Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Auckland 9's

Default Auckland 9's

Sin bin to be costly at Nines: Farah
    By Wayne Cousins, Auckland Nines
    NRL.com
    7:20am Fri 10th January, 2014

Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah says the role of the sin bin in next month's Dick Smith NRL Nines tournament could well have a major impact on a team's chances.

Under the rules set for the $2.7 million tournament, referees will have the power to send players to the sin-bin for five minutes for foul play at Eden Park on the weekend of February 15-16.

"It will be interesting to see how the referees use the rule. I've always been a fan of the sin bin and to lose a player for five minutes in a nine-minute half is certainly a big whack,'' Farah said.

"It will be hard enough playing with nine players in a side yet alone if you have to cover a whole field with eight players. It will certainly be a big disadvantage if you get a player sent to the sin-bin. It could well be the difference between winning and losing and how far a team progresses in the competition."

Farah will spend three days in Auckland next week promoting the tournament and the chances of his Wests Tigers team, rated one of the early favourites. He will also take time out to try sailing on one of New Zealand's America's Cup yachts.

"I'm really looking forward to the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines,'' he said.

"It has been a while since we have had this sort of tournament in our game and I think it is long overdue. It is going to be exciting brand of footy and one that will suit my game.

"Some of the different rule changes will make the game even faster. I think you need a good mix of speed out wide and some mobile forwards with a bit of skill and passing in their game.

"I don't think you will find too many teams that will pick just outside backs. It is still going to be pretty physical and nine a side will still mean there will be some structure there.

"I think teams will adjust as the tournament goes on and pick up a few tips from what everyone else is doing."

Farah said the return of powerful winger and noted big kicker Pat Richards would certainly enhance his team's chances of taking home the rich prize-money on offer.

"Some of the drop kicks Pat has kicked not only for Wests Tigers in the past but in the English Super League were amazing. He kicks them from anywhere so hopefully that will be a bit of an ace up our sleeves in the Nines tournament,'' Farah said.

"Players like speedsters Marika Koroibete and David Nofoaluma would be dynamic in open space if they make the squad.

"We will also want to have some forwards like Adam Blair, Aaron Woods and Suaso Sue who are mobile and work hard in the middle who have got a bit of agility and a good passing game."
    #itaintweaktospeak

SBW unlikely to plan Nines, says Fittler

By James MacSmith, AAP
    Updated January 8, 2014, 6:32 pm

Sydney Roosters great Brad Fittler says he would love to line up alongside Sonny Bill Williams at the Auckland Nines but concedes it's unlikely.

Fittler has been lured out of a 10-year retirement to join the tricolours for the inaugural two-day NRL pre-season tournament next month and believes Williams would be a formidable Nines player.

The Roosters haven't finalised their squad for the Nines but Fittler said he spoke with coach Trent Robinson on Wednesday who suggested the NRL premiers would rest Williams from the Nines with the World Club Challenge scheduled for the week after.

"I spoke to the coach today and they have the World Club Challenge game the week after and they are still indecisive as to whether certain players will play the Nines or the World Club Challenge," Fittler told 2SM's Talkin' Sport.

"There hasn't been a final conclusion but there is a big chance Sonny won't be playing which is a shame.

"I have played against Sonny and I reckon it would be fun to play with him."

When told Williams' manager Khoder Nasser had told TVNZ on Wednesday that the dual international would not be playing in the February 15 and 16 tournament at Eden Park, Fittler said: "He is probably right".

Fittler said he had begun training for the event and was confident he would make a good account of himself in his return to the game he left in 2004.

"I have got five weeks and it should be under control," he said.

"I know I will enjoy it ... there should be no reason why I can't handle it.

"I'm approaching it in a fantastic mood."

Williams is due back at Roosters training on Monday, with the majority of the club's World Cup stars, ahead of the World Club Challenge against Wigan at Allianz Stadium on February 22.
    #itaintweaktospeak

The closer this gets the more excited I am. I always wanted Nines and we are getting it on a grand scale. Just wish there was some international teams. I'm just hoping for big crowds and some electric football. This is a big moment for Rugby League in NZ. If I had the time and cash I would go over and support it. But maybe another time.

I'm confident the Titans will take to this well.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    The closer this gets the more excited I am. I always wanted Nines and we are getting it on a grand scale. Just wish there was some international teams. I'm just hoping for big crowds and some electric football. This is a big moment for Rugby League in NZ. If I had the time and cash I would go over and support it. But maybe another time.

I'm confident the Titans will take to this well.
    Yeh mate would be better if there were a few international teams Fiji especially for me but like u i can't wait for the tournament to start
    #itaintweaktospeak

I guess there isn't anything, structurally, stopping the inclusion.

