Default Vein issue hinders Gold Coast play maker Albert Kelly's career

from heraldsun.com.au
    January 13, 2014 12:00AM

ALBERT Kelly has opened up about the vein condition threatening his career, revealing if his latest round of treatment doesn't work he could be forced to undergo a high-risk operation.

The Gold Coast Titans half-back underwent another round of injections on Sunday to treat a form of varicose veins in his left foot that's causing pain and extreme swelling.

The 22-year-old dynamo, who enjoyed a breakout season in 2013 with 11 tries, has been floored by the condition which has stopped him from running for the past month.

He has now had more than 15 injections administered directly into the affected veins at the Leg Vein Clinic in Broadbeach and faces an anxious week to see if it is successful.

If the problem persists, delicate surgery could be the only option, something Kelly admitted has him worried.

"When I first went in there and they told me what it was and the consequences of hitting a nerve or tendon was I got worried a bit," he said.

"After the first treatment it wasn't too bad. Hopefully I can keep doing this rather than get surgery.

"The surgery is pretty high-risk. Hopefully this minimises the swelling and pain and we can move on.

"If this doesn't work then I'll probably have to look at surgery which will be pretty scary.

"I'm not sure what they do but they said it's pretty complicated because of where the problem is.

"It's right next to some nerves and tendons that you don't want to hit."

The problem causes Kelly's foot to swell after activity and makes running difficult.

The injections are designed to shut off the problematic veins and Kelly said he was hoping they would work well enough to get him through the 2014 season.

"The needles go in there to close off the veins but a few keep going to get the blood going up to my heart," he said.

"The doctor said he's not going to get it perfect but they hope they can get it more comfortable and minimise the pain.

"It went all right last time but the swelling comes and goes. It would swell up heaps sometimes.

"All I can do is walk. I haven't been able to do much."

Kelly's condition has left the Titans with a major headache.

He and Aidan Sezer are coach John Cartwright's preferred halves pairing with there being few back-up options.

"It's a hard position with a salary cap to fill. You've got to spend a fair bit of money in those key positions," Cartwright said.

"Harro (Ashley Harrison) did a great job at five-eighth last year. There's young Christian Hazard, Beau Henry was playing some really good football last year before he did his knee. Will Zillman's played in the halves.

"The medical staff are really confident by the time the trials start Albert will be fine."

Hazard is the most exciting of the back-up prospects.

The 19-year-old linked with the Titans from South Sydney this year and was recently named in the Queensland Emerging Origin squad.

Hazard has been flying in pre-season training and Cartwright said it would not be long before the crafty playmaker got a taste of first grade.

"He's a good prospect. He had a really good year in the under-20s last year," he said.

"He was up there in the player of the year (rankings) and the Queensland selectors have put him in their emerging squad.

"He's obviously a real talent but we've got to get him experienced at this level.

"He'll probably start off with our under-20s and we'll get him some Q-Cup footy and I don't think he'll be too far away."

Can't afford a repeat year of make-shift halves pairings.

I hope Kelly bounces back from this before the 9's and trials - but in the event he misses games, i hope its not a long-term career/confidence threatening injury. After all the progress he made personally, and we made as a team, it would be heartbreaking if this ends badly.

Having only seen highlights of Christian Hazard, I'd take him over Zilly, Harro, Bird and probably Henry in the halves.

Really feel for Kelly. Hoping him the best of luck with the results he gets..we need him. He worked so hard last pre-season and got his career back on track, a setback like this could be heartbreaking. I'm sure he'll pull through fine.

It's exciting to see that Carty is feeling so confident about Christian Hazard. He has obviously had a very good pre-season. We need these 20s players to be getting sufficient experience in Q cup before bringing them up to first grade. I've heard first hand that the jump is far too big and they're thrown in. Do what the Rabbitohs did with Dylan walker; give Hazard some games in 20s purely as a gauge. If he looks ready for Q-Cup, move him up straight away. We have sufficient cover in the halves in 20s.

Btw KI2G where did you see the Hazard highlights?

besides the Bane mask, and his dodgy foot, kelly looks quite muscular and built in that pic. He is my favourite player to watch in the NRL.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    besides the Bane mask, and his dodgy foot, kelly looks quite muscular and built in that pic. He is my favourite player to watch in the NRL.
    You're saying you like to watch him because he is muscular and built?

i said watch, not look at.

granted, i could have started a new paragraph to make the second comment.

and i only have eyes for kiwi manlets..you know this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i said watch, not look at.

granted, i could have started a new paragraph to make the second comment.

and i only have eyes for kiwi manlets..you know this.
    You're really pushing me for a new signature with posts like these

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Btw KI2G where did you see the Hazard highlights?
    Showed brief highlights of him during the holden cup tigers game (rd 25 - not finals, i checked). I watched a recording of the game a few weeks ago. He was good. lots of potential. Chips kicks etc. still raw. Can't be any worse defensively than princey was in 2011/12.

Default interesting

I saw on instagram albert, jahrome hughes and david taylor runnig the currumbin stairs in altitude mask just last week? And they all looked fit great work coal train for those who wish to watch It alberts account is albey_28
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan

Really wishing Albert all the best through treatment through this delicate ailment. He is such an exciting player and the halfback we a want leading the side.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

If Albert's treatment fails, you'd hope Cartwright gives young Hazard first shot. I like Beau Henry, but he isn't a first grader.