Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Blake Ferguson to make boxing debut

Blake Ferguson is set to make his boxing debut on the undercard of next Wednesday night's bout between Anthony Mundine and Shane Mosley at Sydney Entertainment Centre.

Ferguson, who was sacked by Canberra before the end of the NRL season, is being mentored by his Mundine, who is his second cousin.

The 23-year-old NSW Origin star is yet to find an NRL club and is unlikely to have a contract registered by the NRL for the start of next season.

He has been training with Mundine and will debut at heavyweight level on the undercard of his bout against Mosley, the seven times world champion who has been in Sydney for two weeks preparing for the fight.

Ferguson was shown the door by Canberra after failing to show up for training and not responding to calls from the club in what were the latest in a long list of off-field misdemeanours.

His axing followed a charge of indecent assault that's still before the courts following a night out with former teammate Josh Dugan in June.

With his elder cousin Mundine by his side at Tony Mundine's gym in Redfern, Ferguson apologised to the Raiders for his actions, but said he was dealing with a number of personal issues at the time.

"Looking back at it I probably did the wrong thing by the club," Ferguson said.

"I feel sorry for the fans and the coaching staff and the players that I let down.

"But I had to leave for a reason as there were a few in-house personal things going on in my life."

Ferguson made the decision to go into the ring just two weeks ago and looked light years away from professional standard as he worked on the pads in the ring with Mundine senior on Tuesday.

However, Anthony Mundine said it was more important that Ferguson restored his focus to get back on the straight and narrow.

"I had to get his mind focused and his mindset right and boxing is the perfect outlet to let him escape from all the dramas of the past," Mundine said.

"Obviously he's a novice and no Mike Tyson. But he's putting his best foot forward and has improved a hell of lot over the last few weeks and had three full sparring sessions now."

Ferguson said his future in rugby league was in the hands of the NRL and hoped boxing would help convince the powers that he was on the right path to redemption.

"Training is a lot harder than rugby league and it has freed my mind a bit," he said.

"I am going good, just working through a few things. After the fight I will look at my football again as there are a few opportunities out there."

After leaving Canberra, Ferguson spent time working as a labourer and realised he was in danger of throwing away a lucrative career.

"I was working for two weeks and it opened my eyes a bit," he said.

"There was all these million dollar houses and I was thinking `I should own one of these'.

"So I thought I should go back and do something I'm good at."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/b...#ixzz2hqtkGwJS

I was always planning on heading down to my local to watch this Mundine fight night, but it looks like I might have to get there a bit earlier now and sit through a lot of trashy undercard's to see this.

I doubt I will be very impressed though.

Hopefully there are 2 knock outs on the night Mundine is no chance
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Hopefully there are 2 knock outs on the night Mundine is no chance
    Haha, yep. Sugar has never been stopped in a 20 year career, and he has fought the absolute best. Mundine has failed to end fights against much lesser opponents and has been left stone cold in the ring by lightweight punchers.

I don't think it will be on either of these guys highlights reel.

Mundine has kept his mouth shut for a change, apparently out of respect for Shane Mosley (fair enough), but Mosley has been giving great quotes, such as:
    Asked why he would fight an Australian with no world title and zero reputation Stateside, Mosley continued: “Look, Anthony wants to use me for recognition in America and I’m using him as a warm up to my next fight.

Default Mundine vs Mosley fight is cancelled.

Shane Mosley has abandoned Wednesday night's bout with Anthony Mundine in a dispute over payment.

Mosley has confirmed that he has withdrawn from the fight due to a contractual dispute with the fight’s promoter Vlad Warton.

Mosley said in a statement issued by Golden Boy Promotions that he was instead going home after a ‘‘breach of contract by the event's co-promoter, Millennium Events’’, which had prompted him to walk away from the fight.
    Anthony Mundine and Shane Mosley

"I'm very disappointed with this turn of events because I was planning on making a big statement by beating Mundine, but I was left with no choice but to withdraw," Mosley said.
    Advertisement

"The fans in Australia have welcomed me with open arms, and I hope to return to fight for them one day in better circumstances."

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer said Mosley had no other option after the remaining $700,000 of his $1 million purse for the fight was not paid as required under the terms of the contract by 5pm Monday.
    Homeward bound: Mosley with training partner Sergio Mora ready to depart Sydney Airport.

"It's unfortunate that this fight will not be taking place, and we apologise to all of Shane's Australian fans, but there are contracts in place for a reason, and when the terms are not adhered to, we have no choice but to protect our fighter, and that's what happened here," Schaefer said.

Warton was desperately trying to convince Mosley not to quit the fight but Australian boxing great Jeff Fenech said Mosley had already gone through Customs and would fly out to Los Angeles over the non-payment of $700,000 he was owed for the bout.

