league writer Paul Kent says Sam Burgess will be a one-man wrecking machine in rugby union if and when his proposed move to the 15 man code ahead of the 2015 World Cup comes to fruition.
    Unlike the doom and gloom lingering over Cleveland Street yesterday, a sense of optimism emerged from the opportunity that the departure of the highly-paid Burgess could create.

WHO SHOULD REPLACE SAM? HAVE YOUR SAY HERE

Andrew Fifita is an obvious target, so too New Zealand Warriors prop Ben Matulino.

For Maguire, it could mean a new beginning.

For Crowe, it could mean the end.

So we just have World Cups to put on a show case for union so they can pick the eyes out of us. I think English RL is well and truly going backwards.

For those who haven't seen this and need a good laugh ... thanks to Muzby at LU

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...&postcount=237
    Last edited by Titanic; 08-02-14 at 09:56 AM.

I got no issue with code hopping between RL 'n RU. It's just when they swing over to AFL I'll raise an eyebrow..

Its a none issue, if i am offered more money with another company to do the same job im doing now, im gone.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Honestly, I couldn't care less.

Sam hasn't commented on this so it's certainly true. Good as gone. I feel sorry for Russell Crowe. Perhaps all the razamataz like the Slammin Sam documentary just helped sell him to the evil forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    Its a none issue, if i am offered more money with another company to do the same job im doing now, im gone.
    I'm sure there are more things you would consider than just cash.

Rugby league: South Sydney Rabbitohs offered $1m to release Sam Burgess

South Sydney have been offered a $1 million transfer fee to release Sam Burgess from the remaining three years of his contract and his departure to English rugby union at the end of the season may be confirmed as early as Monday.

It is understood the Rabbitohs were officially contacted about the move for the first time last week and told Bath would pay £500,000 ($926,000) compensation to release him at the end of the season. The approach follows weeks of confusion about whether the deal would proceed as rival English clubs opposed plans by the Rugby Football Union to pay a transfer fee to enable Burgess to play for one of their opponents.

Bath appear to have now found the money elsewhere and there was speculation that an announcement may be made on Monday. The move would enable Burgess to play in next year's Rugby World Cup and any doubts that England plan to use him were dispelled when Bath owner Bruce Craig revealed on the weekend that the RFU had instigated the 25-year-old's code switch.

''Bath were contacted by the RFU and we were informed that a number of premiership clubs were also contacted and told that the RFU were interested in bringing Sam Burgess into rugby union,'' Craig told The Times.

''Those clubs were contacted and told of the opportunity: that Sam would be put on the market because the RFU would be paying the transfer fee. That is the truth. What we were told was they [the Rabbitohs] would release Sam from his contract and there would be an open market among the English clubs to bring Sam into the English game.''

It is believed the deal with Bath is for three years and he will play out the season with the Rabbitohs.

After bringing Burgess to Australia in 2010, Souths would be unlikely to stand in his way if he wanted to return home but compensation for the loss of one of the NRL's best forwards complicated the deal. It is understood Burgess was first approached about the switch during last year's Rugby League World Cup by former Great Britain and Wigan skipper Andy Farrell, who is now on England's coaching staff.

He told Souths co-owner Russell Crowe about his interest in the move before Christmas.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/