Fiji, PNG would be easy inclusions. Even of there was a lower division with promotion and relegation into the big league.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

lol@$ouffs but like the rest
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Some of them really look like training uniforms. But Im all for experimentation. Maybe disappointed someone cracked out the cookie cutter?

Titans 9's team might have the quickest back line in this comp now.

Zilly, Mead, Flash, Brad Tighe, Alby.

Add Dave Taylor and Taka.

Does anyone know what the breakdown of cash prizes are for winner/runners up etc?

With $2.7M up for grabs, I think the club will be seriously eyeing this tournament off as a good way to pay some bills.

***edit- copied to Titans 9's thread***
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 11-01-14 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Copied to Titans 9's thread.

NRL

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Titans 9's team might have the quickest back line in this comp now.

Zilly, Mead, Flash, Brad Tighe, Alby.

Add Dave Taylor and Taka.

Does anyone know what the breakdown of cash prizes are for winner/runners up etc?

With $2.7M up for grabs, I think the club will be seriously eyeing this tournament off as a good way to pay some bills.
    Prize money is $450000 to the winner , will help pay for Cronk
    #itaintweaktospeak

OK stupid question.

Fox Sports or Nine? What channel is it on?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    OK stupid question.

Fox Sports or Nine? What channel is it on?
    Disney Channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Disney Channel?
    Sounding more like Antiques Roadshow.

Brad Fittler's Auckland Nines comeback faces NRL obstacle due to doping code
    The Courier-Mail

SYDNEY Roosters legend Brad Fittler could be banned from playing in the Auckland Nines because his comeback is in breach of the NRL's anti-doping policy as a "returning athlete''.

With more than $2m prizemoney up for grabs and tight guidelines about the quality of talent each club must provide, the NRL know they cannot afford to mess around with player eligibility in the first year of a five-year tournament plan.

After placing serious demands on NRL clubs to provide at least one top five player and 12 of their top 25 salary-capped players, organisers know rival clubs will closely monitor the use of former players.

Any exemptions from the agreed requirements would almost certainly result in rival clubs seeking to reduce the level of players they provide for an event just four weeks before regular season kick off.

Auckland Nines tournament director Nathan McGuirk is expected to rule on Fittler's eligibility when he returns from annual leave next week, but News Limited has uncovered serious obstacles that could block the return of the premiership-winning Roosters captain.

Fittler retired 10 years ago but has been lured into a comeback to help the premiers with numbers as they prepare for the World Club Challenge the weekend after the Nines.

The 41-year-old recently said he would make himself eligible for the NRL-sanctioned event by signing a standard contract valued at just $1.

But contracts include acceptance of the NRL's anti-doping policy, as set out by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency.

Under item 95 of the policy Fittler must advise ASADA of his intention to return to competition because he was an "international-level athlete'' when he retired in 2004.

The policy says the athlete may not compete in competitions or events which are subject to the anti-doping policy until six months from the date of the reinstatement request for all national competitions and events, or three months for other competitions and events.

It is a rule demanded by the World Anti-Doping Authority, with Australia's Olympic swim star Ian Thorpe serving a nine-month wait before he was allowed to race at anything more than an intra-club time trial in his 2012 comeback.

The Auckland Nines begins in five weeks, so Fittler would have needed to lodge his application with ASADA last November to be eligible.

There is a clause which says the NRL "may abridge or extend the time period in our absolute discretion in circumstances that we consider warrant special treatment'', but given the current ASADA investigation engulfing rugby league it may not be prudent to make exemptions for the sake of publicity.

McGuirk has discussed Fittler's eligibility with the Roosters but will wait for a formal application from Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan before making a ruling.

"We have had initial discussions with the Roosters but have yet to receive a formal application from the club,'' McGuirk said.

"However Brian Canavan has indicated the Roosters will be making an application on Monday.

"Once the NRL receives an application for Brad Fittler or any other player being speculated about, a thorough review process will be undertaken before any decision is made.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp

With more than $2m prizemoney up for grabs and tight guidelines about the quality of talent each club must provide, the NRL know they cannot afford to mess around with player eligibility in the first year of a five-year tournament plan.

After placing serious demands on NRL clubs to provide at least one top five player and 12 of their top 25 salary-capped players, organisers know rival clubs will closely monitor the use of former players.

Any exemptions from the agreed requirements would almost certainly result in rival clubs seeking to reduce the level of players they provide for an event just four weeks before regular season kick off.
    At least the organisers get it … I may watch it after all … Freddy, Beaver and Mary McGregor = get real.