Fairfax Media was told Mosley is booked in business class on an 11am Qantas flight to Los Angeles.

"Shane has listened to his management, his contract wasn't fulfilled and he went home," Fenech told Sky Sports Radio.

"He is managed by professional people in America and there was something that wasn't done contractually so he has been told to go home."

The 42-year-old American received $300,000 of his $1 million purse for the fight before arriving in Australia three weeks ago but had been seeking the remainder of the money before getting in the ring on Wednesday night.

Fairfax Media has been told an emergency meeting was held at The Star on Monday to try and resolve the issue but when the money wasn't forthcoming by 5pm Mosley's management company Golden Boy Promotions advised him not to fight.

A witness told Fairfax Media he saw a man resembling Mosley pushing a trolley into Sydney International Airport this morning, dressed in green cargo pants and wearing Nike trainers.

Fenech said he had personally put up $500,000 of his own money to get Mosley to fight in Australia.

‘‘I didn’t know that in his contract there was a clause that he needed another $700,000 before the fight. I didn’t know any of that, I was just told he needed the money to be here, his down payments and a few other things,’’ Fenech said.

‘‘I have got a meeting later on in the morning with the promoter so we will see what happens. It is a little bit disappointing, especially with me putting up that money early and not knowing that more money was needed and not knowing that the promoter didn’t have the funds to facilitate what was needed.’’

Mosley’s sparring partner Sergio Mora confirmed the fight was off in a series of tweets from the airport.

"FIGHT IS OFF. We came. We saw. We got misled," Mora tweeted. "Whether in the US or Australia, boxing is and always will be a ’shady’ sport. Dirty, dirty fighters in this sport.’’

‘‘HARD WORK doesn’t always pay off in boxing. Whether it is a cancelled event or bad (crooked) judging, a boxer can squander 2’months of training without winning anything.’’

‘‘I don’t think it was Mundine. From what I saw ’n’ met. He was a cool guy. From what I heard he was prepared to fight.’’

A press conference featuring the rival boxers at the Star was cancelled without explanation on Monday.

Mosley, who said in a video interview posted on Twitter on Monday he was receiving $1 million for the bout "otherwise I would be fighting Vic Ortiz for $250,000 or $200,000", also failed to turn up for a scheduled appearance with Mundine on Channel Nine's Wide World of Sports on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/s...#ixzz2iRNIUdkm

I'm actually gutted by this late news. I've been really looking forward to this fight, and was pretty keen to see Ferguson throw a few too.

To be honest, I actually feel a bit sorry for Mundine too, because he was ready to fight, put in the hard yards and made the weight, so really disappointing all round.

All of Mundines hate & Bullshyte over the years has come back to bite him on the **** by selling sweet FA in ticket sales & pay TV, the bloke who seems to be mostly out of pocket is Fenech who put up most of the money to promote the fight...as for Ferguson..who cares
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    All of Mundines hate & Bullshyte over the years has come back to bite him on the **** by selling sweet FA in ticket sales & pay TV, the bloke who seems to be mostly out of pocket is Fenech who put up most of the money to promote the fight...as for Ferguson..who cares
    JEFF Fenech lost $500,000 on what he now claims is an irrefutable truth: “Anthony Mundine is the most hated Australian ever”.

Mundine is today at the centre of a sporting gaffe to rival Fine Cotton and Trevor Chappell bowling underarm after US great Shane Mosley sensationally withdrew from tonight’s scheduled bout at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

The controversial Redfern fighter has also been labelled “a bull**** artist” by Fenech after yesterday claiming little knowledge of what the Australian fight great had done to help save the fight, including a $350,000 cash payment when Mosley first threatened to walk in August.

Asked at a press conference if he felt sorry for the Marrickville Mauler, who all up has lost half-a-million dollars, Mundine laughed and said no.

“And, look, he can say what he likes,’’ Fenech said last night. “I now realise Anthony Mundine is the most hated Australian ever.

“This fight, he just couldn’t sell it. Nobody cares anymore. I’m sure he thinks he will come out of this okay, but you saw his press conference, it was typical Mundine bull****.

“He knew exactly what I’d done for this fight because we spoke about it. Often. I’m not worried about the money but when so many people helped him get to a bloke he never could’ve on his own . . . classless.”
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/bo...-1226744836562

Sugar Shane Mosley slams Australian boxing as 'mafia' after failed Anthony Mundine fight
    Nick Walshaw The Courier-Mail October 24, 2013 6:45PM

JEFF Fenech has slammed Anthony Mundine's role in the Shane Mosley no fight fiasco while Mosley has likened Australian boxing to "the mafia days".

Fenech stumped up money to help host the fight but Mundine was dismissive when asked if he felt sorry for Fenech when the bout against Mosley fell through.

