Default Tough Mead keeps Cup dream alive

Tough Mead keeps Cup dream alive

David Mead is on the road to recovery after breaking his back and representing PNG at the 2008 World Cup. Pic: Brendan Radke

THE pain was so bad David Mead could barely sit up.

Driving to training was nearly impossible as the fractured vertebrae in his spine threatened to derail his promising career.

But it takes more than a broken back to keep this Kumul down.

The Titans speedster will today fly out of Australia for Papua New Guinea where he will begin preparations for his second Rugby League World Cup.

It's been six weeks since a sickening mid-air collision cracked Mead's back but you wouldn't know he's been through such an ordeal. "I've got another week and a half to go in my recovery. The physio's cleared me for the warm-up game against Scotland (October 19)," he said.

"It's just a little bone that had a hairline fracture in it and there was a risk of it chipping off.

"Every morning I was driving to training I was thinking 'this is ridiculous' because of the pain but I wasn't worried about the World Cup. It was still a fair way away.

"My confidence has always been good coming back from injuries. I've had the broken jaws."

Three shattered jaws, to be precise. The past two years have been injury-plagued for Mead but that hasn't stopped him continuing his climb up the rugby league tree.

Mead, 24, has now played 89 NRL games and scored 51 tries.

He's come a long way since making his international debut in the 2008 World Cup before he had played first grade.

"I went from under-20s to international football so it was a big stepping stone for me," he said.

"I hadn't had much experience playing against men.

"I got some belief playing against England and Australia and the experience of the camp was unreal.

"This World Cup will be a big step for us."

The Kumuls were dealt a massive blow when zippy hooker James Segeyaro was ruled out recently, leaving Mead, Neville Costigan and Ray Thompson as their recognised NRL players.

Mead is likely to be unleashed at fullback by coaches Adrian Lam and Mal Meninga and he said having Queensland's record-breaking mentor on board was a huge coup for the country.

"We had some dramas in the 2010 Four Nations with the PNG board and coaching staff and that took the game back a little bit," he said. "Mal and Lamy are trying to put some systems in place to help the country move forward.

"Everything's been good. They told me what their plans are for the next few years to help PNG move forward and I'm willing to help.

"Mal's massive on belief and preparation so that's what we'll be working on. His presence amongst the players is massive."

Mead will arrive in Port Moresby today to a typical homecoming with carloads of relatives awaiting him.

A decade ago his mother, Helen, sent him to Lismore to live with her sister, Kila, and her husband, Stephen Mead, to chase his dream.

Originally named David Moore, Mead changed his surname in 2008 to honour the impact Stephen, who died last year, had on his life.

And he's hoping to do the name proud when the Kumuls run out for their first game of the tournament against France on October 27.

"When I go back (to PNG) it's just home for me. The family lives in Moresby which is only 10 minutes from the airport and they usually come and pick me up in large numbers," he laughed.

"My dad's an Aussie but I never really knew him. I don't have much to do with him. I considered Stephen Mead to be my dad.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

he's fast becoming my favourite Titan. This kid is tough and courageous. He has speed, he has skills, he is positive and he is exciting to watch.

What a CHAMPION!!!

What a guy. Kumuls will be my 2nd team behind NZ (sorry Aus you're a near 3rd equal with scotland)

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    he's fast becoming my favourite Titan. This kid is tough and courageous. He has speed, he has skills, he is positive and he is exciting to watch.

What a CHAMPION!!!
    This bloke needs to be handing out the Teaspoons of his own Cement to some of the other boys in the team #ManofSteel
    #itaintweaktospeak

He ran water for the Kumuls in the PMs Match.

He said Segeyaro was on the field for 5 mins did a couple of runs, set up a try then tore his pec

Kumuls lack the big boppers up front and now they have lost their X factor...but they are going to be the team I follow
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

He is what true footballers are made of he ticks all the boxes on and off the field
    I am a big fan as well

Oh terrible news about Segeyaro! Great to hear David was actually up running water. He just impresses me on and off the field. What a legend.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER