Laurie Daley signs on to coach Blues until 2015

Laurie Daley will control the Blues for at least two more seasons after extending his contract as coach until the end of the 2015 series.

Daley, who was originally contracted until the end of next year, has added an extra year to the deal. The former NSW captain oversaw his first Origin series this year, watching on as the Blues went agonisingly close to beating Queensland who went on to win their eighth consecutive series.

"I was incredibly honoured to be originally appointed as coach," Daley said. "However, to already have confirmation that I have a further two years in the role is very exciting. The support and assistance I am getting from the new executive team in regards to attempting to bring my plans to life is extremely motivating and I am confident that our program will evolve to another level the next two years."

Daley replaced former teammate Ricky Stuart as Blues coach this year after Stuart stepped down.

Daley's Origin career got off to a dream start when the Blues beat the Maroons 14-6 in the opening game before off-field indiscretions cruelled their chances. Suspensions to Blake Ferguson and James Tamou became too much for NSW to overcome, with Queensland winning the final two games, 26-6 and 12-10, to extend their series streak.

NSW Rugby League chairman George Peponis said stability was key to ending Queensland's dominance.

"The NSWRL board and CEO have been very impressed with the manner in which Laurie has gone about his business," Peponis said. "His respect for the changes made by Ricky, his strategic approach in planning the 2013 campaign, his attention to detail and people management ensured that it was not a difficult decision to extend his contract."

Daley returned recently following a fact-finding trip in New Zealand to watch and learn from rugby union's the All Blacks.He spent time with All Blacks coach Steve Hansen and attended the side's match against South Africia at Eden Park.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2fLGbe5gM