KALIFA Faifai Loa signed with the Gold Coast Titans looking for a new beginning.

But he'll end up seeing a familiar face when he runs into ex-Cowboys coach and new Titans assistant Neil Henry on the first day of pre-season training next week.

Faifai Loa, who played just seven NRL games under Henry this year, said his former mentor's presence at the Gold Coast wouldn't derail his quest for NRL redemption.

"I had talks with them (Titans) before he (Henry) was even coming," the 23-year-old said.

"What a weird way of him and me coming here. He was good to me last year so hopefully he is next year.

"I don't blame him for not playing me. Hopefully it's a new story.

"He'll know what I'm capable of doing and if I'm not up to scratch he can go up and tell the boss 'this is not him and not what he does'.

"He's going to be assistant coach and the boss is Cartwright."

After 37 NRL games between the Dragons and Cowboys, Faifai Loa is looking to find a permanent spot in first grade.

But he isn't sure what he needs to do to achieve that.

"I wouldn't have a clue. Train hard and play hard," he said.

And as for what part of his game needs work?

"Everyone knows that back at home. You guys should know," he said.

"You will know soon."

Faifai Loa is stuck in a production line of outside backs at the Titans who boast Kevin Gordon and David Mead on their wings.

He will likely start the season in Queensland Cup and said he was keen to return to the wing after winning the Intrust Super Cup premiership this year playing for Mackay in the centres.

"I've been playing centre in Q-Cup but I like playing wing," he said.

"There's a little bit of stuff I need to work on in pre-season.

"I don't care where I play, Q-Cup or NRL, but everyone wants to play NRL and be up to that scratch.

"The next two years I'm going to look forward to."

Faifai Loa has played three international Tests - two for New Zealand and one for Samoa.