Default Titans coach John Cartwright may add Matt Keating to squad if hooker crisis worsens

From Couriermail.com.au

HE joined the Burleigh Bears seeking a new beginning but ex-Parramatta hooker Matt Keating could be on his way to being thrown an NRL lifeline by the Titans.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright will consider drafting Keating into his squad if the Titans' No.9 crisis worsens as Beau Falloon (hamstring), Matt Srama (shoulder), Sam Irwin (ankle) and Paul Carter (ankle) battle injuries.

Keating was one of the 12 Eels infamously told by then coach Ricky Stuart last year they were unwanted for 2014.

The 27-year-old decided to move to the Gold Coast with wife Jocelyn, who hails from the region, and begin a new life.

But with 130 games of NRL experience, Keating is now on the radar of Cartwright and keen for a return to the first grade.

"You'd never say never to that sort of opportunity," Keating said.

"If something pops up then I'll look into it and see what the best result would be for me. I'd love to play it again.

"I'm not saying I won't or I will. If something pops up I'll take it with both hands.

"I'm not going to sit back, have my fingers crossed and wish for it. If it pops up I've got to take advantage of it and that's how I'm looking at it."

Keating could add some experience to the Gold Coast's hooking department which holds just 116 NRL appearances between them.

Srama will miss the start of the NRL season but the other three are expected to be fit by then and Cartwright said he would be keeping an eye on Keating.

"We'll be definitely watching. I rate him very highly," he said.

"He's got nothing but good reports coming out of Burleigh.

"We'll wait and see how these guys get through.

"If they were long-term (injuries) we'd certainly be looking for help."

Burleigh plays its first pre-season trial against Sunshine Coast at Mudgeeraba tonight and Keating will see some game time.

Bears coach Carl Briggs said his star recruit could easily return to the NRL.

"He's been outstanding. We've got everything we thought when we signed him and more," he said.

"He's the ultimate professional. The players are feeding off that.

"I have no doubt he can (still play NRL). He can step up and you can see that in our training.

"He's a very talented footballer. I'm not naive enough to think people won't look at him because he's a fantastic footballer."

Tweed Heads will play a trial against the Gold Coast Titans under-20s team at Cudgen tomorrow night.

No. God please no.

NO NO NO NO!
    One of the worst players to ever play 1st grade... he got hooked from the eels... says it all
    jeez we need a new recruiter...

Doesn't say too much for Carter really does it? You wonder where we find these blokes.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Doesn't say too much for Carter really does it? You wonder where we find these blokes.
    Carter is listed as injured

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Searle found him coaching at the Roosters
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    Carter is listed as injured
    Turned ankle and weeks to deal with it, gee.

ffs why are we bothering with nuffies like him.

After watching him play for Burliegh yesterday I'm sure Bailey or White will do a better job @ 9
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    After watching him play for Burliegh yesterday I'm sure Bailey or White will do a better job @ 9
    Lawnton must be kicking himself.

Beau falloon rest up mate!! And sam irwin skip nines!! Problem solved both should be right for round one/last trial
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan