Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Legend Brad Fittler to make comeback in Auckland Nines

Sydney Rooster legend Brad Fittler to make comeback in Auckland Nines

Brad Fittler from his glory days with the Sydney Roosters. Source: News Limited
    ROOSTERS great Brad 'Freddy' Fittler is set for a stunning comeback - with the NRL premiers keen to use their legendary playmaker in the Auckland Nines.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal, despite turning 42 next month, Fittler will be part of the Tricolour's squad for the inaugural February tournament, pending approval from the NRL.

The move, which is backed by Roosters supremo Nick Politis, will not only provide a huge boost to the event's promotion, but also bring a little relief for the defending champions, who had more players involved in the World Cup than any other club.

Speaking last night, Roosters Chief Operating Officer Brian Canavan confirmed the Freddy whisper, saying: "We'll be investigating the proposal with the NRL when they reopen on Monday."

Despite retiring way back in 2004, Fittler could be made eligible for the Nines by signing a contract similar to the $1 deal struck a few years ago between Manly and club icon Steve Menzies.

MORE TO COME

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...#ixzz2pDm5MYjt
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Ho hum ... it's off-season ... and if this is what the 9's are going to roll out then we are in for a comedy of pulled-hammy's and streakers running on to the field.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Yea it's in danger of turning into a joke if more of this happens. Bloody Easts.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Yep, I really struggled getting by the Super League stench with this in the first place but to turn it into a Golden Oldies event is just plain stupid ... I wonder what the 80,000 who have reportedly bought tickets think about it?

By way of clarification, I never could understand why we let Yawnion take the 7's brand away from League and for those too young to remember, 9's was Super League's response to the ARL (in fact Colin Love's company) holding the intellectual property rights for 7's.
    Last edited by Titanic; 03-01-14 at 11:35 AM.

This is great news for anyone who is not a Rooters fan. Clearly Freddy is a step backwards for the Rooters, which is a leg up for opposing teams.

Personally, I love Freddy, everything about him, and would love to see him out on the field. Also, I think it is a great marketing strategy for the 9's, because it throws a whole new twist into it, and I think there will be more peeps who are interested in Freddy taking the field than those who will be put off by it.

Except the Rooters fans.

Good way of looking at it. Potentially one rival down!

Sorry Whiz but I don't get that at all ... to turn a competition into a farce is not the way to attract serious interest. They sold the weekend out on the promise of the best players and now they need to attract viewers.

I also like Fittler but would rather remember him for his skills at their peak and his down-to-earth commentary style.

Yesterday, comments around the various newspapers from punters who had bought tickets was anything but complementary.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sorry Whiz but I don't get that at all ... to turn a competition into a farce is not the way to attract serious interest. They sold the weekend out on the promise of the best players and now they need to attract viewers.

I also like Fittler but would rather remember him for his skills at their peak and his down-to-earth commentary style.

Yesterday, comments around the various newspapers from punters who had bought tickets was anything but complementary.
    Don't worry mate, I can't imagine he will be getting much game time. He'll be blowing hard before the first set is completed.

Fittler says he'll make Roosters comeback

AAP
    9:33am Fri 03rd January, 2014

Former Sydney Roosters captain Brad Fittler has indicated he will come out of retirement to play for his old club in the Auckland Nines.

News Corp Australia reported on Thursday that Fittler was poised to make a comeback with the Roosters at the NRL's new pre-season tournament.

Fittler later acknowledged on Twitter the speculation was correct.

"Pumped about given the opportunity to play again for the roosters. Demi has been keeping me fairly fit. #icebath," the rugby league great posted.

The deal is yet to be rubber stamped by the NRL.

"We'll be investigating the proposal with the NRL when they reopen on Monday," Roosters chief operating officer Brian Canavan told News Corp.

Fittler will be 42 when the two-day tournament starts in New Zealand on February 15.

He played the last of his 336 first-grade games in 2004, then coached the Roosters from 2007-2009.
    #itaintweaktospeak

The circus continues. FFS!

Former All Black Brad Thorn was lined up to join Brad Fittler among the veterans taking the field at the Auckland Nines next month.

In the wake of Fittler's recent announcement that he will be suiting up for the Roosters in February, the Herald on Sunday understands Thorn was approached by the Broncos to join their side at the tournament.

The 38-year-old Thorn was apparently open to the idea but the possibility was quickly shut down by the Highlanders, who will be in the middle of their pre-season preparations for the 2014 Super Rugby season.

Thorn played for the Broncos in two spells (1994-2000 and 2004-07), winning NRL titles in 1998, 2000 and 2006. He would have been a big “draw card” for the event, though his involvement on the field may have been limited.

Oh yeah, now we see them in their true colours … beware, beware, beware.

While obviously some are not happy with he idea of involving past greats of the game in the 9's tournament (and I do see their points), I personally think their is a place for it, maybe not in the 9's, but in some future event, probably best as a charity event, where each team/club has to pair a current player with a retired player that has played (as an example) 100 games for that club.

Maybe best served up as a touch/7's tournament to save some broken bones and bruised ego's.

Looks like Beaver may also come out of retirement too , I hope he does one of the true Champions of our game who has only just retired

I'm a huge fan of both players so I hope they do play
    #itaintweaktospeak

Our coach can play, I'm sure he fancies himself and I might come back and have a run too, as a matter of fact let's just not make it a competition at all and just have a big party … sorry boys but let's be honest, an elite competition it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Our coach can play, I'm sure he fancies himself and I might come back and have a run too, as a matter of fact let's just not make it a competition at all and just have a big party … sorry boys but let's be honest, an elite competition it is not.
    I'll be watching it like I watch the Big Bash , probably Fast & Exciting , won't be much different then the way the indigenous game is viewed as no one really rates that game as a serious match..

Looking forward to it
    #itaintweaktospeak