Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Neil Henry signs with Gold Coast Titans

Former North Queensland mentor Neil Henry signs with Gold Coast Titans as assistant coach

TRAVIS MEYN

GOLD COAST BULLETIN

SEPTEMBER 28, 2013 12:00AM

Cowboys coach Neil Henry is under pressure to keep his job. Picture: Wesley Monts Source: Townsville Bulletin

THE Titans have netted a huge off-field signing, with former Cowboys coach Neil Henry to join the Gold Coast next year as an assistant to John Cartwright.

The appointment of Henry comes days after Cartwright rejected a four-year, $2.5 million approach from wooden-spooners Parramatta.

Henry, a former assistant to Queensland coach Mal Meninga, will link with the Titans on a year-by-year basis and while his main role will be tactical, he will also oversee the development of the club’s fringe first graders.

Henry will have a get-out clause in his contract allowing him to sign with a rival club if he is offered a head coaching role.

It is a huge coup for the Titans, who were not confident of luring Henry into an assistant’s role after he was sacked by the Cowboys in July.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley would not confirm the appointment of Henry on Friday night, but said he was hopeful there would be "some announcements in the near future".

John Cartwright sits on the sideline at a Titans game. Picture: Adam Head
    "It’s common knowledge that there’s been a review going on for some time to provide John Cartwright with some additional support for next season," he said.

"The process started before my arrival and we’re hopeful there’ll be some announcements in the near future.

"There’s been a comprehensive review of the support system around John and hopefully these appointments will give him the level of support he needs."
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 28-09-13 at 07:59 AM.

Violently fist pumped my way out of bed reading this.

Not a new head coach but certainly the next best thing, woo

Very good news.

Very very good.

This is great news! Its now encouraging me to renew my membership for next season!

Fantastic news!!!!

Im not convinced yet.

Nothing official, year by year with get out clauses. Not the official assistant coach, just an assistant.

Does Murphy stay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Great news indeed.. But unfortunately the way the contract appears in might be written up, might allow Henry to take flight at any stage. Basically contracted to us, but still on the open market. And we all have a reasonably good understanding that Cartwright isn't going anywhere in a hurry (unless what justin mentioned the other day has some truth to it about looking to unload him).

But nonetheless, great news at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Im not convinced yet.

Nothing official, year by year with get out clauses. Not the official assistant coach, just an assistant.

Does Murphy stay?
    Take what you can get mate. The important thing for me is that he is to be used for tactical reasons, which says to me he will be there to give us a better game plan, and that's all we need.

I have never had any issue with the way Carty gets the boys ready for a game, with a really good attitude and plenty of heart, but he lacks creativity.

Neil Henry can change this.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Take what you can get mate. The important thing for me is that he is to be used for tactical reasons, which says to me he will be there to give us a better game plan, and that's all we need.

I have never had any issue with the way Carty gets the boys ready for a game, with a really good attitude and plenty of heart, but he lacks creativity.

Neil Henry can change this.
    Any change is welcomed.
    I don't agree that he gets us ready tho.
    Every big game we have had, against Brisbane, or Major Semi against Roosters, or to not get the wooden spoon, we have lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

This will be great to get some creativity on the field.

It's long been criticised that we let our juniors go to waste, maybe there'll be some change on that front too.

Anything is better than the nothing we have at the moment ... maybe if he announces his resignation after a couple of games the team can win twenty in a row
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Default I heard on here Dave furner for under 20s

Don't know if it will happen but would create a lot of opportunitys for south Logan players who may know David maybe a Mr Milford...
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan

Neil Henry was very smart to sign with the Titans. He knows Carty's job is under threat and if Carty can't do well in the next season then Neil Henry will step in as head coach anyway.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    Neil Henry was very smart to sign with the Titans. He knows Carty's job is under threat and if Carty can't do well in the next season then Neil Henry will step in as head coach anyway.
    We can only hope.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

any cowboys players with get out clause if the coach leaves?