Default SBW will play World Cup for Kiwis!

Sonny Bill Williams is set to provide a huge boost to New Zealand's World Cup defence - and the tournament itself -*after making himself available for the Kiwis.

Williams was not in the 24 man squad named by New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney earlier today after saying he had other commitments.
    But*the Sydney Roosters and All Blacks superstar*has since had a change of heart and advised Kearney he wanted to help the Kiwis win back to back World Cups.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

What a champion.

So, nothing better for him to do than actually play for his country in the sport that has made him a human headline for the past 12 months, and he's just won a premiership in.

yep, a real shining beacon of loyalty and respect. :boo:

Maybe Allah said he should play.....

More reason to cheer on the Roos!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    What a champion.

So, nothing better for him to do than actually play for his country in the sport that has made him a human headline for the past 12 months, and he's just won a premiership in.

yep, a real shining beacon of loyalty and respect. :boo:

Maybe Allah said he should play.....
    Maybe it has something to do with his "3rd Party sponsor" in David Gyngall saying if u play I will give you another Mill Bro

Then we can see more SBW love stories on 9
    #itaintweaktospeak

Tohu Harris has been cut for Sonny Bill Williams.

Harris cut, SBW into NZ World Cup squad

Melbourne back-rower Tohu Harris has been punted from New Zealand's rugby league World Cup squad to make way for the inclusion of superstar back-rower Sonny Bill Williams.

Williams on Tuesday completed a u-turn on his availability for the end of season tournament, having initially insisted he was keen to rest after helping the Sydney Roosters to the NRL premiership.

Harris was named as part of coach Stephen Kearney's 24-man squad before Williams sparked controversy by reversing his decision and declaring he was ready to join New Zealand's title defence.

He came in at Harris' expense, with World Cup organisers accepting Williams' registration.

"It's been a tough situation, but Sonny brings things to the group that we couldn't ignore," Kearney said.

"He has had time since his NRL grand final win to clear his head and he wants to represent the Kiwis on the world stage.

"He missed our 2008 World Cup win and his inclusion will be a great asset in trying to repeat that success this year.

"It's not only his footballing ability, but also what he brings off the field which will benefit the team."

Harris, who made his debut in the mid-year Test against Australia that Williams missed due to a one-week knee injury, will now miss out.

The NZRL said in a statement it was in the 21-year-old's "best interests to stay in Melbourne and have a decent off-season".

"Tohu handled the situation as well as anyone could," said Kearney.

"It was a conversation no coach would like to have, but he's a terrific young man and I'm sure he'll have many more opportunities to pull on the black jersey.

"It's been a unique set of circumstances for all involved, but for now our focus is getting set to defend the World Cup with the team we have."

It was widely assumed Williams' initial reluctance to take part in the World Cup was because he was heading back to rugby union with the Chiefs in 2014.

But having made himself available, there is now genuine hope in the rugby league community that the dual international could stay on for another season with the Roosters.

Williams revealed his desire to play for the Kiwis via Twitter.

"After a few tough seasons topped with an amazing one with the boys at the Roosters, I was then faced with the opportunity to have a long awaited break and go on holiday with my family," he wrote.

"Without thinking the whole situation through thoroughly, I eagerly jumped at the chance to chill out and rest.

"After having some time to really think about how much representing my country means to me, I decided to then put my name forward for selection.

"Now I know the squad's already picked and I understand if I can't be a part of it, but I'm here and ready to help the brothers if they want me."

Williams' presence will put the heat on favourites Australia, with the Kiwis now boasting a 28-year-old capable of toppling the most dominant side in international rugby league.

But Williams may have some ground to make with fans following his u-turn.

A survey on the Fairfax Media website found almost 60 per cent of respondents did not believe he should be included in the Kiwis squad.

A New Zealand Herald poll had about one-third of fans against him and one third for, with 31 per cent clicking "I've lost interest in the SBW show".

http://www.nrl.com

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    one-third of fans against him and one third for, with 31 per cent clicking "I've lost interest in the SBW show".

http://www.nrl.com
    +1.

'Half-a-game' Sonny Bill Williams won't be missed, says league legend John Sattler

SOUTHS legend John Sattler has launched a stinging attack on "half-a-game" Sonny Bill Williams, saying his likely departure from the NRL will not be the crushing blow many envisage.

Williams' murky future took another bizarre twist on Tuesday night when he made himself available for New Zealand's World Cup campaign - just hours after ruling himself out of the event.

The shock backflip prompted Test selector Richie Barnett to accuse the Roosters superstar of "disrespecting" the Kiwis as he weighs up a likely return to New Zealand rugby after the World Cup.

While Williams' signing with the NZRU appears a fait accompli, Roosters chairman Nick Politis is refusing to give up hope of keeping the dual international at Bondi.

But Sattler is not convinced Williams' weekly contributions match the hype. Souths' last premiership-winning captain in 1971, Sattler attended last Sunday night's grand final and walked away lukewarm about the Kiwi Test star's game of two halves.

The Roosters have formally approached the NRL seeking salary cap assistance to retain Williams, but Sattler says the code owes the 108kg forward no favours.

"I don't think we'd miss him, the game goes on," said Sattler, a former Test captain.

"Once they start this, 'will I or won't I go' ... well just leave Sonny Bill.

"If your heart isn't in rugby league, go and play another code.

"The game shouldn't do any more than it has already to keep him."

While he made uncharacteristic mistakes in the opening half of the grand final, Williams produced a superb second stanza, finishing with 23 tackles and 141 metres from 14 runs.

Tohu Harris has been punted from NZ's rugby league World Cup squad to make way for Sonny Bill Williams.
    This season, the 28-year-old has averaged 12 hit-ups, 24 tackles and 108 metres per game, figures Sattler believes do not denote greatness.

"He can't be considered a great of the game, imagine putting him in the same league as Bob McCarthy, Ron Coote or Reg Gasnier," Sattler said.

"He doesn't get involved enough, he hangs around and every so often he will make a great run, but he has no work-rate.

"His first half the other night was woeful, in grand finals your first half is crucial so he really played half-a-game.

"Sonny Bill wouldn't hold a candle to Coote or McCarthy. There's no doubt he has plenty of ability but in my opinion he just doesn't do enough work."

NRL GF
    Sonny Bill Williams in action for the Sydney Roosters in the NRL Grand Final.
    Despite Barnett's blast, the NZRL eventually added Williams to their Cup squad, just prior to the forward explaining his backflip on social media.

"Without thinking the whole situation through, I eagerly jumped at the chance to chill out and rest," he said.

"After having some time to really think about how much representing my country means to me, I decided to put my name forward for selection."

Maroons coach Mal Meninga believes NRL hierarchy can do no more to prevent Williams returning to play for the Chiefs and All Blacks in 2014.

"I think the NRL have done enough," Meninga said.

SONNY BILL WILLIAMS APOLOGISES TO KIWI FANS, TEAM 1:10
    Play video

Sonny Bill Williams has issued an apology for his World Cup selection backflip, insisting his decision to take a holiday was not thoroughly considered.
    "Sonny Bill understands how much the game wants him to stay. It's a personal decision. The game has told Sonny Bill how much they want him to stay and they will do everything they possibly can, but at the end of the day it will be his decision."

Broncos rival Justin Hodges urged Williams not to walk away from rugby league.

"I think he has been fantastic for the game," he said.

"When you lose players like Karmichael (Hunt) and 'Izzy' (Folau) to other codes, it makes their codes bigger.

"We need our big names to stay, a guy like Sonny Bill draws fans and entertains.

"Having him this year made the game a bit more hyped and I think he's a fantastic athlete. The Roosters have the money to keep him, it's just a matter of whether he wants to stay on. I hope he does."

http://www.couriermail.com.au