"You will never be in the hall of fame, you’re in one hall, the hall of shame and that’s where you belong," an angry Fenech fired at Mundine on Fox Sports News.

Fenech could lose an estimated $500,000 backing the fight, although he says promoter Vlad Warton has told him he'll try to get his money back.

"Before this it was on shaky ground," Fenech said of Mundine’s career. "Now it is on no ground… I believe that Anthony has done what he has always done – he’s been classless and he doesn’t think about what he says.

"Here was a guy who put up my own money on my own home to try and help you Anthony and you disrespected me. For that Anthony I will never respect you again in my life."

As revealed exclusively by The Daily Telegraph, ageing US great Mosley walked out on his Sydney fight with Anthony Mundine - scheduled for last night - after remaining payments on his $1 million purse were not met.

Asked about the debacle upon returning to Los Angeles, Mosley compared the Australian fight scene to being "like the mafia days" - admitting to fearing the Mundine fight was set be swayed by dodgy referees, officials and illegal betting.

While many in the Mundine camp hope to salvage the fight, Fenech believes Mosely is gone for good.

"Shane will not come back," Fenech stated.

"Khoder (Nasser) can jump on a plane, they can waste money and I hope they do waste money. I wasted enough money trying to get them the fight.

"I am going to make sure no Australians support you guys."

Fenech said Australians should not pay to watch Mundine's fights.

"Give it to the fire people, give it to those poor people up the Blue Mountains who need $50, you give them $50, I’ll give them $50 more. He doesn’t need any money."

Mosley, one of the greatest fighters of the modern era, also confirmed reports in The Daily Telegraph today that he would not be returning for a proposed card, to be promoted by Team Mundine, in Brisbane on December 4.

"It seems like they're still behind the times with their boxing - it's like the mafia days,'' future Hall of Famer Mosley said in an interview with fighthype.com.

"I'm hearing that people watch the judges; they're sitting behind them looking at them while they mark their scores and ****.

"Their commission is not really strong like ours, so it's like anything goes. That's what I kept hearing."

Mosley said he was not convinced he would be paid the rest of his purse and added: "And then the referees and judges; I don't know who they were.

"I was like, 'Naw, y'all crazy. Y'all trippin'. So I was instructed to get on the plane and get my ass back because it ain't happening."

Mosley also said he feared "being stiffed" when members of Team Mundine phoned him at Sydney airport, shortly before he departed, claiming they now had the $700,000 still owed to him.

"Even up until the fight, they didn't have the money," he said.

"I'm at the airport and Anthony Mundine's manager was trying to call me, but he ended up getting (partner) Bella (Gonzalez) on the phone. He's telling her, 'Tell Shane don't leave. We have the $700,000 now'.

"Bella was like, 'We're about to board the plane right now'. We're at the airport, bags ready to go, and he's talking about don't leave.

"It was contracted that they have it 10 days before the fight. I waited 10, 9 all the way to 3 days before the fight, and they still didn't have the money.

"It's a breach of contract. Vlad (Warton) and Millenium breached the contract. We tried; Golden Boy (Promotions) tried ... We were about to get stiffed."

Mosley said embattled promoter Warton had promised to have the $700,000 still owing on his purse paid 10 days before the fight.

"They were supposed to give me $700,000 before I entered the ring 10 days before the fight," he said.

Mosley's walk out on Mundine isn't the first time professional boxing has descended into farce, with a number of incidents in recent year's tarnishing the sport's reputation.

"He (Warton) couldn't be found. He was trying to get the money, the $700,000. So what was going on is he wouldn't answer them until the last minute.

"And by the way, they only sold 1500 seats, and that was like a day before the weigh-in, so that means that they didn't even have enough to pay me let alone Anthony Mundine, so what are they gonna pay?"

Mosley said he was unaware until later than the $300,000 he was paid was provided by Australian fight legend Jeff Fenech, who is out of pocket about $460,000 from the failed bout. Mosley said the payment plan seemed shady from the outset.

"They're talking about a line of credit and then Jeff threw some money up, so he has an investment in it, and then you have this other guy who's going to pay a little bit, $200,000," he said.

- See more at: http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sp....RcG6jjrq.dpuf
    #itaintweaktospeak

Is anyone really surprised?
    At least no-one blew another 5mins of their life and $50 of their hard earned watching another Mundine circus.
    Money aside, still a good decision for Mosely to steer clear of this one.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Shane Mosley likely to return to Australia to fight Anthony Mundine in late November

Nick Walshaw Daily Telegraph
    FOX SPORTS
    November 06, 2013 12:24PM

ANTHONY Mundine has coaxed US great Shane Mosley back to Sydney - with the pair set to announce on Thursday that the fight is back on for November.

