Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gold Coast Titans make play to bring AFL convert Karmichael Hunt back to the NRL

Gold Coast Titans make play to bring AFL convert Karmichael Hunt back to the NRL
    Peter Badel EXCLUSIVE
    News Limited
    November 07, 2013 12:00AM

GOLD Coast Suns are facing a battle to retain Karmichael Hunt after the Titans expressed interest in bringing the former Bronco back to the NRL.
    Titans boss Graham Annesley said they have room in the salary cap to make a legitimate play for Hunt, who is off contract at the end of next season.
    The Courier-Mail can reveal Hunt has been on the Titans' radar for months, with former chief executive David May first meeting with the three-code athlete's management in June.
    Club sources say May made a preliminary approach with the blessing of Titans shareholder Michael Searle, who has previously snared big guns Jamal Idris, Nate Myles and Dave Taylor.
    May resigned soon after registering interest in Hunt, but his departure has failed to temper the Titans' enthusiasm for one of the most accomplished athletes in Australian sport.
    Social media speculation suggested Hunt had already signed a two-year with the Titans. Annesley insists that is not the case, but agrees the Titans could strike a major blow in the Gold Coast sporting turf war by luring Hunt from the Suns.

"Karmichael is not off contract until the end of next year but we would certainly be interested in someone of his quality,'' Annesley said.
    "Our salary cap situation is tight for 2014, although it is a different ball game in 2015.
    "We haven't had internal discussions, but we wouldn't immediately say no to someone like Karmichael.
    "There is no rush, Karmichael has another year to go anyway, but we are as interested in him as any other NRL club.''
    The push for Hunt to return to the NRL gathered momentum after his turbulent season with the Suns. The former Queensland Origin utility battled hamstring tendinitis and played only nine matches, well shy of the 34 he compiled in his first two seasons in AFL.
    The Suns have no intention of losing Hunt and one impediment for NRL suitors could be his $1 million-plus AFL salary.
    "A lot will come down to what we have available under the cap and the club's requirements going forward,'' Annesley said.
    "But Karmichael is a huge star anywhere in Queensland and in southeast Queensland in particular because of what he has done in the AFL.
    "There is no question he would be a massive drawcard for the Titans and rugby league.''

A fortnight ago, Brisbane centre Justin Hodges urged his good mate to make an NRL comeback with the Broncos. Hunt's manager David Riolo said the 26-year-old had given no indication he wanted out of the Suns.
    "At least this year he is off contract so he can attract offers,'' Riolo said. "I don't want to speculate. His future will pan out as the season progresses.''

Banned

Hunt's manager David Riolo said the 26-year-old had given no indication he wanted out of the Suns.
    This probably tells us everything we need to know. I'm sure his management are seeking offers from other suitors but would he really want to leave his current situation with a young child to care for now? Even if we can muster up a bigger offer than the Suns, they'll just go to the AFL and they'll find a way to offer more money through marketing or something like that. Losing one of their most popular players to the opposition in the same city is something the AFL would definitely want to avoid. Pie in the sky sort of stuff in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    This probably tells us everything we need to know. I'm sure his management are seeking offers from other suitors but would he really want to leave his current situation with a young child to care for now? Even if we can muster up a bigger offer than the Suns, they'll just go to the AFL and they'll find a way to offer more money through marketing or something like that. Losing one of their most popular players to the opposition in the same city is something the AFL would definitely want to avoid. Pie in the sky sort of stuff in my opinion.
    Not too many Rugby League followers thought much of this Mythical subject , Top Rugby League player "4 years ago", move on let him play the other game, Hunt himself has stated many a time he's not a RL fan & really only likes watching Basketball , who cares leave him where RL fans don't give a Shyte... he's never been one of the eilte who looks like he owns the game ... has anyone ever thought "Gee i wonder how K Hunt is going" ..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Not too many Rugby League followers thought much of this Mythical subject
    Um... If I didn't know you personally I may have taken that as a dig.

I didnt but many did. But he has faded away. Sure he is making big bucks but he may have a competitive thirst to return to the NRL. I think that would be good for the game and I'd be interested to see how he goes.

