Banned

Default Gold Coast Titans veteran Luke Bailey considers extending career after positive medic

Banned

I think if he can still play at the intensity that is needed to play in the NRL then re sign him.

A legend of our club but I hope he doesn't go on one year too long. Personally I thought he was fading by the end of last season but he deserves to leave on his terms.

Hope he has an injury free run

Has to take a supporting role behind the young guys as became obvious towards the end of last season.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Has to take a supporting role behind the young guys as became obvious towards the end of last season.
    Agree with this 100%. Is Bailey prepared to play Qld Cup if the young guys hold him out of first grade?

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

What a laugh. He has been a superb player for so long. Now he is just kidding himself and further to that he is stopping maybe two young fellas from being developed into regular first graders.
    Bow out gracefully BULL. Dont overstay your tenure, you are better than that.

Bailey eager to defy Father Time
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Qld Correspondent
    NRL.com
    6:00am Fri 29th November, 2013

Luke Bailey may be the last remaining member of the 2000 Dragons but he has no plans to retire any time soon.
    His days of being a karate kid may be far behind him but Titans prop Luke Bailey has revealed the training regime that is enabling him to deny Father Time and continue his career in the NRL.

While good friends Ben Hornby and Dean Young finished their playing careers in 2012 and Matt Cooper and Jason Ryles followed suit in 2013, Bailey is the only Dragons player from his debut season in 2000 preparing to line up again in 2014.

And he doesn't want it to end there.

With Craig Gower's future uncertain, Lote Tuqiri's return to rugby union and the retirements of Ryles, Cooper, Danny Buderus, Joe Galuvao, Shaun Berrigan and Nathan Fien, only Fuifui Moimoi has Bailey covered for age in the NRL next season but the Titans workhorse has indicated that if his body feels as good in 12 months time as it does today then he'll be keen to continue playing past the age of 35.

Bailey is not currently engaged in full training with a Titans pre-season squad decimated by World Cup commitments but says the surgery on his ankle may in fact help to prolong his career in the top grade.

"I'm not training with the guys on the paddock but for me personally it's more of a blessing in disguise because come Christmas I'll be eager to run whereas the boys will be looking to get some rest," Bailey said. "I'll be bouncing around, as it was last year with my Achilles, so it's something of a freshen-up."

As much as he is not completing the gruelling field sessions in the south-east Queensland heat, Bailey credits never giving his body a complete rest in helping to maintain his longevity in the game, confounding even those who have played alongside him.

"They're surprised because I look the oldest; they thought I'd been retiring since I was about 29 so they've become used to me not giving it away," Bailey revealed. "The body feels good... I think 'Coops' was weighing up his options and thinking about running around again but thought the time was right and I'm sure I'll know when the time is right but it's not in the near future anyway. I'll see how the body holds up this year.

"Over the last couple of years I've just tried to not stop training. I've found it's hard if you stop completely so during the off-season I've just kept training two or three days a week to keep fit and that makes it a hell of a lot easier."

Although effusive in his praise for the contribution the foundation co-captain has made to the club, Titans coach John Cartwright made it clear that it will be performance and not sentiment that determines whether Bailey will remain a Titan in 2015.

"It was the same last year, he wanted to see how his body held up and there are a couple of guys in the same boat who are coming off contract," Cartwright said.

"We're in a fortunate position I suppose in that if those guys are playing well then we're going to want to keep them; if not, it's going to leave us some room in our salary cap."

Two more seasons in the NRL will put Bailey within reach of joining the NRL 300 club and while he admits the 'roundhouse kick' learned at karate lessons as a kid is no longer part of the repertoire, the 251-game veteran says the intensity of cross-training gets his body ready for the rigours of another NRL season.

"Just the cross-fit style of fitness, weights combined with circuit training," said Bailey. "That's all I did last year pretty much in the gym, weights combined with the rowing machine and the bike and chin-ups and all that cross-fit stuff.

"If you do an hour of it it's like two hours of training and keeps your legs a bit fresh as well. That's something I've been doing the past 18 to 24 months and that seems to work."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Immortal

I am all for him keeping going, thought he played well last year

As long as he is being honest with himself, and the club is honest with him too, then let him go around again if he feels he has enough to contribute.

At the very least he is a great role model and motivator for the young guns, and if anything, it should make them work harder to get a spot in the squad.

And who doesn't want to see how much his kicking game has improved in the off season???

Needs to be more about quality than quantity with him now though.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

One of my favourite Titans ever, but he was starting to get past it even in 2012. I hope for his sake and the teams he calls it a day after this year.

His hit ups don't break the line any more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    One of my favourite Titans ever, but he was starting to get past it even in 2012. I hope for his sake and the teams he calls it a day after this year.

His hit ups don't break the line any more.
    he rarely even hits the line anymore, 50 percent of the time he gets caught by the markers.

If anyone doesn't believe me, watch him in 2014.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    he rarely even hits the line anymore, 50 percent of the time he gets caught by the markers.

If anyone doesn't believe me, watch him in 2014.
    Yeah I noticed last year that just before he hit the line he would be looking to offload, usually in difficult situations, and the sign of someone that wanted to avoid the harder physical stuff. That is not the real Bailey that we all know so I hope he has a bigger year. But I think this year should be his last.

and several off those miss-directed off-loads were in our own 30.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.