Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trials: Broncos vs Storm

Brisbane Broncos v Melbourne Storm
    at Clive Berghofer Stadium, Toowoomba
    Kick-off: 7.30pm (EST)

Broncos: Nick Parfitt; Scott Minto, Justin Hodges, Steve Michaels, Tame Tupou; Casey McGuire, Karmichael Hunt; Neville Costigan, Brad Thorn, Dane Carlaw; Corey Parker, Michael Ennis, Shane Webcke (c).

Interchange: Petero Civoniceva, Ben Hannant, Darius Boyd, Greg Eastwood, Shane Perry (one to be omitted).

Coach: Wayne Bennett

Default Broncos turn to veteran half

Broncos turn to veteran half
    By Laine Clark
    February 20, 2006

SECOND chances don't come often in rugby league - just ask veteran utility half Shane Perry.

The 28-year-old former Canterbury Bulldog thought his NRL days were over when he returned to Queensland Cup side Redcliffe in 2002.

Almost four years later Perry has made a second straight Brisbane pre-season trial team while being groomed as a possible trump card during the Broncos' heavy State of Origin commitments.

After impressing in Brisbane's 28-20 weekend trial win over Canberra at Port Macquarie, Perry has again been named on the bench for the Broncos' Saturday night trial against Melbourne at Toowoomba.

Perry made his NRL debut in 1999 for Wests before linking with the Bulldogs where he became a reserve grade regular from 2000-01 before returning to Queensland.

But Perry has snapped up an NRL lifeline with Brisbane since training with the Broncos from December as part of a dual registration deal with Redcliffe.

Perry came off the bench against Canberra last weekend and didn't look back.

A Perry grubber that set up the first of Brisbane winger Tame Tupou's three tries sparked a run of 28 unanswered points.

Perry has told the Broncos website that Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett had already discussed using him as cover for the expected injuries and unavailability during the State of Origin series.

Karmichael Hunt - nine years younger than Perry - retains the starting halfback role against Melbourne as regular No.7 Brett Seymour (shoulder) remains on a lengthy Broncos injury list.

Captain Darren Lockyer (foot), Shaun Berrigan (wisdom teeth), Barry Berrigan (neck), Tonie Carroll (elbow), David Stagg (hamstring), Sam Thaiday (knee) and Brent Tate (ankle) were also not considered for the Storm clash.

However, stand-in Brisbane skipper Shane Webcke (head wound) and utility Casey McGuire (eye) have recovered from injuries sustained in the weekend win and will play against Melbourne.

Brisbane has retained the same starting team that downed Canberra.

Greg Eastwood was added to the bench after being forced to miss the Canberra game due to an ankle injury.

2007 GF preview :afro: :emp:

Titan CEO

Hmmm not their strongest team. But still some youngsters in that team that will hurt you in attack, esp Boyd, from reports ive heard he is a real good player.

The storm will be mising a few big guys up front but other then i expect a pretty strong team.

Chance of the Storm giving their feeder players a good run here? Me thinks they dont want to risk too many more injuries at this stage!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Chance of the Storm giving their feeder players a good run here? Me thinks they dont want to risk too many more injuries at this stage!
    Cant risk any players from the feeder ethier tho mate. You cant play it safe...name a team of players that need the fitness or name players bellamy isnt sure on.

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    Hmmm not their strongest team. But still some youngsters in that team that will hurt you in attack, esp Boyd, from reports ive heard he is a real good player.

The storm will be mising a few big guys up front but other then i expect a pretty strong team.
    Darius Boyd is a real talent. Melbourne will want to keep a handle on him or they'll be in big trouble.

Come on Parfitt, show them what you are made of!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Yea I hope Parfitt steps up in this game, its a chance to show what hes made of.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

Default Final Score: Broncos 10 Storm 58

Broncos 10 Storm 58

STORM flyer Billy Slater scored a brace of tries as Melbourne thrashed injury-ravaged Brisbane Broncos in an NRL trial match in Toowoomba tonight.

It may have been a pre-season hit-out but Slater and the Storm looked every bit like title contenders in a ruthless display just a fortnight out from the start of the competition.

MELBOURNE 58 (B Slater 2, G Inglis 2, S Hill 2, M Geyer, J Webster, C Cronk, D Kidwell, C Smith tries; G Inglis 4, C Smith 3 goals)
    BRISBANE 10 (S Minto, D Kemp tries; M Ennis goal) at Clive Berghofer Stadium, Toowoomba.
    Referee: T Archer.
    Crowd: 6713.

Foxsports.com.au

QLD Cup Titan

I'm surprised by not only the NRL scoreline but also the Qld Cup score between the two feeder clubs. My suspicions about the lack of depth at the Broncos may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Broncos 10 Storm 58

STORM flyer Billy Slater scored a brace of tries as Melbourne thrashed injury-ravaged Brisbane Broncos in an NRL trial match in Toowoomba tonight.

It may have been a pre-season hit-out but Slater and the Storm looked every bit like title contenders in a ruthless display just a fortnight out from the start of the competition.

MELBOURNE 58 (B Slater 2, G Inglis 2, S Hill 2, M Geyer, J Webster, C Cronk, D Kidwell, C Smith tries; G Inglis 4, C Smith 3 goals)
    BRISBANE 10 (S Minto, D Kemp tries; M Ennis goal) at Clive Berghofer Stadium, Toowoomba.
    Referee: T Archer.
    Crowd: 6713.

Foxsports.com.au

LOL that must have been hard to post! ;-)

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Leading point-scorer contender roughie in Greg Inglis for 2006?

Very poor crowd for a game that had a host of attacking stars in the line-ups, very disappointing.

I hope Melbourne take this form in to the NRL season with them as they will yet again be the team with NQ that I label "must watch TV". I cannot wait to see Greg Inglis make a fist of being a regular starter in the NRL, Bellamy must be salivating at his teams prospects this season with the back line they can run out with.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Leading point-scorer contender roughie in Greg Inglis for 2006?

Very poor crowd for a game that had a host of attacking stars in the line-ups, very disappointing.

I hope Melbourne take this form in to the NRL season with them as they will yet again be the team with NQ that I label "must watch TV". I cannot wait to see Greg Inglis make a fist of being a regular starter in the NRL, Bellamy must be salivating at his teams prospects this season with the back line they can run out with.
    Both Billy Slater and Inglis will be up at the pointy end of the top try scorers this year im sure there will be a bit of friendly rivarly between the two. The crowd was slightly disappointing but it was held up at Toowoomba and the ground cant hold too much over 10,000 so its a fair effort for the country people.

Titan CEO

melbournestorm.com.au

Storm's halves pairing of Cooper Cronk and Scott Hill allayed any fears the loss of Matt Orford would dull the attacking potency of the team as they were instrumental in disposing of the Brisbane Broncos 58-10 with a clinical performance at Toowoomba's Clive Berghofer Stadium.

In an explosive opening 15 minutes, Billy Slater (twice), Scott Hill and Matt Geyer all crossed the try line, with Cronk and Hill at the heart of every attacking move. Cronk's chip kick over the Broncos defence to set up Slater's second was worth the admission price alone.

When the Broncos managed to get possession, Melbourne's defence stood tall causing several turnovers.

The try of the match was scored in the 31st minute when Hill, David Kidwell, Matt King and Cronk traded passes, bamboozling the Broncos defence for 50 metres before Cronk scored underneath the posts.

However, with three minutes of the first half remaining, a retreating Storm defence was caught out by a quick Broncos break and Scott Minto crossed in the corner to give themselves a faint glimmer of hope.

The second half began with a more committed Broncos side taking it up to the Storm defence.

However, after nine minutes of to and fro between the two teams, a slick move down the Storm's right flank saw Slater evade a couple of would be tacklers before off-loading to Jake Webster who danced his way to the try line to make it 32-6, and seemingly out of the Broncos reach.

In the 57th minute a line break from new recruit Michael Crocker saw first Geyer and then Jamie Feeney have the try line in their sights. A last ditch tackle only prolonged the agony for the Brisbane team as Hill set up Inglis in the corner for the easiest of tries.

Five minutes later Inglis made it two tries in a row as constant pressure from front-rowers Adam Blair and Garret Crossman opened up cracks in the Broncos defence.

The Broncos Dennin Kemp then crossed in the corner for the Broncos before Kidwell sliced open the Broncos defence in the 83rd minute, meeting an inch perfect pass from Hill.

To rub salt into the Broncos wounds, Cam Smith took on the Broncos defence alone and easily crossed in the corner before Hill scored in the dying moments to round off a comprehensive 11 tries to two victory.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy was obviously happy with the comprehensive victory, but tempered any over-enthusiasm by stating it was only a practice game.

"Delighted for sure, but we've been in this situation before," said Bellamy.

"We're not going to get carried away. We've got a very difficult six weeks ahead of us. These are just practice games, but it's good to get good practice.

"I thought the halves of Cooper Cronk and Scott Hill looked good together for their first hit-out. Cameron Smith was his usual busy self and Billy Slater at fullback looks back to the sharp Billy we all know.

"I thought the young props of Crossman and Kaufusi were very, very good. Both of them have worked very hard on their fitness during the pre-season and it showed tonight.

"As I said at the very beginning of this, it's only February and if we're talking about these sorts of scores in April, May and June, I'll be very happy."

STORM 58 (Tries: Slater 2, Inglis 2, Hill 2, Geyer, Cronk, Webster, Kidwell, Smith; Goals: Inglis 5, Smith 2) def. BRONCOS 10 (Tries: Minto, Kemp; Goals: Ennis)