Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Giant centre Jamal Idris quits Gold Coast Titans for NRL switch to Penrith Panthers

JAMAL Idris has obtained an immediate release from Gold Coast to be closer to family in NSW, and is believed to be on the verge of signing a three-year contract with Penrith.

It's understood Idris informed the Titans of his desire to return to Sydney on Monday. He had three years remaining on his contract at Gold Coast, which signed him from Canterbury in 2011.

The former NSW Origin and Test centre will make a formidable addition to Penrith's backline, which is already bristling with speed and youthful potential.

However, Penrith are likely to be forced to release a player to accommodate Idris, with former Knights centre Brad Tighe now expected to move to the Titans.

The 23-year-old is expected to commence training with the Panthers in the next fortnight.

Idris told Titans officials he wanted to return to NSW to be closer to his parents, both of whom live in Sydney's west. He also purchased a property in the area while playing for Canterbury.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley confirmed the release had been granted on "compassionate grounds", but preferred to wait until this afternoon's official announcement to comment further.

Well... that came out of nowhere.
    I guess there's no point forcing a guy go stay (cough* raiders, broncos cough*) but damn. You'd think we would've tried a bit harder (If he asked for the release Monday we obviously put up very little fight).
    With Idris goes hands down out best center, probably our best strike weapon, one of our best defenders, our biggest marquee 'fan' pulling personality, I dare say more than a few fans as well.

If we waste cap space signing Brad Tigh as a replacement, i might throw up. I hope we're lining someone decent up.

Can't imagine anyone filling the massive void Idris will leave in our team for 2014
    Last edited by K2G; 07-01-14 at 01:19 PM.

Zillman centre. Mead fullback. Tighe can eff off. Unless he replaces Blair.

**** off penrith

Brb crying

And I was still hanging out for his kids tv show.

That is out of no where, ah well **** happens, who the **** is brad tighe ?
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Umm wtf is this
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

There goes the neighbourhood. Crap really. Thought he wanted to be a Titan for life.

He was really starting to form something special with Kelly too. Back to the drawing board i guess.

Really getting a 'sinking ship' feeling from this club lately

That fat fk must be getting a bucket load of money from the panthers.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    He was really starting to form something special with Kelly too. Back to the drawing board i guess.

Really getting a 'sinking ship' feeling from this club lately
    Get same feeling.

However could we not have a serious play at Cameron Smith? Because wasn't Jamal on about $500-$550k ??

confirmed on titans.com.au

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have granted centre Jamal Idris an immediate release from the final three years of his contract with the club on compassionate grounds, allowing him to return to Sydney to join the Penrith Panthers.

The Titans have agreed to release Idris effective immediately after the 23-year-old expressed his desire to return to Sydney to be closer to his family.

The move has opened up an opportunity for talented Panthers speedster Brad Tighe to join the Titans on a two-year contract for seasons 2014-15.

Tighe, 29, has played 157 NRL matches for both the Panthers and Newcastle since making his debut for the Knights in 2005.

Idris said he was thankful for the understanding of the Titans due to personal reasons.

“I’ve enjoyed my time here at the Titans and I’m grateful that the club has favourably considered my request for a release,’’ said Idris.

“For personal reasons, I have decided it would be best to be closer to my family as my mum has been ill for the past year and it’s been difficult living interstate.

“I wish the club all the best and am looking forward to the opportunity with the Panthers.’’

iSelect Titans Chief Executive Officer Graham Annesley said while it was unfortunate to be fare welling Idris after just two seasons with the club, it was about putting people’s live first.

“We are dealing with people’s lives and at times, we have to put the best interests of people first,’’ said Annesley.

“Jamal has a really close relationship with his family and we respect his desire to spend more time with them in Sydney.

“Jamal has been great on and off the field during his time at the Titans and while we’re disappointed to see him go we fully understand and appreciate his personal circumstances.

“We now look forward to the arrival of Brad Tighe, who is a well-credentialed centre with plenty of NRL experience.’’

iSelect Titans Coach John Cartwright said Idris had endured a tough run with injuries during his time at the club but had shown Titans fans how good he can be at his best.

“Jamal showed everyone last season exactly what he is capable of, it was just unfortunate that injury struck right when he was playing some of his best football,’’ said Cartwright.

“It’s unfortunate that he is moving on but it’s the best outcome for both Jamal and his family and we respect that.’’

Cartwright said Titans fans would have vivid memories of new recruit Tighe, who has played some of his best football against the club in recent years.

“Brad is a real speedster who I’m sure many fans will remember from late in the 2012 season when he scored three tries against us,’’ said Cartwright.

“It’ll be exciting to see him in Titans colours next season.’’

Baby come back coz i just can't live without u

Seriously... Those of us who were hoping that the worst of our on field performances are behind us can really only take this one way. Our performances without Idris were disgraceful last year. We fell from the top 4 (or thereabouts) to well out of the top 8.

For the fourth consecutive year, we are going to finish closer to last than to first.

Now, where is that 2015 thread...??