Default North Queensland sign most talented 15-year-old in Australia - Kalyn Ponga

North Queensland sign most talented 15-year-old in Australia - Kalyn Ponga

MEET the most talented 15-year-old athlete in Australia, a red-head whiz-kid chased by six professional clubs across an incredible four sports.

Kalyn Ponga said no to the Brisbane Lions, Queensland Reds, Brisbane Broncos, Sydney Roosters, Melbourne Storm and even ignored a lucrative golf career.

Showing the maturity required to fulfil potential Ponga eventually chose the North Queensland Cowboys as moving to Townsville was best for his family.

A gifted fullback, the Anglican Church Grammar (Churchie) student is already being compared to former pupil Karmichael Hunt.

Ponga broke records in 2012, becoming just the second under-14 player to be chosen for Australia's under-15 league team.

He will be Churchie's First XV fullback this year and Queensland Reds scouts were desperate to keep him in union.

The Brisbane Lions nearly convinced him to commit to Aussie Rules after he starred in their under-18 academy.

Ponga was fast-tracked to the Australian Institute of Sport's Aussie Rules program in Canberra and was rated so highly senior AFL officials were involved in trying to commit him to the Sherrin.

The Broncos, who had Ponga on scholarship last year, offered a four-year deal including a guaranteed place in their NRL squad for 2017.

Oh and Ponga was also the under-13 golf champion of New Zealand, taking out the national tournament in 2010 with a handicap of nine.

However, beyond incredible athleticism is a humble kid who has been through the worst life has to offer and emerged as a credit to his family.

In 2006, Ponga's 18-month-old younger brother Kacey was killed in a car accident near Mt Isa prompting the family to move to New Zealand where his father Andre was born.

Kalyn's grandmother and auntie still live in Mount Isa and the four-year Cowboys deal allows them to reunite.

"Kalyn's chosen what is best for his family," Andre said.

"A lot of our family is in Mt Isa so we won't be far away in Townsville. We used to live there but when we lost our son we moved back to New Zealand.

"The Cowboys deal just made sense.

"Everyone was trying to get a piece of him.

"He was going to wait a year and then decide whether he would go the AFL path or stay with league but we wanted to just get it sorted.

"This has given us a sense of relief."

The Lions scouted Ponga at a representative league game last year which led to one on one tutoring and a recommended to AFL officials that he was a potential midfield star.

But last month the Cowboys made an offer too good to refuse.

"Townsville is sort of home for us and we already had plans to move there and for me I'll do whatever is best for our family," Ponga said.

"I had my mind set on signing with the Broncos but everything changed in the last two months with the AFL.

"I started thinking about playing in the AFL but when the Cowboys offer came I thought I need to keep to my dream and make it in league."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Hopefully a future Maroons and Kangaroos star!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER