TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN JANUARY 16, 2014 6:40AM

Burleigh product Jamie Dowling has rocketed into calculations for the right centre berth vacated by Penrith's big-money recruit.

Dowling, who earns just $90,000-a-season compared to Idris' whopping $400,000 pay packet, ran in the position for the majority of the Gold Coast's high-intensity training session yesterday as coach John Cartwright continues his search for a new centre.

Dowling, whose grandfather John Dowling played three Origins for Queensland, is in the mix for the spot alongside Brad Tighe, Brad Takairangi, Maurice Blair and Siuatonga Likiliki.

Blair ran at left centre with Takairangi and Tighe missing the session, leaving Dowling with an opportunity to press his claims for a round 1 jersey.

Dowling's coach at Burleigh, Carl Briggs, said the utility could make a name for himself in the Titans backline this year.

"He's an outstanding footballer who's very talented. I don't think he realises how talented he is," he said.

"He played a lot of NRL at the back end of last year and did a great job for Carty. He can definitely handle it.

"He's played centre for us at Burleigh and he's got all the tools to make a success at that level."

Dowling played nine NRL games last season, taking his career tally to 10, with six of those starting in the centres.

And while Blair and Tighe, new additions to the club, look likely to be Cartwright's first choices in the position, the 23-year-old Dowling has a golden opportunity to sneak his way in.

"I'm not sure to be honest," said right winger David Mead when asked who he thought would partner him this year.

"We've got a lot of options there so we'll have to wait and see how the trials go.

"We know the quality of player Jamal is.

" Anyone would love to play outside him and get some good quality ball.

"He's not here at the moment but we've got guys there who could do the job."

Mead featured at fullback for the entire session with Cartwright and new assistant Neil Henry wanting the Papua New Guinea international to get some training under his belt at custodian.

Regular No. 1 William Zillman ran at fullback in the *opposing team as he continues his recovery from a groin injury and Mead said it was a position he was keen to spend more time in this year.

"I definitely like fullback because of how much running you do and how involved you get," he said.

"That's something I'm working on so I can eventually get a position there.

"I'm training on the wing and at fullback.

"Whichever way the team sits is best for the club and what the coaches think. We'll wait and see.

"You know the quality of player Zilly is at the back there.

" There's tough competition and always is every year."