Default The best rugby league international in 10 years: Buzz Monday, 25 November 2013 11:39

The best rugby league international in 10 years: Buzz
    Monday, 25 November 2013 11:39
    0 Comments
    Buzz: This is an open letter to the board of the International Rugby League

By Phil Rothfield – Daily Telegraph – November 25, 2013

Gentlemen, congratulations on staging one of the greatest internationals in the history of the game on Saturday night at Wembley Stadium.

I enjoyed the England-Kiwis match as much as any State of Origin game or any grand final.

It was an absolutely magnificent showpiece of skill, sweeping ball movement, intensity, courage and excitement.

The try Panthers centre Dean Whare set up for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was as spectacular and as stunning as anything you will ever see.

We will be watching it on YouTube and talking about it for years.

Sam Burgess turned in one of the greatest front-row performances from an English forward in international football.

Sonny Bill Williams was just Sonny Bill Williams - simply sensational.

James Graham and Gareth Widdup showed why they are both regarded as world class players.

Shaun Johnson showed why he is the game's next boom halfback with the awareness, the step, the acceleration and the speed to score the last try and then calmly convert.

Compare this to the penalty goal shootouts we so often see rugby union Tests. Or nil-all draws in soccer internationals.

You guys should put this game be on a DVD and show it to the world as there could be no better advertisement for the game of rugby league.

People who have never watched the game will immediately become fans.

As for the second game guys, the Kangaroos against Fiji, I can't comment because I refuse to sit up in the wee small hours to watch any sport when you already know the result.

Australia has now won its last four games by a combined score of 210-2. It's just embarrassing.

The purpose of this letter is to point out ways to improve the game at an international level without subjecting hapless, outclassed opponents to meaningless floggings.

A World Cup should be all about the high quality and standard of the Poms v Kiwis blockbuster.

Instead of exposing the minnows every four years, they need your full time funding, attention and support.

Has an NRL side ever toured Fiji, Tonga or Samoa?

Surely you could stage NRL pre-season trial games in the Pacific Islands, just like we do in Tamworth, Wagga and Coff Harbour.

If we are to stage a Manly v Canberra NRL game in China next year, why not in a developing rugby league country?

Clubs too should be encouraged to bring more Fijian players into the NRL competition. Give salary cap discounts or exemptions to clubs that sign players from Fiji.

The only reason England and the Kiwis are so competitive now is because their players are hardened by the weekly demands and professionalism of NRL football.

In the meantime stage your World Cup every four years but restrict it to the best of the best.

Eventually, if you guys can get the development right over the next decade, we'll have more competitive countries and more magnificent games like England v New Zealand.

Maybe even a Four Nations tournament with a competitive Fiji, not a side that gets belted by 60. That should be your aim.

Regards, Buzz.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Hang on hang on, this is the wanker who was dissing the World Cup last week. He has no right to say the words INTERNATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Restricting a WORLD Cup to just the best. This guy has no idea about concept of a world competition.

I hate this guy.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Hang on hang on, this is the wanker who was dissing the World Cup last week. He has no right to say the words INTERNATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE.
    I knew u would jump on this one Brad

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Restricting a WORLD Cup to just the best. This guy has no idea about concept of a world competition.

I hate this guy.
    I don't know anyone involved in the game as a player,official or supporter that thinks this fool is anything but that........Buzz ,,, wheres the Mortein
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I knew u would jump on this one Brad
    If Im anything it is predictable. Or as I like to think of it, dependable. haha

He said a few weeks ago that he thought watching the WC was a waste of time.

He's the head RL writer in the nation's biggest paper but I bet the house he watched the replay on Sunday instead of watching it live, if he bothered to watch it at all...

Ugh Phil Rothfield.
    Such an oxygen thief.