Default How Good Is: Greg Bird

From NRL.com
    Wed 08th January, 2014

Truth be told, Greg Bird is more suited to the style of rugby league played in the 1970s and 1980s.

Legendary coaches such as Jack Gibson, Warren Ryan and Bob Fulton would have built teams around a player such as Bird. As he is today with the Gold Coast Titans, they probably would have made him captain.

He's not the biggest bloke in the team, neither the quickest or most skilful, but Bird just might be the toughest hombre currently getting around in the NRL.

In an age where talent scouts are more intent on finding athletes and then teaching them to play rugby league, Bird is an out-and-out footballer driven by an unyielding distaste for defeat.

No player at the Titans took more hit-ups (302) or made more metres (2,653) than Bird last season and it his ability to consistently deliver high-energy outputs over the course of an entire 80 minutes that makes him invaluable for coach John Cartwright.

When a patched-up Titans team were going the distance with the Roosters in Round 25 and running short of troops on the bench, Bird was sent into the middle when what he was really looking for was a rest. He played the full 80 minutes that day, ran for 130m, laid on the opening try with a deft cut-out pass for Steve Michaels, and made 24 tackles and three tackle breaks.

To demonstrate his all-round ability, Bird played five-eighth against the Broncos and kicked two goals from as many attempts, and if Cartwright asked him to fill in at hooker, halfback or wing, he'd do that as well.

Even though the Blues suffered another heartbreaking State of Origin Series defeat, it was Bird who was named the state's best and recipient of the Brad Fittler Medal. In 2012 he was named the Country Rugby League Player of the Year for his whole-hearted efforts for Country Origin.

His durability in the course of a season is remarkable and if he chalks up a further 16 games for the Titans in 2014 he'll pass the 200-game milestone in his 12th season in the NRL – and you can bet that he'll do everything in his powers to be on the winning team, whoever he might be playing.

Trademark move: With such an all-round talent as Bird it's hard to pinpoint one 'trademark move' but the way he charges into the line sparks plenty of attacking opportunities for the Titans. Rather than crashing into the defence like a locomotive that has suffered brake failure, Bird charges at defenders and then almost dares them to tackle him. He takes a giant stride as he nears the defensive line and then pushes into the would-be tackler, who is often left reeling and allows Bird to generate second-phase play for his team. If he does have a little more room to move on the left edge, Bird loves nothing more than charging at a wing-centre combination, drawing them in and then releasing his winger with a right-arm offload around the corner.

Key Play of 2013: Like the complete footballer that he is, there is one game – and not just one moment – that typifies the contribution Greg Bird brings to a team. When the Titans travelled to Penrith in Round 4 this year they faced an outfit desperate to assert themselves on home turf. When the Panthers attacked the line early it was Bird who took the hit from decoy runner Sika Manu that led to the try being disallowed. Shortly thereafter, Luke Walsh seemed certain to score under the posts before Bird flew in and knocked the ball from his grasp. Then, after his side had absorbed all that pressure, Bird went down the other end, brushed off five Panthers defenders and scored next to the posts. In that game Bird ran for 155m, made five tackle-breaks, four offloads, 27 tackles and one line-break, and the Titans won 28-10.

Wasn't thrilled about titans chasing him originally. As much for the off-field stuff as him being such a staunch NSW origin player, and my general dislike for him, paul gallen and all that 'bash brothers' cr*p prior to it.

But geez did he change my mind since he's been with us. He's one of my favorite players in the game. Outside of the halves; the single most important player in our team. The way he he puts in every game, and supports the young blokes in the team - he should be sole captain in 2014 (with sezer as VC imo).

I've come to accept the grubbiness in the game as just a part of the true competitor that he is. I wouldn't mind seeing him ditch the penalty milking routine, but you'd be hard pressed to find any other titans player as desperate to win every game as this bloke, so im willing to abide it.

I hope he plays as good as he did last year for another 5 years.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

My Man, Greg Bird. So many people were against him when he first signed with the titans but he has defiantly changed everybodys mind.

If i had to pick the best player for the titans in 2013 it would have to be birdy. and im sure he will be keen to get a premiership at the gold coast before he hangs up the boots

Ditto ... couldn't stand him but now can't think of the team without him.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Ditto ... couldn't stand him but now can't think of the team without him.
    Easily our most important & Best player in the club, we'll get over losing a centre but we couldn't replace The Bird
    #itaintweaktospeak

Oh look a dog with a fluffy tail
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

he is the key to our club culture.
    he plays injured and has no hesitation in getting hurt for our team.
    He hates losing more than anyone in the NRL i reckon, but is the first to shake hands and go wave to the clubs fans (even if its only him doing it)

He should be sole captain imo.

Too bloody right … the memories of Darwin will linger for a long time yet … that's when he won me.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Yep. Darwin, and the times he has stayed on the park after the game at Robina talking to kids over the fence. Often when we lose the only Titans player not in the sheds 30 seconds after full time is Bird. He gives everything in every game and has shown great character outside it.

Yep

Totally agree with all, how tough is he and hates loosing with a passion

He is a very deserving captain leads by example

A real club man and decent bloke

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Titans Fanatic View Post
    My Man, Greg Bird. So many people were against him when he first signed with the titans but he has defiantly changed everybodys mind.

If i had to pick the best player for the titans in 2013 it would have to be birdy. and im sure he will be keen to get a premiership at the gold coast before he hangs up the boots
    If your the No#1# Fan of Greg Bird then I must be #2# then.

As a Qlder I would cringe when he was picked for SOO as I would think that he has in my view a comparison to Trevor Gillmister. More so on grit , determination and work ethic. Plus you always new in SOO he would give his all.

When I heard that Bird was coming to the Titans I was over the moon as I believe that he was " The missing piece of the puzzle " for the Titans culture and a role model for the younger Titans players in terms of what he has to offer on the field. He also gave us that "Mongrel" that the Past Titans teams lacked as our forward pack was always seem as being too nice.

Bird may have played for the Sharks but in my view Greg Bird is a TITAN and if my boys want to play RL in the future then when old enough I will show them You Tube highlights as that is how I would want them to play.

One of my favourite players growing up was Bob Lindner and I got to have a few beers with him a few years ago and I was stoked to me doing the same with Greg Bird would be a highlight for me.

Hey Greg we need to get to work making that new Greg Bird banner for you!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Like others, I detested the idea of him becoming a Titan back in the day, and I resisted accepting him for a long time, but I have come to admire the way he plays and his competitiveness , although I still hate the way he sometimes kills the momentum trying to milk stupid penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Like others, I detested the idea of him becoming a Titan back in the day, and I resisted accepting him for a long time, but I have come to admire the way he plays and his competitiveness , although I still hate the way he sometimes kills the momentum trying to milk stupid penalties.
    That best explains my opinion as well, Whiz. Especially the attempted milking of penalties part, we seem to lose a bit of momentum with that rubbish.