Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default A REAL and FAIR comparison between the Titans and Suns

Before you chime in with your anti-AFL campaign please consider that this is a genuine attempt at comparing the two teams who hail from the Gold Coast. This is MY opinion and I invite you to share yours but please don't take this thread into the gutter. Try to be fair. This is just based on knowledge I have of the two teams. I will assess both teams in the following criteria: team success, fan base, stadium, marketability, community work, tv time and profitability.

Team Success
    Really a no brainer here. The Titans reached a preliminary final in 2010 while the highest the Suns have finished was 14th.

Winner: Titans

Fan Base
    Tough to judge. Not sure of the exact number of members but I believe the Titans have around 7.5k members and the Suns have 12.5k members. This is a big plus for the Suns as it shows their fans are willing to invest in the club. This isn't the first time this has happened either, the Suns have always had a larger membership base than the Titans. Another factor for the fan base is crowd attendances. The Titans have fallen off considerably in the last few years while the Suns crowds have been getting better. Both average around 14k at the moment. So... although I believe the Titans may have more total fans, I have to give to the Suns fans because they are more willing to invest in the team. Therefore, the better fan base IMO.

Winner: Suns

Stadium
    A 27k stadium vs a 25k staduim looks like a simple contest but there is more to it. The stadium deal the Titans have is not good (as we all know) while the Suns have quite a good deal. The Suns stadium will also be upgraded to 40,000 seats in four years time. Having said that, Robina stadium is located right next to a train station which is good. I have to go with Carrara though just because of what the stadium will become in the very short future. If there were no plans to upgrade Carrara it would be a very tight contest.

Marketability

Two factors here. The Titans get more exposure locally while the Sun get more exposure nationally. He may not be that popular in QLD or NSW but Gary Ablett is a huge name around the rest of Australia. By all accounts Ablett is the best player in the AFL. The Titans most marketable player is probably Jamal Idris but his hype has fallen off lately. I'm going to give this one a draw because the Titans are better off on the GC but the Suns are better off nationally.

Winner: Draw

Community Work

Anyone who followed the Titans in their first few years would know how much community work they did. It was huge and was very effectively. However, I feel this has dropped off in the recent years with school visits being one of the only forms of community work the Titans do these days. After doing some research I discovered that the Suns model is community based and they do an enormous amount of work in the community. Holding an event at their stadium for the homeless population of the GC is just one of many example of what they have done for the community this year. I gotta give this one to the Suns.

TV Time

Easy. Suns are shown live every week while the Titans aren't. The Suns also have their own show on channel 7. No contest.

Profitability

The Titans problem with debt has been well publicised but David May stated earlier this year that the Titans no longer are in doubt and make a small profit annually. The Suns made a profit in their first year but haven't reported on it in the last two years so I can only presume they are breaking even or making a loss. For this reason I have to give it to the Titans but it must be noted that the Suns could be making a profit and I just don't know about it.

Winner: Titans

You guys have a go. Feel free to add different forms of criteria but please try to stay fair. This is intended to be a civil conversation and not offensive.

I think you summed it up pretty well.

I like both the suns and Titans equally and for different reasons.
    I have been die hard league for all of my life but now the tide is turning.

I would much rather go to the AFL at Metricon, the stadium, the seating, the food and the atmosphere is much much better.

I prefer to watch league on TV though and that is why the Titans are having a tough time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers66 View Post
    I think you summed it up pretty well.

I like both the suns and Titans equally and for different reasons.
    I have been die hard league for all of my life but now the tide is turning.

I would much rather go to the AFL at Metricon, the stadium, the seating, the food and the atmosphere is much much better.

I prefer to watch league on TV though and that is why the Titans are having a tough time.
    You really think the tide is turning? If you what you say is true and the Suns offer the better game day experience then the Titans don't stand much of a chance going forward. Watching the sport on TV literally doesn't help the team at all. I get it though. The argument is that League is better on tv while AFL is better live.

Having said that, you think people are here are buying into the Suns model? I know they expecting to be challenging for premierships over the next few years and that will of course attract the bandwagon fans. Probably some of the same people that showed up to Titans games in 2010.

I can only presume you are a GC resident. You say you have been a league fan your whole life but support the Suns. This isn't a knock at you at all but do you mind explaining why? I'm really curious to learn how the Suns were able to achieve the seemingly impossible.

I guess the biggest question is - have they Gold Coast public accepted the Suns as their own?
    Last edited by CoastSportsFan; 17-09-13 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added question

One sport gets a point for fisting a behind
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Junior

To be frank, I find AFL boring to watch. Similar to throwing chips to seagulls down at the spit.

I have played both league and AFL and you have to appreciate the fitness involved with AFL, they are very fit blokes. I dont mind playing it either but when it comes to watching it I cant sit there for more than 10 mins.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    One sport gets a point for fisting a behind
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    To be frank, I find AFL boring to watch. Similar to throwing chips to seagulls down at the spit.

I have played both league and AFL and you have to appreciate the fitness involved with AFL, they are very fit blokes. I dont mind playing it either but when it comes to watching it I cant sit there for more than 10 mins.
    Okay. I don't know why this has happened when I explicitly said lets not turn this into your opinion on AFL the sport. We are comparing the two teams from each respective sport. This isn't an RL v AFL argument thread. Now that we have that sorted, how do you think the two team compare? Look at the criteria I have provided in the first post and tell me your opinion.

All Blacks

it is not comparing 2 teams, it is comparing 2 sports.

I am not going to defend the Titans atm, but that doesn't mean i think the Suns or AFL are better. I like League, pure and simple, that is why i am on a League forum, and not an AFL forum or the suns forum, if they have one.

If you wanted you could break down all the reasons why being married to a woman is not as good as hanging with your mates.

That still doesn't mean anyone would want to switch sides, and start batting for the other team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Banned

it is not comparing 2 teams, it is comparing 2 sports.

I am not going to defend the Titans atm, but that doesn't mean i think the Suns or AFL are better. I like League, pure and simple, that is why i am on a League forum, and not an AFL forum or the suns forum, if they have one.

If you wanted you could break down all the reasons why being married to a woman is not as good as hanging with your mates.

That still doesn't mean anyone would want to switch sides, and start batting for the other team.
    I didn't compare the sports in the first post? I just referred to things I knew about the two teams. I'm not asking you to defend the Titans and I'm not telling you to like the Suns or AFL. You are allowed to like League. We all do I think? But at the same time, you have to allow someone the right to like other sports as well. Since we live in a city that only has two pro sports teams it is interesting to compare them.

I'm not asking you to switch teams. I just want to hear how you think both teams are trekking at the moment and compare them. Surfers66 had the right idea with his response.

im the same i prefer to watch afl live and nrl on tv

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

My comments aren't intended as a AFL bash. But it does make me wonder how the Suns will survive once their pin up boy (Gary Abblet Jr) contract expires and he heads back down south. Fair enough, he may sign on for longer, but if previous whispers are anything to go by, it appears he does eventually intend to return down that way..

So post GA jr is going to give us a better indication to how the Suns pan out in the long run (I feel)..
    Last edited by Toads; 17-09-13 at 08:25 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    My comments aren't intended as a AFL bash. But it does make me wonder how the Suns will survive once their pin up boy (Gary Abblet Jr) contract expires and he heads back down south. Fair enough, he may sign on for longer, but if previous whispers are anything to go by, it appears he does eventually intend to return down that way..

So post GA jr is going to give us a real indication to how the Suns pan out in the long run (I feel)..
    Thank you for your opinion. So what do you think will happen if/when Gary Ablett leaves the Suns? According to wikipedia he is contracted until 2015 so that gives them minimum two more years with him. Is it possible another one of their players could become a poster boy? I guess we sort of struggled a bit after Princey.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    Thank you for your opinion. So what do you think will happen if/when Gary Ablett leaves the Suns? According to wikipedia he is contracted until 2015 so that gives them minimum two more years with him. Is it possible another one of their players could become a poster boy? I guess we sort of struggled a bit after Princey.
    Yeah, fair call. I was just about to mention that the Titans have gone through that development stage with our pin up boys/ drawcards of Princey, Rat, Friendy, Campbell, etc.. and now we're into rebuilding stage after they've since moved on. But unfortunately, I feel we're going to struggle for some time to come until we have some major changes with our Coaching Department. We've got a good squad on paper, it's just a matter of getting them all in sync 'n getting the best out of them as a team.

As for the Suns squad, I gotta be honest 'n wouldn't know who any of them are, apart from two or three players. So I really don't know if they have any others that are rising to the surface to take over the helm (post GA jr).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Yeah, fair call. I was just about to mention that the Titans have gone through that development stage with our pin up boys/ drawcards of Princey, Rat, Friendy, Campbell, etc.. and now we're into rebuilding stage after they've since moved on. But unfortunately, I feel we're going to struggle for some time to come until we have some major changes with our Coaching Department. We've got a good squad on paper, it's just a matter of getting them all in sync 'n getting the best out of them as a team.

As for the Suns squad, I gotta be honest 'n wouldn't know who any of them are, apart from two or three players. So I really don't know if they have any others that are rising to the surface to take over the helm (post GA jr).
    So obviously this will affect the marketability of both teams without a proper post boy. As I alluded to before, Jamal seems to be our poster boy now but is no where near as hyped as he used to be. The Suns will be hurt by Gary Ablett's departure even if they have another poster boy by that time. I have read articles that have stated he might be the best player ever so it's obviously a huge loss.

So the question I would ask you know is - how do the Titans/Suns improve in the areas of criteria I pointed out. How do the Titans improve their fan base, stadium, community work and tv time? Alternatively, how do the Suns improve team success and profitability? I understand you may not be extremely knowledgeable about the Suns but I'd appreciate the effort if you tried.

Banned

Didn't Gary Abletts father murder a girl?
    I just had a look into it and I think using the word murder is going a bit far. She overdosed and he said he provided her with the drug. I could see why you might accuse him of manslaughter but murder is definitely going too far.

Either way, it hasn't seemed to have affected his son at all who seems to be well respected in the AFL community. Painting a person with the same brush as one of their parents isn't far. Now, can we please stay on topic and actually compare the two teams in a fair and civil way?