Default Salary cap boss Schubert resigns

Salary Cap Auditor Ian Schubert has announced his resignation from the NRL after 18 years as one of the most influential figures in the game.

One of the stars of one of the most memorable Grand Final winning teams in history, Jack Gibson's 1975 Roosters, a veteran of 272 first grade games at the Roosters, the Magpies and the Sea Eagles and a two-time Kangaroo tourist, Ian was one on the most exciting players in the game.

For all of that success, his contribution as a football administrator was equally significant and brought fans just as much excitement.

With the formation of the NRL, Ian was given the role of managing the Salary Cap in the aftermath of the Super League war and unsustainable player payments.

What followed was an era of unprecedented excitement in terms of the closeness of the competition and the genuine hope fans had that their team could win on any weekend.

"Ian's contribution to the game is an historic one and the Salary Cap remains an important part of the competition we have today," NRL Chief Operating Officer, Mr Jim Doyle, said today.

"Ian has managed an incredibly difficult role with a firm but fair approach and has always been mindful of the needs of the players as well as the sustainability of the clubs.

"I am going to miss him but I accept that he wants to move on to other things and I wish him all the best.

"Ian will assist in the completion of the current audits and finish in his role at the end of January.

"The importance of the Salary Cap going forward will be reinforced by making it a part of the Integrity Unit with Jamie L'Oste Brown, who has worked with Ian for the past seven years, taking over as Salary Cap Auditor."

Over the past 15 years the NRL has seen nine different Premiers, while 12 teams have reached the top-four in just the last five years as a result of the Salary Cap.

Ian was also a key figure in the development of the NRL Judiciary and the best youth competition in Australian sport, the Holden Cup.

"I've had a memorable time in the game," Ian said today, looking back at his time as a player, coach, club executive, Super League Executive and Salary Cap Auditor.

"Naturally, those times as a player are hard to beat but the rewards of being an administrator where your contribution is not always noticed, or appreciated, is both rewarding and challenging.

"I have been fortunate to play alongside and against some of the greats of the game during my time as a player and over the past 18 years to also work closely with some very passionate people who may not have played but certainly have the same passion for the game as any player."

Best.News.Ever

Here's hoping the role goes out to an Independent Firm and doesn't get given to another bloke from the old boys club.