Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gold Coast Titans CEO Graham Annesley announces 'aggressive' restructure

GOLD Coast chief executive officer Graham Annesley says he's restructured the NRL club's business unit to maximise the team's performance on the field.

In one of Annesley's first significant steps since joining the Titans in August, the former NSW sports minister says the club's business unit has been restructured to "aggressively" grow revenues.

Thursday's development comes days after Annesley was forced to publicly refute suggestions the Titans had failed to pay some players' marquee payments and owed money to the NRL.

"The only reason an NRL club exists is to be in the mix with the other teams in contention for the major end of season games," Annesley said in a statement.

"This can only happen if we have a strong business model off the field so the players can be assured everything we do in the administration is targeted at supporting their efforts on the field."

The club's revenue-related functions will now be pulled together under one central sales and marketing department under the restructure.

The Titans have had a chequered financial history in recent times, with the NRL reportedly almost folding the club in March over debts of up to $25 million.

Club chairman Darryl Kelly said the changes should give fans confidence the Titans are recovering off the field.

"Our players, fans, and partners have every reason to feel confident about 2014 and beyond," Kelly said.

"The administrative changes announced today will ensure everyone in our organisation is focused on supporting the players' efforts to perform at their optimum."

Junior

"The club's revenue-related functions will now be pulled together under one central sales and marketing department under the restructure."

How was it structured before?
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

If we had a Board they would be across all this type of stuff. Unfortunately every quote I see from Graham Annesley I just imagine that it is Michael Searle actually saying it.
    Possibly unfair for me to say that and I hope I am wrong but a Board would greatly ensure my confidence.

Default Seven Titans staff axed from club

Seven Titans staff axed from club

Travis Meyn | 12:01am November 1, 2013

NEW Gold Coast Titans boss Graham Annesley has wielded the axe, sacking seven staff yesterday in a last-ditch bid to rescue the Gold Coast club.

Annesley's shock ''restructure'' came a month after the former NSW sports minister took up the chief executive officer's role.

Two football development staff were ditched along with three sponsorship and two marketing employees.

The club's revenue-raising departments have been merged and will be managed by a head of sales and marketing in a newly designed role.

Annesley, a former chief operating officer of the NRL, has a wealth of contacts in the sports industry and could look south to bring in better credentialled staff.

Annesley said he was determined to to turn around the club both on and off the field.

''I wasn't recruited to come here and do the same old thing,'' he said. ''I've got the responsibility for making this place successful long-term.

''Having been here a month, the structure I'd taken over was not the best structure for the business, going forward.

''We need to set the place up to give us the best possible chance of success in the future.''

The Titans went through a financial crisis last year with debts nearly causing the folding of the NRL club.

Staff cuts were made earlier this year and Annesley said reducing costs was a focus of his.

''Everyone has to live within their means, there's no question about that,'' he said.

''This is not just about cutting costs. We've been recruiting at the same time and we're going to continue to recruit.

''Our whole reason for existence is to give our football team the best possible opportunity on the field.''

Annesley summoned staff to a 9.30am meeting yesterday at the club's Robina base to deliver the news.

''These things are never easy. It's a major restructure, there's a level of uncertainty and it's an emotional time,'' he said.

''I've made it very clear to the staff I think this place has enormous potential and I wouldn't have come here otherwise.

''I believe the structure we've put in place today gives us the best chance to maximise that potential.

''Everyone is going to clearly understand what their role is and be accountable.''

The club recently appointed sacked North Queensland Cowboys coach Neil Henry as an assistant to John Cartwright and appointed Ben Woolf as full-time under-20s coach.
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 01-11-13 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added link to article.

It sounds like Annersley is taking on an "all or nothing" approach.

It certainly doesn't sound like he is Michael Searle's puppet.

The 2 football staff sacked won't be missed..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Shows that Graham is his own man and the club seems willing to make radical changes. I hope we get the right mix happening in the administration side of things.

Best of luck to those that have lost their jobs, that's not easy.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I have cautious optimism now....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Shows that Graham is his own man and the club seems willing to make radical changes. I hope we get the right mix happening in the administration side of things.
    I'm not so sure that's what it actually shows. Isn't it more likely that they are just cutting these people in an attempt to cut costs for next season? I could be wrong but something tells me those old roles won't be filled. The two previously independent sections have been merged into one which is of course going to result in less employees.

Not so sure about the financial situation at the club and I'm 99% sure we won't hear anything about it like we did from David May.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    I'm not so sure that's what it actually shows. Isn't it more likely that they are just cutting these people in an attempt to cut costs for next season? I could be wrong but something tells me those old roles won't be filled. The two previously independent sections have been merged into one which is of course going to result in less employees.

Not so sure about the financial situation at the club and I'm 99% sure we won't hear anything about it like we did from David May.
    IIRC the NRL has a list of positions that need to be filled in a number of depts if a club is to receive the full NRL grant.

While I hope anyone fired quickly finds new work I also doubt that their positions would have been cut if the Club or NRL thought they were necessary.

And Annersley wrote those rules so he would know how to manipulate them. Nothing more than a cost-cutting exercise for mine.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    And Annersley wrote those rules so he would know how to manipulate them. Nothing more than a cost-cutting exercise for mine.
    Agree 100%. You have to ask the question though, if our finances were in good nick then why would we need to cut costs? The only explanation is that our finances aren't going so well...

No not accurate, Anz bank made 2 billion dollars profit and still restructured and cut fat. Getting rid of crap is good for the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Annersley was in parliament when the NRL did that mate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy1979 View Post
    No not accurate, Anz bank made 2 billion dollars profit and still restructured and cut fat. Getting rid of crap is good for the bottom line.
    What's more likely? We are making profit and just cutting unnecessary employees or we are cutting people because we didn't make a profit this year?