It can be revealed Mundine and his manager, Khoder Nasser, have guaranteed a figure believed to be in excess of $1 million to return the Future Hall of Famer Down Under after he sensationally walked out two days before their initial bout last month.

Mundine is expected to announce in a press conference that the fight is back on, with the date November 27 at All Phones Arena.

Mosley also confirmed via Twitter that he's likely to come back to Sydney for the fight.

"Yes, it looks like Australia," Mosley said when asked by a fan.

While Golden Boy Promotions initially told Australian sources their fighter would not be returning, it's understood Mundine has put together a purse greater than the $1 million Mosley was initially offered by promoter Vlad Warton.

When Mosley was not paid that amount prior to their fight at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, as stipulated in the contract, he and his team walked at the 11th hour.
    Looks like we'll have to go through another Mundine circus.

I just hope this will be his last fight.

Goodluck trying to put bums on seats..

Farce as Anthony Mundine-Shane Mosley undercard fight canned

Paul Kent
    The Daily Telegraph
    November 27, 2013 5:20PM

Anthony Mundine has been inexplicably quiet ahead of his upcoming bout with Shane Mosley, here we take a look back at some of his best and worst trash talk.

Anthony Mundine and Shane Mosley official weigh-in at Allphones Arena , Homebush.Picture Gregg Porteous

Anthony Mundine and Shane Mosley official weigh-in at Allphones Arena , Homebush.Picture Gregg Porteous Source: News Limited

TONIGHT'S Anthony Mundine fight card has been decimated with one undercard fight already cancelled and another on the verge of being canned.

The NSW Combat Authority has cancelled the Bilal Akkawy-Jacques Henrisson fight after being made aware of the wild mismatch the contest promised to be.

Akkawy is 7-0 with six knockouts while Henrisson (0-12-2) is yet to register a win in 14 fights.

It is understood the Victorian Combat Authority withdrew its support after being made aware of the quality of Henrisson's opponent.

"The Victorian board withdrew their clearance for Henrisson," NSW Combat Authority's Craig Waller said.

"I don't know why, all I got was an email that said they withdrew their clearance."

An anonymous tip warned the Victorian authorities after the caller originally failed to convince NSW officials the fight was a mismatch.

NSW Combats Sports Authority chairman Denis Fitzgerald confirmed the Akkawy-Henrisson was cancelled today while another was currently under review.

"It's very much an operational matter that the chief combat sports inspector is looking after, but basically they have informed me of that," Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald said the Authority is also waiting on information from interstate authorities before a decision would be made on the other fights.

"They are waiting on information from interstate because if they are not registered in NSW and they're not registered anywhere else they can't fight," Fitzgerald said.

"They're checking with other bodies to see whether they are in fact registered because, as you know, people in the fight game sometimes tells fibs."

The fight promises to be a night of mismatches and barely contestable bouts.

Ahmed Dib (9-0) will fight Mike Wanprasent (8-23-1) and, in another mismatch, Sam Ah See (7-0) fights Daniel Roy Maxwell (1-15-1).

Both fights will go ahead while, elsewhere, Dylan Emery (7-0) fights Singkasem Sithkruwin on debut, and they're not even the other fight in question.

That would be David Aloua (8-1) versus Mosese Sorovi.

Sorovi is 43 and has fought just five times in the past 13 years, which included an eight year lay-off, and will be an incredible mismatch if it goes ahead.

Sorovi is currently unregistered.

"He's trying to get registered at the last minute in Western Australia," Waller said.

"All I need is to do is get a reply from Western Australia."

Anthony Mundine and Shane Mosley official weigh-in at Allphones Arena, Homebush. Picture Gregg Porteous

Anthony Mundine and Shane Mosley official weigh-in at Allphones Arena, Homebush. Picture Gregg Porteous Source: News Limited

The only fight featuring two fighters relatively evenly matched fighters, other than the main event, is Joseph Kwadjo (21-6) against Renold Quinlan (5-0) and NRL player Blake Ferguson on debut against fellow debutant Luke Turner.

The eight fight card will now be seven, or maybe six fights.

For Mundine, the dream is a crack at supremely gifted WBA super welterweight Floyd Mayweather, indisputably the world's best pound for pound boxer.

An absolutely woeful night of boxing, some of the most ridiculous bouts i have ever seen. I've honestly seen better boxing at the local PCYC than some of the rubbish served up tonight. Out of a whole nights card, there was only one fight that went the distance and was an even match. Probably the low point of Australian professional boxing on the big stage.

Blake Ferguson is not a boxer. He is not even a fighter. He may be tough, but he has absolutely no skills in the ring and doesn't deserve to be there. He has some power though and almost got away with a lucky win through ugly punching.

The Mundine fight was as farcical as most Mundine fights are, but you'll read all about that in the papers.

A terrible, terrible night of farce.