Comments like not watching NRL and his choice of the Roos over Kiwis threw me off him TBH.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    Um... If I didn't know you personally I may have taken that as a dig.
    I would never take a Dig at a mate thats "Packin"

I just don't believe he'll be coming near us next season..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titans hover in Hunt sunset
    Peter Badel | 07:49am November 7, 2013

GOLD Coast Suns are facing a battle to retain Karmichael Hunt after the Titans last night expressed interest in bringing the former Bronco back to the NRL.

Titans boss Graham Annesley said they have room in the salary cap to make a legitimate play for Hunt, who is off contract at the end of next season.

Hunt has been on the Titans' radar for months, with former chief executive David May first meeting with the three-code athlete's management in June.

Club sources say May made an approach with the blessing of Titans shareholder Michael Searle, who has previously snared big guns Jamal Idris, Nate Myles and Dave Taylor.

May resigned soon after registering interest in Hunt, but his departure has failed to temper the Titans' enthusiasm for one of the most accomplished athletes in Australian sport.

Social media speculation suggested Hunt had already signed a two-year with the Titans.

Annesley insists that is not the case, but agrees the Titans could strike a major blow in the Gold Coast sporting turf war by luring Hunt from the Suns.

"Karmichael is not off contract until the end of next year but we would certainly be interested in someone of his quality," Annesley said.

"Our salary cap situation is tight for 2014, although it is a different ball game in 2015.

"We haven't had internal discussions, but we wouldn't immediately say no to someone like Karmichael.

"There is no rush, Karmichael has another year to go anyway, but we are as interested in him as any other NRL club."

The push for Hunt to return to the NRL gathered momentum after his turbulent season with the Suns. The former Queensland Origin utility battled hamstring tendinitis and played only nine matches, well shy of the 34 he compiled in his first two seasons in AFL.

The Suns have no intention of losing Hunt and one impediment for NRL suitors could be his $1 million-plus AFL salary.

"A lot will come down to what we have available under the cap and the club's requirements going forward," Annesley said.

"But Karmichael is a huge star anywhere in Queensland and in southeast Queensland in particular because of what he has done in the AFL.

"There is no question he would be a massive drawcard for the Titans and rugby league."

A fortnight ago, Brisbane centre Justin Hodges urged his mate to make an NRL comeback with the Broncos.

Hunt's manager David Riolo said the 26-year-old had given no indication he wanted out of the Suns.

"At least this year he is off contract so he can attract offers," Riolo said. "I don't want to speculate. His future will pan out as the season progresses."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titans hover in Hunt sunset
    Peter Badel | 07:49am November 7, 2013

Hunt has been on the Titans' radar for months, with former chief executive David May first meeting with the three-code athlete's management in June.

Club sources say May made an approach with the blessing of Titans shareholder Michael Searle, who has previously snared big guns Jamal Idris, Nate Myles and Dave Taylor.
    Is this the same "Blessing" that was given to Dave when he went to sign Tomkins
    #itaintweaktospeak

The comments in the latest article " Gold Coast Titans Power Broker Michael Searle " ......these comments worry me and wonder is this a statement that he is here to stay.....
    I would think that KHunts price tag does not really justify taking somebody that long away from RL. He was quoted in an article a year or so ago that his bodt as trimmed to that of an AFL player.....He would have to add a fair bit of bulk to come back to his RL body....

for 2015 I would rather chase DCE that Hunt....if we had space in the CAP....

I think that it’s a bit hypocritical that Annersley can talk about how much we can spend on a player , however when David May spoke like this when we were after Sam Tomkins David May was publicly told off in the media by Searle and Cartwright .

I would never take a Dig at a mate thats "Packin"

I just don't believe he'll be coming near us next season..
    Haha your funny. I agree and it's a good thing I never mentioned a thing about next year Indid manage to stir up a bit of a media frenzy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    Haha your funny. I agree and it's a good thing I never mentioned a thing about next year Indid manage to stir up a bit of a media frenzy though.
    Saying that he was supposed to officially sign on Wednesday would be an indication that he will be here next year.

What's the realistic price tag For Hunt?
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    What's the realistic price tag For Hunt?
    No more than what Bird or Myles would be on... maybe not even that ......Until he proves his worth do an upgrade.....