Default James ready for Origin call-up

James ready for Origin call-up
    06th January, 2014

On a day built for light-stepping outside backs, the performance of prop Ryan James at the opening Titans training session of the year gave coach John Cartwright further belief that the 22-year-old is ready for the rigours of State of Origin football.

In 34-degree heat and stifling humidity, Titans players endured a gruelling two-hour field session that included a two-kilometre time trial, a contact session and plenty of laps up and down the field. Young recruit Christian Hazard and fellow new boy Kalifa Fai Fai Loa impressed up the front of the pack but not far behind was 194-centimetre, 121-kilogram James.

Having played 21 NRL games over three injury-interrupted seasons prior to 2013, James' 22 games last year saw him elevated to a starting spot at the Titans for the final six weeks of the season and his performances against the likes of Canterbury, North Queensland, Sydney Roosters and Melbourne drew this high praise from Cartwright: "The way he finished the season I thought he was probably the form front-rower of the whole NRL," Cartwright said.

"We played some pretty tough sides and no one got the better of him and I thought he got on top of a few of them.

"He finished the year great, he's had a full off-season and he's had those 50-odd first grade games now so I think he's ready to go another level."

An Indigenous All Stars representative in 2011 and 2013, James made his debut for Country Origin last year and went on to represent the Prime Minister's XIII in Papua New Guinea last September.

Blues coach Laurie Daley was forced to use a different starting front row in each of the three Origin clashes last year and the aggressive style of James' play could be the key ingredient in breaking Queensland's eight-year stranglehold on the interstate arena.

While smaller men struggled in the heat on Monday, the way James powered through is testament to his growing maturity, says Cartwright.

"We forget how young he is because he made his debut pretty early for a front-rower and he's just maturing all the time," he said.

"He's got some great fellas in his position at the club too and he's got great blokes to learn from but more importantly he's the sort of guy that will learn. He's always open to improving himself and he's in great shape.

"He had probably his first full off-season – I don't think he missed any time through the pre-Christmas period – and he's come back in really good shape. His weight's where you need it to be and he's still maturing into his body. His body shape has changed again this off-season so the best is in front of him."

World Cup stars Greg Bird and Nate Myles are due back at training next week while Dave Taylor, Albert Kelly and Jamal Idris all missed the field session. A nagging calf complaint is confining Taylor to hours in the club's altitude chamber while the medical staff are carefully monitoring an infection in one of the veins in Kelly's left foot.

"He had some more injections in it yesterday and we just want to make sure he's right," said Cartwright. "There's no point if we train him and set him back another couple of weeks. When he's 100 per cent we'll get him back out on the field."

From nrl.com
    Last edited by K2G; 06-01-14 at 03:59 PM.

The game against the roosters really stood out to me, he stood up to sonny bill and the whole nrl took notice I remember Michael Crocker on Matty johns footy show talking about it. Hahaha I'm really hoping for a Titan Dad rant anytime now

Ryan seems made for Origin footy. Like Idris, i think on NRL form James warranted a 2013 call up more than some of the blokes actually picked (NSW is a shambles though, so not really surprised they were overlooked).

I felt he was our best prop last year. The prospect of him lifting to another level in 2014 is tantalising

Nice to hear some good rugby League news & i think James watching the likes of Fifita killing it last season has made him take a good look at himself which showed late in the season, well done Dark
    #itaintweaktospeak

Extended article in DT said that Hazard was also at the front of the pack, while maurice blair was "off the pace" and finished 2nd to last.

RYAN James finished the training session wearing just a pair of bright red undies but it was not the only reason the Gold Coast prop was turning heads.

James, 22, was the undoubted star of the Titans' first session of 2014 and it has coach John Cartwright excited that the 115kg forward will finally breakthrough for his NSW Origin debut this season.

An emerging Blues talent for a couple of years now, Cartwright believes James will have an enormous impact this year continuing on from 2013 when the coach considered him the form front rower of the NRL.

"He has come back in very good shape. His weight is where you need it to be and he is still maturing into his body. His body shape has changed again this off-season so the best is in front of him," Cartwright said.

"He will have every opportunity (to play Origin). His preparation has been first class, he has done absolutely everything he can possibly do.

"I thought he was probably the form front rower of the whole NRL by the time the season ended last year. We played some pretty tough sides and no-one got the better of him and I thought he got on top of a few of them.

"I think he is ready to go another level."

It was a torturous return from holidays for the Titans, with a 2km time trial just the start of a 90-minute hit-out in 35 degree heat and stifling humidity that brought profuse sweating even in the shade.

An ill Jamal Idris, Dave Taylor (Achilles) and Albert Kelly (foot) all missed the sweat-fest as Luke Bailey was the first player to drop strides mid-session followed by teammates who ended the session wearing little clothing prompting a call for media to "down cameras".

But while James and new recruit Christian Hazard stood out at the front of the group, the same cannot be said for Maurice Blair who finished second-last in the time trial and looked off the pace.

Blair is due to face Maryborough Magistrates Court tomorrow after he was arrested on New Year's Eve for drinking in public and obstructing police.

Cartwright indicated the former Melbourne centre will have a club penalty and plenty of ground to cover once his legal matter is settled.

"He is not up there with the elite crew (in training), but he works hard, he pushes through it and he doesn't complain," Cartwright said.

"Whether he is playing football or not you've just got to learn bad choices, they haunt everyone, but more so when you are playing at this elite level.

"We will get that (legal process) out of the way and start dealing with it at a club level." Cartwright confirmed the Titans would fully attack the Auckland Nines next month, but questioned the concept of former teammate Brad Fittler making a comeback for the Sydney Roosters.

"I'm not sure if it will be good for the tournament. I know it won't be real good for Brad after 10 years out of the game," Cartwright said.

"If you treat it as a hit and giggle that is how it will come across. We have spoken inwardly as a group, we want to go over and have a real crack at it."

From http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1226796020570

As a Qld'er and a Titans fan I don't want Ryan James to play Origin football, but there is no doubt he deserves it and will kill it once he gets to unleash that aggression in that arena.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    As a Qld'er and a Titans fan I don't want Ryan James to play Origin football, but there is no doubt he deserves it and will kill it once he gets to unleash that aggression in that arena.
    No worries mate, we'll find a way to claim him
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.