Default St George Illawarra Dragons coach Steve Price calls on NRL to ban gang tackles

DEAN RITCHIE THE DAILY TELEGRAPH NOVEMBER 17, 2013 11:00PM

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Steve Price has controversially called on the NRL to consider banning the gang tackle.

Price stressed rugby league would be faster - and sustain significantly less injuries - by limiting each tackle to just two defenders.

Data reveals play-the-balls used to take around four to five seconds to complete a decade ago - that figure is now seven seconds because three and four defenders are in every tackle.

Price's proposal would also outlaw the dangerous cannonball tackle and rugby league's twisting and wrestling tactics.

Having only two defenders in every tackle would also ease the strain and physical pressure on the bodies of NRL players.

Four forwards in a tackle could weigh a combined total of about 420kg - the equivalent of a cow.

Price is hoping for the change with NRL head of football, Todd Greenberg, saying any recommendations would go to the game's competition committee early next month.

''I'd definitely like to see the third man eliminated,'' Price said.

''That's a decision (for) the NRL committee to make.

''I'd like to see the game sped up around the ruck and create more space.

''It will be more entertaining from an offensive point of view. That's what the spectators want to see.

''It will also eliminate a lot of twisting and injuries. You want to see your best players playing the game week in, week out. That's what the fans pay their money for.

''I'm a fan of player safety and eliminating injuries.''

Price said rugby league should focus on attack.

''If you do bring in the two-man tackle it will reduce the seconds it takes for the play-the-ball,'' he said.

''It's a decision (for) the NRL have to make but we'll have to wait and see.

''Each year the amount of force the players are generating in terms of impact is quite severe.

''It's something we need to look at in rugby league going forward.''

Greenberg said last night he against the move in theory but the NRL would listen to any way of improving the game.

''We will not place a complete ban on a third man in a tackle. (But) we have listened to a range of different opinions and will ultimately make a decision with the games best interests,'' he said.

''We will consult with the competition committee in our next meeting in early December and then any recommendations will go to the commission in late December.''

Manly coach Geoff Toovey argued the three-man ban would be difficult for referees to police.

Toovey did want to see an end to the cannonball tackle.

"I think everyone agrees we could do without that tackle in the game but I'm not so sure about the three-man rule,'' Toovey said.

"I can't see it working. I don't think you could stop players coming in to help a tackle being made.

"You might need to in order to put a player to ground or stop an offload."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Don't want it to happen , will become a Penalty-a-Thon
    #itaintweaktospeak

Tend to agree, Pete. It's all getting a bit silly if they head down that route.

I dislike gang tackles. But as Pete points out. How do you police it without ruining the game. I really worry about the types of nasty injuries we see from these types of tactics. Pulling pulling crushing and snapping the body in all types of directions.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER