Default World Cup Quarter Finals: Australia vs USA

Australia vs USA
    Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium, Wales
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Key this one in for highest score of the World Cup.

I wonder if they are playing for the Liberty Cup? That would be a nice touch.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Cherry-Evans wins RLWC selection battle

Daly Cherry-Evans has earned another World Cup start against Ireland.
    In-form playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans has beaten Robbie Farah to a spot in the Kangaroos squad for the Rugby League World Cup quarter-final against the United States.

Manly halfback Cherry-Evans looks set to secure a place on the interchange bench for the match at Wrexham after earning selection in Tim Sheens' 20-man squad named on Wednesday.

The Clive Churchill medallist impressed playing in the halves in two of Australia's group matches and his selection comes at the expense of Wests Tigers hooker Farah, one of three players left out of the squad.

Josh Morris and Michael Jennings were the others omitted, indicating veteran Brent Tate is likely to hold on to the contentious right centre spot with Sheens looking to pick his best available team after rotating the group in recent games.

Sheens will not name his final 17 until just before Saturday's game and is keeping his selection cards close to his chest, but he's revealed vice captain Paul Gallen is in some doubt with a leg problem.

Billy Slater keeps his spot despite his involvement in a nightclub fight earlier this week.

Farah's omission after playing in all three of Australia's group games suggests Cherry-Evans has won the battle between the two for the utility bench spot.

But Sheens says the Sea Eagles star is also putting pressure on first-choice halves Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston.

"He has applied enough pressure to keep both boys on their toes," Sheens said.

"He has certainly got them looking over their shoulder - that's a great thing.

"No one is really comfortable."

Cherry-Evans was one of Australia's best players in the wins over Fiji and Ireland - named man of the match in the latter - but Sheens says his selection ahead of Farah also comes down to providing injury cover for his halves.

The coach insists Farah is still in the mix for selection later in the tournament.

"The criteria I'm using is `who can cover'. There's two halves and one hooker, so there are two players that might get injured rather than one," Sheens said.

"... At this point I've covered the seven and the six but it's not to say that's the end of it.

"I've given both guys a bit of football ... so if I need them in the next three games. Whichever way I go, I can use them."

While North Queensland veteran Tate looks likely to partner Greg Inglis in the centres, Sheens could instead opt to go with Jarryd Hayne following the Parramatta star's two-try performance against Ireland.

"That's one of the most contentious positions," Sheens said.

"I'll play that very close to my chest until game time."

A victory against tournament surprise packets the Tomahawks would set up a semi-final against either Samoa or Fiji.

Australian 20-man squad: Cameron Smith (capt), Paul Gallen (vc), Greg Bird, Darius Boyd, Daly Cherry-Evans, Boyd Cordner, Cooper Cronk, Andrew Fifita, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis, Brett Morris, Nate Myles, Josh Papalii, Corey Parker, Matthew Scott, Billy Slater, James Tamou, Brent Tate, Sam Thaiday, Johnathan Thurston.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

QUARTER FINAL 2: AUSTRALIA V USA
    11.30pm AEDT LIVE on 7mate| 1pm replay on 7mate on Sunday November 17

Hayne in for Tate , very happy with that gives us far more strike power
    #itaintweaktospeak

Tomahawk's shock return from broken arm
    By Chris Garry
    NRL.com
    9:29am Fri 15th November, 2013

In scenes reminiscent of Shane Webcke's 2000 NRL grand final appearance, Tomahawks' backrower Mark Cantoni will make his World Cup debut just one month after breaking his arm.

Cantoni, a bulldozing second rower who is on annual leave from his surveying job in Queensland, has been selected in the Tomahawks 19-man squad to face the Kangaroos.

Saturday's quarter final clash against the tournament favourites in Wrexham will be Cantoni's final game in a code he has played in France, Queensland, New South Wales and the USA.

Cantoni was shattered when he broke his arm in the Tomahawks' thrilling victory over France in Toulouse in their World Cup warm-up in late October.

While outside of the camp many wrote the 34-year-old's tournament off, a sheer will to compete for USA drove Cantoni to attempt a comeback.

On Saturday his hard work pays off.

Tomahawks' captain Joseph Paulo, who will face Parramatta Eels teammate Jarryd Hayne on Saturday, said it was this team's bond that had spurred them to a never-imagined quarter-final against the Kangaroos.

"You can tell there is something special about this team," Paulo said.

"We are not here for money.

"The morale here... you can tell we will be mates for life.

"This is built on hard work and we are all fighting for something.

"We are here playing for each other.

"We are ambassadors for the game at the World Cup and for America."

Paulo said he knew Hayne would be picked in the team because he had not been texting him recently.

"I was actually trying to see if he was still coming to my wedding, but he hasn't replied lately so I figured he must be picked," Paulo said.

"I know how gifted and talented he is and it is great knowing he will be out there playing against us."

USA Tomahawks squad to face Australia: Mark Cantoni, Bureta Faraimo, Kristian Freed, Michael Garvey, Roman Hifo, Danny Howard, Stephen Howard, Joel Luani, Clint Newton, Mark Offerdahl, Joseph Paulo, Matt Petersen, Eddy Pettybourne, Craig Priestly, Tui Samoa, Matt Shipway, Les Soloai, Loto Tagaloa, Taylor Welch.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Tate dropped for RLWC quarter-final
    By Liam FitzGibbon
    AAP
    7:00am Fri 15th November, 2013

Veteran centre Brent Tate has been dropped from the Kangaroos squad to face the United States, paving the way for Jarryd Hayne to start in Saturday's Rugby League World Cup quarter-final.

Tate had been the incumbent right centre in Tim Sheens' first-choice Australian side but was the odd man out as the a 20-man squad was trimmed by one on Thursday.

Tate joined Josh Morris and Michael Jennings in being left out of the squad for the clash at Wrexham, in Wales, meaning Hayne has likely won the race to partner Greg Inglis in the centres.

Sheens had been keen to play his cards close to his chest over the contentious position but Tate's axing was revealed when tournament officials announced Australia's 19-man squad on Thursday, despite the Kangaroos initially naming 20 players.

Hayne missed out on selection in Australia's tournament-opening win over England but impressed in pool matches against Fiji and Ireland as Sheens rotated his squad.

The Parramatta star played on the wing in both games but it appears his form has convinced Sheens to play him out of position at centre, although the coach could also opt to shift Brett Morris closer to the middle.

Hayne's likely selection means he will face Eels teammate Joseph Paulo on Saturday and the US captain won't be surprised if that is the case.

Paulo said earlier on Thursday he already had a feeling Hayne would be playing because he hadn't been receiving text messages from his good friend recently.

"I was actually trying to see if he was still coming to my wedding but he hasn't replied lately so I figured he must be picked," Paulo said.

"I know how gifted and talented he is and it is great knowing he will be out there playing against us."

Hayne scored a double in last week's 50-0 win over Ireland in Limerick, his eighth Test for Australia.

The NSW star this week paid tribute to 25-year-old Paulo, who has been one of the players of the tournament and instrumental in the Tomahawks' unlikely run to knockout stages.

Hayne has played with Paulo since juniors and said the ball-playing backrower would return to the Eels next season a better player for his World Cup experience.

"It will be good for his confidence and obviously the exposure as well," Hayne said.

"He has come from nowhere.

"I remember when he was in the qualifying stages last year and just to make it (to the World Cup) was huge for them.

"Then for them to come over and shock the world is great."

Sheens will not name his final 17 until an hour before Saturday's match.

Australian 19-man squad:

Cameron Smith (capt), Paul Gallen (vc), Greg Bird, Darius Boyd, Daly Cherry-Evans, Boyd Cordner, Cooper Cronk, Andrew Fifita, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis, Brett Morris, Nate Myles, Josh Papalii, Corey Parker, Matthew Scott, Billy Slater, James Tamou, Sam Thaiday, Johnathan Thurston.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Australia killing USA 56-0 with ten to go.

Kangaroos not showing mercy. How it should. USA just haven't had an opportunity. Poor crowd. I think the Welsh are still cut the their side was so poor.

Slater taken off injured. Knee injury. Hopefully he is fine for the Semi

MOM awarded prematurely I'm sure. Inglis just monstered them, and Hayne was on fire...

So Inglis, Hayne and Morris in that order IMO.

.....and for the losing side. That little halfback. (Whoever had the headgear)He never gave up all game.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    MOM awarded prematurely I'm sure. Inglis just monstered them, and Hayne was on fire...

So Inglis, Hayne and Morris in that order IMO.

.....and for the losing side. That little halfback. (Whoever had the headgear)He never gave up all game.
    Agree mate , that will be the no1 side throughout the finals , Hayne at centre adds way more strike power
    #itaintweaktospeak