Default Brad Takairangi says Gold Coast Titans lacked competition in the centres during 2013

GOLD Coast centre Brad Takairangi has welcomed the increased competition at the Titans next season believing he became "too relaxed" with the lack of depth at times in 2013.

Takairangi cemented himself as the centre partner for Jamal Idris, but has a serious battle on his hands keeping the jersey with Maurice Blair arriving from Melbourne and Siuatonga Likiliki joining from Newcastle.

He returned to Titans training this week after playing for Cook Islands at the World Cup and has immediately noticed the step up in intensity among the players during field sessions.

"I've only just come back and the boys are in real good shape," Takairangi said.

"(2013) was good, I got a position there in the centres and I got a bit more game time than I did at the Roosters.

"It's a brand new year, brand new season, they've got a few more centres so it's going to be a bit more competition which is good.

"Last year there weren't too many centres and I felt at times I got a little bit relaxed. But with the two new centres coming in there is definitely going to be heat on each week.

"It's up for grabs and they're definitely going to be putting heat on all of us."

Takairangi admitted to some bittersweet feelings watching his former teammates at the Roosters claim the premiership last October after leaving the club in the preseason, but was confident he'd soon have his own title ring to celebrate.

"We're building towards something special up here," he said.

Tongan international Likiliki said he was ready to apply the pressure for a starting position. While the 98kg wrecking ball can cover any position from the outside backs to the second row, he wants a spot in the centres.

"I don't mind playing anywhere, second row centre or wing, growing up I was playing centre and that's where I'm most comfortable," Likiliki said.

"I'm just hoping I can bring my best game over here and play some good footy for the Gold Coast."

Can't remember a player ever coming out saying he got relaxed (lazy) due to a lack of depth in his own position!

Not the case this season though; infact i see the center's being the biggest selection headache coach will face this off-season. Idris will no doubt hold is spot. I thought Taka was great in patches last season, but Blair seems like a walk-up start for the other spot, with Liks being injury back up at this stage. My only concern with this is the fact that both Blair and Liks will likley have the mandatory slow first season working on combinations, and gelling with the team "structures," which Taka will have already somewhat established.

I've heard a few folks say Taka (and possibly Idris) will end up in the 2nd Row; does Taka get a bench spot this season? Seems a shame to relegate him out of the 13 after the potential he showed in his first season with us.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Was a back row before being pushed out wider … I'd use him off the bench in a four forward bench rotation.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Yeah I see taka as a backrower... He sorta remind me like a younger SBW (but not as good) when he takes a run and looks for that offload.

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    Can't remember a player ever coming out saying he got relaxed (lazy) due to a lack of depth in his own position!

Not the case this season though; infact i see the center's being the biggest selection headache coach will face this off-season. Idris will no doubt hold is spot. I thought Taka was great in patches last season, but Blair seems like a walk-up start for the other spot, with Liks being injury back up at this stage. My only concern with this is the fact that both Blair and Liks will likley have the mandatory slow first season working on combinations, and gelling with the team "structures," which Taka will have already somewhat established.

I've heard a few folks say Taka (and possibly Idris) will end up in the 2nd Row; does Taka get a bench spot this season? Seems a shame to relegate him out of the 13 after the potential he showed in his first season with us.

Thoughts? Preferences?
    I think Taka would be a better second rower. I think having an injury free run for a while should be his first target if he is lucky enough.

I think Taka will be awesome for us in the 9's tournament.

For the season proper he will be best off the bench.
    I like him, he def adds to the squad and should be in the 17 somewhere.