Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default World Club Challenge: ROOSTERS vs WIGAN

It seems I post this every year around this time. But there seems to be a genuine possibility. Roosters v Wigan at the SFS.

TBH I actually feel compelled to attend.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Rugby league's World Club Challenge set for Sydney return after 40-year absence

Dean Ritchie The Daily Telegraph October 11, 2013 12:00AM

THE prestigious World Club Challenge is poised to return to Sydney after nearly 40 years.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal discussions between the NRL and Super League are well advanced with the annual February game likely to be played at Allianz Stadium.

Super League champions Wigan and will meet NRL premiers Sydney Roosters in what shapes as a lively preseason game.

The World Club Challenge has been contested 21 times, and only two have been played in Australia.

Wigan beat the Broncos in Brisbane in 1994 while Easts beat St Helens 25-2 in the inaugural WCC at the SCG way back in 1976.

No game has been played in Sydney since.

It is understood Wigan is keen to come to Australia to play while NRL clubs have often complained about how the WCC can be draining and damaging.

No final decision on the venue has been reached but Allianz Stadium would be the logical stadium, given it is the Roosters' home ground.

"We are having ongoing discussions with the Roosters," said Andrew Hill, NRL general manager, league integration and game development.

"Nothing is finalised yet but our early discussions with Super League have been around the feasibility of playing the World Club Challenge in Australia.

"It’s been a long time since the World Club Challenge was played out here.

"Over the past two to three years we have had informal discussions with Super League and the RFL about it happening.

"We also have to take into consideration the wishes of the Super League premiers, Wigan.

‘’There is a strong consideration for the game to be played in Australia.’’

The Sydney Roosters last won the World Club Challenge back in 2003 with a whopping 38-0 win over St Helens at Bolton’s Reebok Stadium.

Wigan came from fourth spot this season to beat Warrington 30-16 in the Super League Grand Final.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/r...#ixzz2hMHHIL7e
    #itaintweaktospeak

I would love to go & tick another one off the bucket list
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I went to the first one in '76.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Shows how much older u are then me
    #itaintweaktospeak

And what you save in airfares would pay for about 8 beers at the stadium. Might even be enough left over for a pie.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    WOW! That is a bit of history. Any memories of it?

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    WOW! That is a bit of history. Any memories of it?
    Nope...not really

I was 19 at the time and a mate was an Easts supporter who convinced me to go. I had to have a sickie because from memory it was a midweek game..

At the time I played soccer for Woy Woy Roosters and as you would surmise their emblem was a rooster. So we both wore our 'roosters' tracksuit tops to the game and looked very impressive if I say so myself.

I had someone come up to me (an Easts supporter after he found out the 'roosters' jacket was a fake and also discovered I was a Manly supporter) and bet me $100 @10/1 that Roosters would finish higher than Manly....I declined the offer...Oh, to have hindsight!

The date and venue of the World Club Challenge has been confirmed

THE date and venue of the first World Club Challenge to be held on Australian soil in two decades have been confirmed - Saturday 22 February at Allianz Stadium.

The NRL is hoping to sellout the clash between Australian premiers Sydney Roosters and their Super League peers, Wigan Warriors, which will also be broadcast live on Channel Nine.

It's understood Wigan are planning to head Down Under two weeks in advance of the match and possibly play a lead-up game against Papua New Guinea in Port Moresby.

Despite being on home turf at Moore Park, the schedule also creates a tough dilemma for the Roosters - with the inaugural NRL Nines tournament to be staged in Auckland the previous weekend.

All NRL clubs are expected to field at least two marquee players, but most of the Roosters squad will have barely resumed pre-season training after their post-World Cup break.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

I hope this is promoted as a game wide thing, not just a Roosters fixture.

Wigan gear up for World Club Challenge

Wigan are beginning to fine-tune their preparation for the World Club Challenge as they attempt to rebuild their championship winning side.

A new-look Wigan face NRL premiers the Sydney Roosters in Sydney on February 22 with much expectation on their new faces after the club's achievements in 2013.

But recruit Eddy Pettybourne has insisted he feels no pressure ahead of Wigan's Super League season opener against Huddersfield on Friday.

Shaun Wane's Wigan side stormed to the double last year, winning both the Super League Grand Final and the Challenge Cup in spectacular style.

Those trophies marked something of an end of an era at Wigan, however, as the likes of Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop and Pat Richards have since joined NRL clubs.

In their place Wane has brought in former North Queensland Cowboys fullback Matt Bowen and ex-Wests Tigers forward Pettybourne.

With one eye on the World Club Challenge Pettybourne said he is excited about what lies ahead.

"Wigan have bought a few good players and there are a few new faces as well as the youngsters," he said.

"We have got a good young pack of boys that are coming through so I have no doubt that the boys coming through are a big asset for the club.

"We want to start well against Huddersfield and then carry on.

"The World Club Challenge is massive as well, everyone is fighting over positions and there are a lot of good players in there who want to be in the top 17.

"That's their drive to be in that team and also to get to Sydney for the Roosters game."

http://www.nrl.com

I'll be there
    #itaintweaktospeak

I'll be there
    Fantastic, we need to make sure this big game isnt lost in the pre-season, especially the Nines. I wish I could attend. Ive only ever attended matches of the WCC set up by Super League in 1997.

I'll be there
    I'll be watching in a bar in Bangkok. But I will be flying the RL flag, might even take a footy with me and donate it to the bar.

The good thing is, no matter the result, my WCC will have a happy ending.

LOL Whiz!

Things not looking good for Wigan, got smashed by Huddersfield this morning.