Default NRL SuperCoach off-season study guide: Gold Coast Titans

From Couriermail website

DESPITE offering few options over opening rounds, the Titans loom as an essential SuperCoach team later in the season due to their great bye schedule.

Along with the Roosters, Rabbitohs and Bulldogs, the Gold Coast feature arguably the best bye schedule in the competition, with both byes (rounds 12 and 16) falling on easy weeks.

Non-Origin Titans with half-decent averages will therefore be prime buys over the representative period, with Jamal Idris, Dave Taylor and Aidan Sezer at the top of the list.

Conversely, Origin players from the Titans miss five of eight weeks over the rep season, ruling out Nate Myles and Greg Bird as SuperCoach buys.

BEST OF THE PLAYER MOVEMENT

In: Maurice Blair (Storm), Paul Carter (Bulldogs), Christian Hazard (Rabbitohs), Siuatonga Likiliki (Knights), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Cowboys)

Out: Marmin Barba (Broncos), Hymel Hunt (Melbourne Storm), Luke O'Dwyer (retired), Mark O'Dare (Sea Eagles), Jordan Rankin (Hull), Matthew Russell (Warrington)

New contracts: Albert Kelly (2015), Luke Bailey (2014), Greg Bird (2017), Ashley Harrison (2015), Mark Ioane (2015)

Future to be decided: Jordan Atkins, Beau Henry, Anthony Don, Jahrome Hughes, Sam Irwin

A genuine lack of quality player movement will mean the Titans feature very few SuperCoach opportunities from round one. A predicted top 17 for 2014 (see below) features just one new face in former Storm centre Maurice Blair, who will start expensive following a great end to 2013. SuperCoaches will therefore be forced to wait for the rep season to load up on Titans.

PREDICTED BEST 17:

William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Jamal Idris, Maurice Blair, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Luke Bailey, Matt Srama, Luke Douglas, Nate Myles, Greg Bird, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: David Taylor, Ryan James, Beau Falloon, Mark Minichiello

BARGAIN BASEMENT: CHEAPIE ANALYSIS

The Titans may have produced one of the cheapies of the season in Albert Kelly last year, but there is literally nothing to get excited about this year. The lack of player movement means cheapie slots are unlikely to open unless there are mass injuries. Kelly will start at an expensive price following his breakthrough season, while Gold Coast's best Holden Cup player, Hymel Hunt, has been poached by the Storm.

SLEEPING GIANT

Dave Taylor:
    The Gold Coast man mountain produced a poor 2013, but could step it up in 2014 based on past SuperCoach performances. Taylor averaged just 57 last year, way down on his 79 from 2012, 69 from 2011 and 64 from 2010. While he is a risk for round one given inconsistency, Taylor is a definite option over the bye period - provided misses out on Queensland selection (which is likely given the emergence of Josh Papalii, Matt Gillett etc.)

KEEPER

Jamal Idris:
    Idris was Gold Coast's best-performing player last year, averaging 62 before going down with a broken leg. He is a risk for round one given he's backing up from a career year, but will be a definite option over the byes, hopefully at a reduced price.

Aidan Sezer:
    The young five-eighth averaged 60 last year, which doesn't quite place him among the elite SuperCoach playmakers. But with great base stats due to his dead-eye goalkicking, Sezer is a steady option over the byes.

NO GO ZONE: PLAYERS TO AVOID

Nate Myles and Greg Bird:
    The back row duo are undoubtedly great players, but their SuperCoach averages don't quite place them among the best forwards in the game (55 for Myles, 60 for Bird). And with a poor bye schedule that will see them miss five of eight matches over the Origin period, neither will be an option in 2014.

Spewing i didn't bring Sezer into my team(s) last season, he scored really well. Thankfull Alby and Idris killed it for most of the season.

Interesting to see the 'best 17' analysis omits Taka all together. I hope this isn't the case.

I really enjoyed my first real go at supercoach last season. Although i signed up to both Dreamteam (nrl.com) & Supercoach (Telegraph) comps, I only really put effort into the dream team comp and went alright.

Hope to see you all in another GC Forum Titans comp again next season.

at least we have good bench strength with the inclusion of Fai Fai Loa and Maurice Blair. We were in a crisis last season wen Idris, Taka got injured.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Their 17 is fine except take out Mini and add Taka.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

NRL Dreamteam 4 lyf

Come over to the bright side lads

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    at least we have good bench strength with the inclusion of Fai Fai Loa and Maurice Blair. We were in a crisis last season wen Idris, Taka got injured.
    Yep. I agree. I feel 100% better about our depth in the backs. Steve Michaels & Jordan Atkins shouldn't get a run all year god willing. I even feel better about our new backup half this year. Paul Carter could be great for us as well. I still think we're a class fullback and a dangerous front rower away from perfection, but all things considered, I'm confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Their 17 is fine except take out Mini and add Taka.
    I'd make one more change, and drop Zillman out, move Mead to FB and bring KFFL onto the starting wing... but that's not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    NRL Dreamteam 4 lyf

Come over to the bright side lads
    Yeah Dream-team was a better over all system I thought. They should open it up now and let nut jobs like me start tinkering with their team already. How'd you go last year HS?

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    Yep. I agree. I feel 100% better about our depth in the backs. Steve Michaels & Jordan Atkins shouldn't get a run all year god willing. I even feel better about our new backup half this year. Paul Carter could be great for us as well. I still think we're a class fullback and a dangerous front rower away from perfection, but all things considered, I'm confident.

I'd make one more change, and drop Zillman out, move Mead to FB and bring KFFL onto the starting wing... but that's not gonna happen.

Yeah Dream-team was a better over all system I thought. They should open it up now and let nut jobs like me start tinkering with their team already. How'd you go last year HS?
    I went aiite man ended up like 1500th overall or something. How about you? Im starting to put some thought in to cash cows already haha

Yeah i went alright. Three hundred and something i think. I might have to crack the spreadsheet out this season like the pro's do!!

Who have you got marked down to have a breakout season mate? Will be interesting to see how they price Tomkins. I will have my eye on the youth at penrith, warriors and tigers; with the spots opening up in these teams, there will have to be some potential earners there. Will be super interesting to see who 2014's George Burgess / Albert Kelly will be. I think Idris will be my only rd 1 Titan, trial form permitting. I might stick James on the bench (hoping he gets more minutes) and I might take a chance on Taylor, cos i reckon he will surge back to his best in the early rounds.