Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I have to say that the booing of DCE was disgraceful. If he wasn't the best on the park then he was second best and he didn't vote for it anyway.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I have to say that the booing of DCE was disgraceful. If he wasn't the best on the park then he was second best and he didn't vote for it anyway.
    I was shocked and disgusted. I imagine this was by Roosters fans?

I guess a Premiership and Minor Premiership wasn't good enough for them.

MOM awards are often contentious especially Clive Churchill Medals.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    haha, nah, I had it as LAST try. There was a few minutes where I was hoping no one would score any more tries.

Does anyone know how penalty tires work? I thought the idea was you got an extra shot at goal for the penalty, hence the term "possible 8 points"? Or is that only if you get the penalty in the act of ACTUALLY scoring the try?
    A Penalty try is a betting option so if u backed Lyon for 1st try scorer of the 2nd half u would've lost...

It was the best GF i have seen live in the past 15 years, brilliant crowd & atmosphere , very effen Hot , it was still 29 deg at 9pm could only imagine how hot it was for the players ..

Whiz is spot on Wolfman single handedly cost Manly the game even considering a few bad decisions from the Refs

Look forward to next year already
    #itaintweaktospeak

Joyce Churchill slams Roosters fans who booed Daly Cherry-Evans for winning

SYDNEY Roosters fans who booed and jeered a decision to award Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans the Clive Churchill Medal winner have been described as a "disgrace".

The stinging rebuke comes from none other than Joyce Churchill, the widow of Immortal Clive, who the award was named after back in 1986.

The Clive Churchill Medal for man-of-the-match honours in a Grand Final was thrown into controversy on Sunday night when Cherry-Evans, halfback for losing team Manly, took the awards ahead of several Roosters stars.

Roosters fans were upset James Maloney, Jake Friend and Sonny Bill Williams were overlooked.

The Churchill medal is voted on by the Australian Test selectors - Bob Fulton (NSW), Des Morris (Queensland), Allan Smith (Queensland) and Bob McCarthy (NSW).

Joyce said Cherry-Evans had every right to feel "disappointed".

"As you are well aware, I do not pick the player awarded my husband's medal, and I accept the judge's decision," she said.

"Daly Cherry-Evans was awarded the medal, he had played hard football all season, is a very good player and a fine person.

"To be booed after losing the Grand Final was a disgrace.

"He would have been disappointed enough at losing and I felt sorry for him.

"This would never have happened a few years ago but I suppose that's the modern world.

"As John Howard said to me later: 'I thought they only booed politicians'."

Influential Manly director Peter Peters was another to suggest the booing was unsporting.

"It was a poor reaction at a time of great joy for Roosters fans," said Peters.

"It was sadly lacking in sportsmanship.

"Daly didn’t choose the award and always represents himself and the game with respect.

"He was shown none."

Cherry-Evans was paying $7.50 to win the award at kick-off and $4.50 at halftime, according to TAB.

He became just the third player in the award's history to win from a defeated side.

Canberra's Bradley Clyde won it in 1991 after his team lost to Penrith while St George's Brad Mackay took the individual honour when his side lost to Brisbane in 1993.

After the game, Cherry-Evans appeared a little shellshocked at winning the award - and the reaction.

"It is a very bitter-sweet moment," Cherry-Evans said. "I would definitely swap it for a premiership ring."

Told very few losing players take the award, Cherry-Evans said: "It is stereotyped for winning sides. It was obviously a surprising moment."

Joyce was on stage to present the award to Cherry-Evans.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey stood up for his player.

"I thought he (Cherry-Evans) had a fantastic game," said Toovey. "Daly is a bit embarrassed but I thought he had a great game.

"It was just reward for how he played."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226734290708
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 08-10-13 at 03:01 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

WOLFMAN, where are you?

Manly winger David Williams hasn’t been spotted around rugby league since his side's heartbreaking 26-18 grand final loss to the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium.

It appears the Sea Eagles’ cult hero has gone AWOL.

Williams had a poor game, there is no way to mask it.

Earlier this week, Williams missed an individual season review with Manly coaching’s staff at the club’s Narrabeen headquarters.

He hasn’t contacted close friends or posted on social media for the past 14 days.

The former NSW winger has been left shattered by the grand final defeat.

Manly think Williams missed the season review because he lost his mobile phone and couldn’t be contacted. He is now on an end-of-season holiday.

"No one has sighted 'Wolfman'," said one source close to Williams.

A Manly contact added: "He was pretty shattered in the dressing room. He is out there somewhere letting his hair down.

"It has been a long season. No one is quite sure where he is."

Williams remains off contract for next season.

It is expected he will remain at Brookvale, but no official deal has been struck.

"I didn’t speak to David about specifics, but everyone was disappointed the way we led the grand final and let it slip away," Manly coach Geoff Toovey said.

"David had a sensational lead-up to the grand final, something everyone was proud of.

"A few players in the grand final could have played better on the night.

"That’s footy, that’s what grand finals are about. I know David is very pleased with the season he has had."

Outside of the grand final, the 'Wolfman' had a splendid season, scoring 20 tries in 27 games.

Williams hasn’t spoken publicly since the grand final, with teammates aware of his anguish. Manly fans have taken to social media to support their winger.

It appeared Manly fullback Brett Stewart exchanged words with Williams after Roosters winger Daniel Tupou scored a try from a bomb.

Melbourne-bound Manly forward George Rose on Tuesday supported Williams.

"I don’t think he needs to blame himself at all," Rose said.

"We all have our down times but he’s a good dude."

Critics and commentators were lining up to bag Williams during the grand final.

Williams said recently he wanted to sign a new deal at Manly.

"I’d love to stay. I’d love to finish my career at Manly," he said.

"I’ve found a home with the boys. So we’ll see how it plays out.

"I’ve always been a loyal sort of bloke and I always wanted to play for one club."
    - See more at: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/n....1evCQZ1u.dpuf